new Yamaha Motif XS workstation

Diametro

• Replies 444
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Originally posted by assaf

Isn't anyone here upset about the high prices?

Are workstations are about to become a rich man's tool?

Was the Motif ES also 4,000$ MAP when it came out?

My SY99 was $3,995 MSRP in 1991, optional proprietary RAM was about $265 each times five for an additional $1,325. If synth prices had increased like everything else has in the last 15 years you would be looking at an 8-9 thousand dollar Motif XS.

Clyde

• Members

Originally posted by assaf

Isn't anyone here upset about the high prices?

Are workstations are about to become a rich man's tool?

Was the Motif ES also 4,000$ MAP when it came out?

I'm not upset, because there's no chance I'll ever buy a big expensive rompler.

• Members

Originally posted by tangerine

it does look like a hoax! look at the jogdial it is not centred? and only six knobs below the big screen, why should they(Yamaha) do that?

Hmm...could be a touch screen I think then.. the buttons might be there for live arpeggio selection like the ES does.

One thing not mentioned is the PLG card support... perhaps Yamaha have now finally ditched these cards (I didn't like them like I did the VL1/7 or even the EX5 for that matter) or perhaps they are built in (a'la EX5!).

The USB2.0 support is welcomed though... perhaps this will make sample loading a more realistic proposition via USB drives than before with all those crappy smart media cards.

• Members

Originally posted by swandiver

Where's the AN, FM, and VL synth engines???!!! WTF???!!!
:(

Looks like the Alesis Fusion is still the one to beat for price-to-performance ratio.

Agreed. At that price, Yamaha should have thrown in a bunch of PLG boards and integrated them into the OS. As it stands now, the XS should be priced less than the ES line. I would predict sluggish sales, but the PT Barnum effect may bolster the sales numbers.

• Members

Originally posted by orangefunk

Hmm...could be a touch screen I think then.. the buttons might be there for live arpeggio selection like the ES does.

One thing not mentioned is the PLG card support... perhaps Yamaha have now finally ditched these cards (I didn't like them like I did the VL1/7 or even the EX5 for that matter) or perhaps they are built in (a'la EX5!).

The USB2.0 support is welcomed though... perhaps this will make sample loading a more realistic proposition via USB drives than before with all those crappy smart media cards.

Yeah, the USB seems like the only really good new feature. The price of the mini mo is nice though, if it's around the speculated $599.

• Members

Yamaha could do well to release some new "synth cards" without the limitations of the PLG. Perhaps a B3 card, a proper VL card a'la VL1, better analogue modelling synth, etc..

I think the big screen will help with the editing of the cards too...

Why is it soooo damn big though... whats in these things??

... if it can all fit in a 1U rack then why can't the keyboards be lighter and smaller... surely the sliders and larger display don't add that much extra to the weight...

• Members

Originally posted by orangefunk

Why is it soooo damn big though... whats in these things??

... if it can all fit in a 1U rack then why can't the keyboards be lighter and smaller... surely the sliders and larger display don't add that much extra to the weight...

Erm, I'm thinking one of two things:

1. Make it big so people think it does more than it really does.

2. Solid, quality workmanship, built like a tank.

• Members

Originally posted by XorAxAx

Erm, I'm thinking one of two things:

1. Make it big so people think it does more than it really does.

2. Solid, quality workmanship, built like a tank.

agree with point 1. About point 2, the MOTIF doesn't feel as robust as I'd like... I've had 2 now and both had cracks on the end cheeks. The feeling I got was more like any kind of knock would propagate throughout the unit...

The EX5 felt a bit more robust to me as it was made of ABS plastic I think.

• Members

From Motifator

MOTIF XS

Well, first and foremost Happy New Year to every one at Motifator.com.

Since the cat is out of the bag, we will try to fill in some details and answer some questions about specs. However as many people here have already commented the only way to really judge an instrument is to play it yourself. T

The new Motif really needs to be XSperienced.

The official announcement of the XS is scheduled for January 10th so there will be more information coming in the next few weeks and then at NAMM, people will get a chance to see the XS in action via web casts.

The XS is a part of the Motif tradition and so as with all Motif products if focuses on three things.

The sounds

The ease of song creation

Computer Integration

In terms of the sound, there are a lot of things that are new.

The 355MB wave ROM includes a huge amount of new wave forms. These were developed based on the priorities for sounds that came out of the research surveys that we did here on the site.

There is a new, very large three velocity layer Acoustic Piano that includes support for half damper and the insert effect for sound board resonance found in the S90 ES. There are also new Electric Piano waves as this has always been a request.

One of the other major areas that we focused on was orchestral sounds. There are brand new ensemble and solo strings and a complete set of woodwinds. People on the site had identified this area as one that they wanted improved from previous Motifs.

The orchestral waves take advantage of the new Articulation TG System. This allows for 8 element voices and includes key off samples, true Legato wave switching, wave cycling and a new assignable function. It is simply impossible to get the level of sonic detail that the Motif XS achieves with a 2 element architecture like that found in some of the competition.

Each Voice can have three groups of elements that can switched on or off by the 2 assignable function buttons above the pitch and mod wheels.

These can be used to create one voice that has normal strings, pizzicato and spiccato in one voice that can switched via the AF 1 and 2 buttons.

Another technical improvement to the sonic palette is the inclusion of Virtual Circuit Modeling effects like those found in the DM2000. Virtual Circuitry Modeling technology rather than simply attempting to approach the desired sound using conventional digital audio methods, actually models the analog circuitry... right down to the last resistor and capacitor. This technology was originally developed at Yamaha by Toshi Kunimoto and his group, the same sonic wizards who created the VL1 and VP1

• Members

Originally posted by XorAxAx

I'm not upset, because there's no chance I'll ever buy a big expensive rompler.

I used to say that too, but I knew when the original Motif ES came out, my feelings had changed. The nature of the Yamaha filters and architecture, but more importantly, the amount and nature of DSP available for post-processing of voices meant those machines could create some incredible sounds (and yes, my focus would be on the synthetic). In this regard, Yamaha blew every other synth maker on the market out of the water.

That said, it was a Yamaha MOTIF, and I did not want to work with that kind of operating system or user interface.

The XS looks improved where I thought the ES was lacking. I have no plans, much less budget, to buy one, but I will for sure check it out and see where things are now.

In any case, I have no prejudice against "ROMplers." If it sounds good, it is good! :thu: And for that matter, anyone with some programming skill can make such machines sing. ;)

cheers,

Ian

• Members

I find the inclusion of an ethernet port fascinating. I wonder if you can network multiple units together, and have them see and share information? that would be really cool..

It sounds like just your average everyday evolutionary step.

I probably wont be buying one, as I already have my Fantom..but it sounds like a very cool board.

Archived