Skreddy mid-switch Mayo has arrived!

Gearhunter

• Members

I've been fighting against the fizziness that pedal seems to always have, so I tried a darker cap in the tone stack for a few. It does give a clearer tone, but at lower settings on the tone knob, it's almost like a blanket-over-your-amp thing.

So instead of just filtering more highs, I experimented with changing all the coupling caps in the circuit to big "greenies." That did it. Fatter sound, and I can use less filtering now.

So rather than just brightening yours back up, I'll replace all the caps with greenies too. The end result won't be brighter, just way better all around. More rawk. Rather than chasing the David Gilmour tone, I think the pedal stands on its own as a great distortion, has lots of versatility (different pickup positions, chords as well as single notes, different musical styles, etc.), and is fun to play.

• Members

Originally posted by skr3ddy

Want to try flat mids?

i just dont think i am a big muff man. my favorite muff is my '78 op-amp muff with the tone bypass switch. i also had a black russian that was from the early 90's. i currently dont have any on my board because i like my mids alot, and would never think of scooping them.

• Members

Originally posted by vigor&kandor

i just dont think i am a big muff man. my favorite muff is my '78 op-amp muff with the tone bypass switch. i also had a black russian that was from the early 90's. i currently dont have any on my board because i like my mids alot, and would never think of scooping them.

So? How would you like me to set it to flat mids? It's like a tone-bypass, but without the volume increase and general unattractive tonality of that particular feature. It still lets you control your tone, but doesn't scoop the mids.

Tell you what; I'll even give you a mid HUMP if you want (like the Top Fuel). Free of charge. (get your mind out of the gutter you guys!)

• Members

Originally posted by p00n

skreddy, is this possible? would like to know too

No; there's no room in there for a switch that isn't board mounted. It needs a whole new circuitboard for that. But I could put in sockets where the capacitor goes that would allow you to swap in different caps for either scooped or flat mids. About as much trouble as changing a battery.

:cool:

• Members

No; there's no room in there for a switch that isn't board mounted. It needs a whole new circuitboard for that. But I
could
put in sockets where the capacitor goes that would allow you to swap in different caps for either scooped or flat mids. About as much trouble as changing a battery.

:cool:

Wow thats actually more versatile than just a switch. Theoratically it should be able to give a whole lot more options as to how 'humpy' the mids are with a collection of caps. Of course provided its easy enough to change the caps out.

• Members

Originally posted by sethlover

You could do it yourself, here's the mod:

http://pages.videotron.com/cbriere/_sgg/f10000.htm

Scroll down to Big Muff Pi

That looked helpful and easy to apply to the Mayo.:rolleyes:

Why not just take Marc's offer for a cap socket,or making it flat mids or even him mid humping the pedal for you?

Kicked in the Octave part of my Captain Coconut 2 in front of the Mayo last night and got some of the best Octavefuzz sounds I've ever produced. I have the Mayo plugged in after the Fuzzfoot and before the Pro-vibe of the CC2.:love:

• Members

Originally posted by Gearhunter

That looked helpful and easy to apply to the Mayo.
:rolleyes:

This mod requires just a couple of capacitors and a switch. Drill a couple of holes and you're up and running. You could even do it to a stock muff and you would have the same results.

• Members

The mod on that page is to INCREASE the mid scoop, moving towards the region of the Swollen Pickle's tone.

Of course my layout is unique, so the instructions for modding a BMP, generically, while "correct", will not really help a novice where my pedals are concerned. If someone is savvy enough to apply generic BMP mods to my pedals, chances are they won't even need those instructions. If they're not savvy enough to apply those instructions to my works, the instructions will only be confusing.

I'm available for free mods and repairs anytime.

• Members

The mod on that page is to INCREASE the mid scoop, moving towards the region of the Swollen Pickle's tone.

This mod is not to just increase the mid scoop; the way that guy has it in his mod is to switch between two types of scoop. A small scoop and a bigger scoop. Your mod is to switch between a scoop and no scoop. Just a difference of a couple values.

• Members

http://pages.videotron.com/cbriere/_sgg/f10000.htm

i didn't get it. is it c1, c2, c10 or c11 :confused:

i would like to mod my green muff to be less scooped, but still don't understand which caps should be changed and to which values.

sorry for OT, maybe i should buy a mayo ;)

• Members

Originally posted by Aster Blistok

i didn't get it. is it c1, c2, c10 or c11
:confused:

i would like to mod my green muff to be less scooped, but still don't understand which caps should be changed and to which values.

sorry for OT, maybe i should buy a mayo
;)

It's just the two capasitors (C1 and C2 in the photo below) in the tone section. The switch lets you switch in one combo or the the other.

I sent that guy an email to ask if he could explain. He sent me back a diagram of the switch and values to show me how to do it and it looked easy as pie. I never got around to it. If I still had the diagram I would post it. All you have to do is email the guy and he'll send you a copy of it.

toneswitchbigmuff.jpg

• Members

Originally posted by PhallOut

so wait... whos the skreddy guy? haha im confused here

Can i get my mayo to have thie mid scoop mod? cause it doesnt really cut through with my band it just kind of... sits there under everything:(

The skr3ddy guy is the guy who built your Mayo.Since yours is a pretty early one it's probably mid scooped so you may be wanting the flat-mids tweak.

• Members

It's just the two capasitors (C1 and C2 in the photo below) in the tone section. The switch lets you switch in one combo or the the other.

I sent that guy an email to ask if he could explain. He sent me back a diagram of the switch and values to show me how to do it and it looked easy as pie. I never got around to it. If I still had the diagram I would post it. All you have to do is email the guy and he'll send you a copy of it.

ok, tnx, i understand now :)

if you stiil have the diagram please post it here ;)

• Members

No I had my computer destroyed by a virus a few months ago and along with it went the diagram. But this guy who came up with the switch tone stack mod is the coolest guy you'll ever talk to. He'll send you a copy and answer all your questions. Ask him what the values are for the tone you want.

Archived