AC30 vs Deluxe Reverb

Vince

• Members

Originally posted by Vince

Why do you say this? what did you not like about the vox?

Also, why does my heart say "get the Vox" and my head say "get the DRRI"?

Is it because I have too much love for Brian May and The Edge?
:love::freak:

I think you answered your own question there. If you want to nab the tones of May, Edge, Radiohead, Kinks, Beatles, REM etc, go with the Vox. If those tones won't fit your kind of music, be prepared to regret the purchase.

You already know how it sounds, I don't think those Vox tones are best suited to what you need, but you still want it! Maybe you could make it work, but don't expect it to sound like anything other than a Vox.

• Members

Originally posted by Teahead

By the way, to read countless threads praising the CC range, check out the

FWIW, these amps have done their growing up in public, so many initial problems have been ironed out and 98% was {censored}ty valves.

I've been lurking there for a while now.

Good points made above Tea. I suppose I'm reluctant to get the DRRI because I've wanted an AC30 for so long, and even though it may not be 100% suited to some of the music I play, now that I'm in the position to get one, I don't want to miss it.

• Members

... now that I'm in the position to get one, I don't want to miss it.

That's a tough one, because even if you choose the DR, you'll always be left with a Vox shaped hole, which could spoil your appreciation and enjoyment of the DR.

Any chance of you getting a pair side by side, or even visiting different shops to have a blast on each and give you some food for thought?

Not to make things worse, but the Tele is a perfect match for the AC30. A Les Paul can work too, but don't expect anything like a clean sound, it'll always have some break up. LP into rangemaster and cranked Normal Channel is a cracking rock tone.

• Members

Originally posted by Teahead

That's a tough one, because even if you choose the DR, you'll always be left with a Vox shaped hole, which could spoil your appreciation and enjoyment of the DR.

Any chance of you getting a pair side by side, or even visiting different shops to have a blast on each and give you some food for thought?

Not to make things worse, but the Tele is a perfect match for the AC30. A Les Paul can work too, but don't expect anything like a clean sound, it'll always have some break up. LP into rangemaster and cranked Normal Channel is a cracking rock tone.

Well I've had a good play on a VOX, but my last play on a DRRI was a long time ago and I didn't get a chance to crank it. I'll have a look round though.

• Members

Not to hijack the thread, but I'm having the exact same argument with myself at the moment. Silverface DR or a Vox AC15CC. The reason I'm thinking 15 and not 30 is b/c I live in NYC and size/weight are issues.

My musical style is more power-alt-pop (ala buffalo tom and the like). I've played both amps and still can't decide. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

• Members

Originally posted by boygenius

Not to hijack the thread, but I'm having the exact same argument with myself at the moment. Silverface DR or a Vox AC15CC. The reason I'm thinking 15 and not 30 is b/c I live in NYC and size/weight are issues.

My musical style is more power-alt-pop (ala buffalo tom and the like). I've played both amps and still can't decide. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Ha ha. It's a bugger of a decision, isn't it!!!

I think I'm going to hunt down a DRRI and play it in anger before I go any further.

• Members

Originally posted by lecale

Ah, so it's best to power the amp on without putting it in standby first?

I realize I probably made that a little confusing. Should have said "going OFF standby." Sorry.

Power (red light): switch to ON, wait.

Standby (green light): After two minutes, switch to ON.

You're now good to go. If you flick both switches to ON at the same time from a cold start, the green light will NOT come on and the amp will produce no sound. 30 anxious seconds will follow, in which those eager to sell SOMETHING and those predisposed to suspicion of MIC amps will assume that "something must be wrong with this one."

• Members

Originally posted by utterhack

I realize I probably made that a little confusing. Should have said "going OFF standby." Sorry.

Power (red light): switch to ON, wait.

Standby (green light): After two minutes, switch to ON.

You're now good to go. If you flick both switches to ON at the same time from a cold start, the green light will NOT come on and the amp will produce no sound. 30 anxious seconds will follow, in which those eager to sell SOMETHING and those predisposed to suspicion of MIC amps will assume that "something must be wrong with this one."

Funnily enough, Vox amps with a valve rectifier prefer the opposite. Apparenly allowing the valve rectifer to gradually ramp up the current to the power tubes is preferable to powering up as you have described.

• Members

Huh. I'm workin' from the manual here for a valve-rectified AC30... probably just doin' a lousy job 'splainin'...

So I'll quote: "Turn on the POWER switch and then wait 2-3 minutes before turning on the STANDBY SWITCH. Doing this each time you play helps prolong tube life."

• Members

Originally posted by utterhack

Huh. I'm workin' from the manual here for a valve-rectified AC30... probably just doin' a lousy job 'splainin'...

So I'll quote: "Turn on the POWER switch and then wait 2-3 minutes before turning on the STANDBY SWITCH. Doing this each time you play helps prolong tube life."

Wow, I have been told differently. I ran my AC30 as you described for the first 18 months I had it and went through three rectifiers and about a dozen EL84s. It always blew when I switched the Standby 'On' after warming up for a few minutes.

After asking around with as few technically minded folks, it turned out that original AC30s never had a 'Standby' at all and that they are useful only for muting the amp during breaks or extending tube life during the same.

Hoping he doesn't mind being quoted, this came from BJF bloke Bjorn Juhl...

Standby switches need to be designed to work with the system as their purpose is to protect the valves from sudden high voltage without proper build up of other voltages.

On a VOX, that has a rectifier valve voltage comes on slowly due to the construction of a rectifier valve and so a standby in this type of amp would perhaps be better off silencing the power valves to mute hum.

In solid sate rectifier amps the Stanby switch is however rather important- some amps have poor standby switch construction though exposing the amp to voltage surges and some yet may require a long time ( half an hour for other volatges to develop.

While standby switches are meant to spare amps from trouble they can introduce trouble.

• Members

Originally posted by Ostracized

Another thing to consider is that the AC30CCs have loads of features that the DDRI doesn't have.

Such as?

Both do reverb and trem. I don't need an FX loop, nor a master volume.

• Members

Why do you say this? what did you not like about the vox?

Also, why does my heart say "get the Vox" and my head say "get the DRRI"?

Is it because I have too much love for Brian May and The Edge?
:love::freak:

Get the {censored}ing Vox & be done with it. Everyone told you to get a DRRI & you don't want to {censored}ing hear it.

douche :o

Archived