For those that didn't think there would be a diff between the Vexter/US BOR...

Gary Ladd

• Members

Originally posted by newstrat60

I understand, but I find that when the drive knob is maxed, it is real distortion, no ?

actually I love the 1 o'clock drive setting, great crunch

For me, when the drive knob is maxed, it sounds like a fuzz box. I *hate* fuzz distortion. Don't ask me why...it just sounds nasty. RAT, Fuzz Face, Big Muffs cranked way up, I just don't like them. Dark buzzy sound.

From gain all the way down to about 11:00, it felt like a very light and natural overdrive...kind of like a Tubescreamer if it had a Marshall voicing, but with the smooth gain of a TS808. Between 11:00 and 1:00, it went rapidly to an amp-like distortion...but poweramp distortion, not preamp. So it's not JCM 800, or Mesa amp distortion, it's soft, fuzzy distortion, maybe a hint of squih to it. After 3:00, it just got too fuzzed out for my tastes. And the noise got pretty bad.

My other big problem with the pedal was the tone....it was very dark. Through the Fender, I had to have the tone at least at 3:00. And from 3:00 to max, it got VERY touchy. Even one-32nd of a turn was too much. Under 3:00, it was too dark, over 3:15, too harsh.

With the Marshall, the tone control acted a lot like one on an SD-1, but with more range.

And of course, the boost. I couldn't use it as it made the amp too loud. All it's doing is boosting my clean sound. Would be cool if I had a crunchy tone or a 1xEL84 or 1x6V6 amp, but not with my amp.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Originally posted by skr3ddy

Nice shootout at TGP!

The BOR clearly wins (IMO). It is the only one that does sound like a cranked tube amp; very nice, neutral tone coloring, and it sounds like it is very touch-sensitive and harmonically rich, without excessive fizz (which the Marshall suffers from) or an unnatural metallic feel.

For a "classic" sound it is the winner. It has those chewy Marshall mids. But it doesn't have the bite of a Plexi, 800, etc. And I love modern Marshalls that have that "thump" along with that brighter attack.

The Jackhammer sucks to dial in. It's either too harsh or too soft on the attack. Probably the frequency of the treble isn't to my liking. I REALLY want to try a Guv'nor Plus, maybe this weekend. That gives mid control as well as sub-bass control for that extra little "thump." It's supposed to be an 800-voicing pedal (like the Jackhammer in OD mode, as was in the clips).

The OCD recorded really well but it gets on my nerves after a while. Mids are sucked out a bit too much and the high end is a bit grating. It also kills the lows a little bit too much. The GT-350 pedal coming out next year with independent lows/mids/treble should be WAY cool. I still want to check out a Distortion Pro :D

• Members

Jarick- if you're looking for that brighter, higher gain sound with thump, I suggest the Tube Zone or ReezaFRATzitz. Both of them sounded very natural, although the Reeza had a bit of mid scoop going on. The Tube Zone just seems a bit more open and 'natural'.

And Skreddy, re: your comments on the BoR, I couldn't agree with you more. I just recorded a little bit because I got a new Tapco Link.USB to screw around with and I was impressed with the BoR... VERY impressed with it. No fizz, all natural, sweet and dynamic. Amazing.

And how's my Screw Driver coming along- got the gold leaf? ;)

-Ben

• Members

Hi Ben,

Yeah, the Tube Zone and the Crunchbox are on my short list (actually they are my short list)...but I don't think I'll have the scratch for either of them anytime soon. I may just pick up one of those $60 Guv'nors to hold me over in the meantime.

• Members

Originally posted by Jarick

Yeah, the Tube Zone and the Crunchbox are on my short list (actually they are my short list)...but I don't think I'll have the scratch for either of them anytime soon.

I'm willing to bet you could work a trade on the BOR against either the CB or the TZ (+ cash of course) by midnight.

• Members
Originally posted by skr3ddy

Nice shootout at TGP!

The BOR clearly wins (IMO). It is the only one that does sound like a cranked tube amp; very nice, neutral tone coloring, and it sounds like it is very touch-sensitive and harmonically rich, without excessive fizz (which the Marshall suffers from) or an unnatural metallic feel.

For me the OCD won the shoot-out, of course I'm biased cause I already own two v.1 and love what they do to my 2203...

To me the BOR sounded too dark and muddy, though it had the JTM45 vibe it didn't seem to have the crunch/punch/thump of Plexi or JCM Marshalls...

The OCD recorded really well but it gets on my nerves after a while. Mids are sucked out a bit too much and the high end is a bit grating. It also kills the lows a little bit too much. The GT-350 pedal coming out next year with independent lows/mids/treble should be WAY cool. I still want to check out a Distortion Pro
:D

I betcha you've got one of those V.2 OCDs, don't you?

The V.1 has plenty of bass on tap and with 4X greenbacks the high-end treble is PURRFECT for this rock & roller :thu:

Too bad you're short on funds, if you could chase down a Lovepedal COT/LO combo I think you'd find exactly what you're looking for ;)

• Members
Originally posted by Gary Ladd

For me the OCD won the shoot-out, of course I'm biased cause I already own two v.1 and love what they do to my 2203...

To me the BOR sounded too dark and muddy, though it had the JTM45 vibe it didn't seem to have the crunch/punch/thump of Plexi or JCM Marshalls...

You got it, that's what I didn't like. It didn't have the bite and it didn't have the thump.

I betcha you've got one of those V.2 OCDs, don't you?

The V.1 has plenty of bass on tap and with 4X greenbacks the high-end treble is
PURRFECT
for this rock & roller
:thu:

Actually it is a V1. And it lacks a bit of mids. I was testing the bass by running the Jackhammer through it with gain down on the JH but bass way up, and the OCD just killed everything below I'd say 150 to 170 Hz. Not as bad as an SD-1, but man it lost it's thump.

Too bad you're short on funds, if you could chase down a Lovepedal COT/LO combo I think you'd find exactly what you're looking for
;)

Yeah, I still haven't heard any Lovepedal clips that blew me away. And certainly not at those prices.

Really, I'd be best served just getting an amp that can do the rock thing because that's what I'm looking for, but that's over $1k that I don't have. So until then, I kind of have to fake it.

• Members

You got it, that's what I didn't like. It didn't have the bite and it didn't have the thump.

Actually it is a V1. And it lacks a bit of mids. I was testing the bass by running the Jackhammer through it with gain down on the JH but bass way up, and the OCD just killed everything below I'd say 150 to 170 Hz. Not as bad as an SD-1, but man it lost it's thump.

Yeah, I still haven't heard any Lovepedal clips that blew me away. And certainly not at those prices.

Really, I'd be best served just getting an amp that can do the rock thing because that's what I'm looking for, but that's over $1k that I don't have. So until then, I kind of have to fake it.

Well, if you're gonna spend $300 on a pedal maybe you should save your mula and get a JCM off FleaBay for like $700-900 for the REAL THING ;)

Funny about your OCD, a lot of people that got the V.1 pedals complained about too much bass, perhaps something :freak: is going on with yours? :confused:

BTW, I got my LO direct from Sean off FleaBay for $130 and the lil' China COT off of TGP for $180, so that's only $10 more than the BOR! :D

Too bad you missed the Burst Eternity offer that Sean gave TGP members awhile back - The -E- is a must have for rockers like us :thu:

• Members

BTW, I got my LO direct from Sean off FleaBay for $130 and the lil' China COT off of TGP for $180, so that's only $10 more than the BOR!

Or $110 more than the Vexter...

Which, if you're following the inane thread at TGP, the current winds are blowing toward "the vexter has more mojo," with owners of the handpainted suddenly on the defensive. People be crazy :rolleyes:

• Members
Originally posted by papa taco

Do I see neutrik-style jacks purchased from Effects Connection????

:mad:
:mad:
:wave:

Oh, I forgot I posted this joke. Must be why I got the following message from zach:

hi pt, zvex here
i use switchcraft jacks exclusively.

zv

I was only joking man. Good to know though.

:wave:

• Members

Originally posted by PurpleStrat

I would love to hear the Indyguitarist PlexiDrive Vs. The BOR. If you by clips I'd take the PlexiDrive.

I've got no reason to believe the plexidrive's anything other than a great pedal, but if you go by clips, you're missing the point, , especially when it comes to dirt.

• Members
Originally posted by utterhack

Or $110 more than the Vexter...

Which, if you're following the inane thread at TGP, the current winds are blowing toward "the vexter has more mojo," with owners of the handpainted suddenly on the defensive. People be crazy
:rolleyes:

That is hilarious! :p

Then again with the way these products are marketed and all the GASaholics freak-out over them :eek: I wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't a marketing ploy ;)

Looks like those Vexters will be selling like hotcakes! :D

• Members

I've got no reason to believe the plexidrive's anything other than a great pedal, but if you go by clips, you're missing the point, , especially when it comes to dirt.

I agree. You should not pay big bucks for something on clips alone. A good example is the SCOD, the clips suck but the pedal is outstanding. I would love to hear some opinions on them from someone who has played the BOR and PlexiDrive.

If I were like many people here with no Zvex dealers anywhere close I would have to go by the clips. Clips plus price. I would buy the PlexiDrive.

• Members

That is hilarious!
:p

Then again with the way these products are marketed and all the GASaholics freak-out over them
:eek:
I wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't a marketing ploy
;)

Looks like those Vexters will be selling like hotcakes!

Whatever, I trust my ears above all. The Vexter sounds good through Fender tube amps. I don't care if it sounds like a Marshall or another pedal. So far, I've only checked out a Vexter.

Next I'll try a Vexter vs. handpainted one in an amp room where I can get loud and find out for sure. In the end that's all that counts, clips and gutshots are internet talk.

All I know at the moment is that the Vexter sounds really good on Fenders -- not good through an Orange -- and I don't yet know how it compares to an SCOD.

• Members

Which, if you're following the inane thread at TGP, the current winds are blowing toward "the vexter has more mojo," with owners of the handpainted suddenly on the defensive. People be crazy
:rolleyes:

I would hardly say that we're "on the defensive"... I merely stated that I wouldn't like mine EQ-ed any differently or to sound any different than it already did. Is that crazy or defensive? :confused:

I'm hardly a gear snob and couldn't care less if it was handpainted or not; I just happened to score a good deal / partial trade for a painted one (before the Vexters were released) that someone was getting rid of.

-Ben

• Members

^ Ah, you take me too seriously. It's just funny how wound up we get. Figures my description of the conversation would offend one of the few reasonable voices. Sigh...

Very few of us have played either pedal, let alone both, and yet there's no end of OMG I heard a clip that sounded bad/good/different OMG the USA solder's prettier OMG Z said Eric said the Vexter was more "open" OMG etc etc

I think it someone else's comment about "if you want 80s metal, maybe the Vexter is for you" that put me over the edge. Ridiculous, uninformed, condescending, and carrying a definite odor of investment-protection.

For the record, while some may say the Vexter is "more open" or "more rock," it's definitely not higher gain. It's the same damn pedal.

• Members

I did take you too seriously- sorry about that! I'm just to used to being branded a cork-sniffer because I hang at TGP... by friends and co-workers too! :D

And ultimately, you're right- whatever sonic idiosynchrosies there may be, they ARE the same pedal!

-Ben

• Members

It looks to me that the contacts in the footswitches are swapped around, which is why the non-Vexter one looks like more wires. Either this more efficient routing was adopted by the Vexter builders or was developed in the handpainted version production. The Vexter does include 2 decent capacitors.

• Members

^ Ah, you take me too seriously. It's just funny how wound up we get. Figures my description of the conversation would offend one of the few reasonable voices. Sigh...

Very few of us have played either pedal, let alone both, and yet there's no end of OMG I heard a clip that sounded bad/good/different OMG the USA solder's prettier OMG Z said Eric said the Vexter was more "open" OMG etc etc

I think it someone else's comment about "if you want 80s metal, maybe the Vexter is for you" that put me over the edge. Ridiculous, uninformed, condescending, and carrying a definite odor of investment-protection.

For the record, while some may say the Vexter is "more open" or "more rock," it's definitely not higher gain. It's the
same damn pedal

probably so. i raise a glass of latte to mr whitley, sir.

Archived