how dou guys set your eq pedals

voivod

• Members

Mine's in the FX loop first position
Dano Fish/Chips. My amp has a tendency toward clucky and boxy sound, going into a 2x12 with v30 and GH1230. This may be the speakers' fault but I'm not changeing anything for now.

my adjustments are +/- 5 only, and = means flat

100h add
200 =
400 =
800 cut (controls boxy)
1600 cut (controls clucky)
3.2 k =
6k =

No output level adds

• Members
Originally posted by voivod

oooooooooooooook............sorry I asked
:confused:

its actually turned into a decent little eq discussion, so be proud :D all i meant was that somebody's specific slider settings arent really as important as eq placement & application, both of which are getting a fair amount of mention. so, nice work. :)

and good luck in getting some great tones.

and do remember to let us know what ends up working best for you.

• Members
Originally posted by mikesr1963

I put it next to last in line to the amp because that's where companies say to put it.....

theres a big, exciting world out there that aint mentioned in the manuals :cool:

to wit, an eq can be used:

-- first in line (after guitar) to 'equalize' different guitars being used with the same rig

-- before or after distortion pedals to help fine-tune things

-- last before the amp as a gain boost

-- last before an amp as a clean boost

-- after an effect with a volume drop or boost, as a fix-it

-- in the fx loop as a clean boost

-- in the fx loop as a volume cut

-- in the loop of a pedal (like the orig Guv'nor)

again, as its just a tone & volume control, by right it can go virtually anywhere in the chain.

• Members

EQ is a tough pedal to use properly and effectively, IMO - you really do need to try it in a bunch of different spots in your chain and with your other pedals to really determine the best placement and usage.

I wound up using mine (Antelope Morning Dew EQ/Buffer) smack in the middle of my dirt boxes:

pedalboard06.jpg

It sounds best to me here for a bunch of reasons - first, I needed a buffer early in my chain for signal strength. Second, for certain tones I like to tame the highs and beef up the CoT50 Red a bit. Third, it sounds REALLY good pushing the Blue Boy or Timmy with extra mids - really thick and chunky.

I love the way my amps and effects sound all on their own, but the MDEQ adds a whole new pallette of additional tones. I don't leave it on all the time, but it gets a TON of use on my board - GREAT pedal!

• Members

I forgot to put in my previous post, my Fish & Chips EQ is last in my pedal chain, right before my amp.

Unless I'm using my V-Amp2, this is my set-up:

guitar> Vox 847 wah> Digitech Death Metal> Digitech Bad Monkey> EH Big Muff> Dano Pepperoni Phaser> Dano Fish&ChipsEQ> Marshall amp

works for me! (yeah, I still need a delay...) :D

• Members

If your running a eq in the loop, wouldn't also be tone shaping the preamp? Not so much for clean, but I have a prosonic and is has casacading gain stages for distortion. If I put my eq in the loop am I not using the Eq as a tone shaper for amp distortion? I just don't get the idea that if it's in the loop is just to cut or boost and not tone shaping. Maybe I missed that post, soo........:wave:

• Members
Originally posted by Alex D

If your running a eq in the loop, wouldn't also be tone shaping the preamp? Not so much for clean, but I have a prosonic and is has casacading gain stages for distortion. If I put my eq in the loop am I not using the Eq as a tone shaper for amp distortion? I just don't get the idea that if it's in the loop is just to cut or boost and not tone shaping. Maybe I missed that post, soo........
:wave:

I don't know the science of it but mine being in the loop, first, is my way of shaping the whole pure tone (before FX). Yes my preamp is shaping too of course. My EQ is small adjustments that only I notice, for my own pleasure really. Most of the audience don't know diddly :)

Archived