new Yamaha Motif XS workstation

Diametro

• Replies 444
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Well I'm intrigued. I'll be absolutely enthusiastic if Yamaha has addressed the glaring weaknesses in the fundamental sounds of the MotifES.

Acoustic pianos- have those too obvous multisample breaks been eliminated? Roland's got you beat here.

Leslie sim- Yours is horrible. Roland's got you beat here too. Are you keeping up?

Vocal waves- the MotifES is pathetic! My lowly 1990s XP-80 with a $90 Vocal board tramples an ES.

I don't care about how many arpeggios are going at once. The basic building blocks have got to be there before frills. I'm hopin'... c'mon Yamaha.

• Members

If they can keep the rack version of this thing at a reasonable price point I think it's going to be a decent solution for someone looking for a pure rompler for "generic" type sounds. It's nice to see them going up to 8 elements, I consider that the biggest difference.

As far as droping the cards..... they were not that good anyway. I am disappointed that there is no breath controller input though.

• Members

Originally posted by Jez

Strangely, as a lifelong yamaha whore, this thing interests me 0%.

Hate to say it, but I feel pretty much the same way.

No AN, no DX, no VL, no breath control input. I will admit that it looks to be a good rompler/sampler, and probably offers pretty good control over the included cubase program, but the XS is not for me.

• Members

How many voices does it have? it does not say.

I think that 128 voices is to little for todays demands, when layer four voices it is down to 32 voices, so 256 is good.

And the FX, how many insert efx can you have at the same time 16, 32 or what????

We have to wait and see!

:)

• Members
Originally posted by tangerine

How many voices does it have? it does not say.

I think that 128 voices is to little for todays demands, when layer four voices it is down to 32 voices, so 256 is good.

And the FX, how many insert efx can you have at the same time 16, 32 or what????

We have to wait and see!

:)

Its the same as the ES on all counts... I agree 128 voices does seem low nowadays..

• Members
Originally posted by Jez

:rolleyes: ......I feel the same way (still playing on the same Electone organ I got some 20 years ago, be it midi'd up to a Motif Classic/ Nord Electro:thu: ).....

Maybe because I WAS thrilled when the MotifES was released..... I just don't feel like that looking at the XS specs/pics (mostly just double whatever the ES has plus color screen minus PLG boards (?!))....

Looking/playing/wishing an ES in 2003 I realised I already had a lot of very nice sounds to use with my cover band, a sampler to get the occasional weird intros/etc.... (I didn't foresee the Smartmedia card shortage tho) And PLG boards for DX (bless them 80ies) and AN stuff...........

I AM curious to see how my Yamaha guru Bert Smorenburg is gonna convince everyone to buy the newbiggerfasterbetter MotifXS.......:D

• Members

Originally posted by Jez

I've been following the thread with with Yamaha US up on motifator.com and I have to agree. As impressive as this unit looks on paper, I don't have the same sense of "I gotta have this now!!!" as I thought I would when I heard that the ES was about to be superseded.

Come to think of it, no keyboard has grabbed by the short hairs and given that feeling of "GOTTA' HAVE THIS NOW!!!" since the DX-7.

• Members

Originally posted by TowJam

Come to think of it, no keyboard has grabbed by the short hairs and given that feeling of "GOTTA' HAVE THIS NOW!!!" since the DX-7.

sometimes , keyboards have to grow on you, sort of like a fungus

For example, the DX-7 hit you with that "GOTTA' HAVE THIS NOW!" in 2002 , correct ?

• Members

Originally posted by Son of HuHefner

sometimes , keyboards have to grow on you, sort of like a fungus

For example, the DX-7 hit you with that "GOTTA' HAVE THIS NOW!" in 2002 , correct ?

Nope - in 1983 when Yamaha started putting those cheezy DX demo "records" in magazines.

As real-time editing unfriendly as the DX7 is, I still think the minimalist panel and overall construction is sexy as hell.

• Members

Originally posted by mrcpro

Are there specs up anywhere? Number of effects blocks, waveform lists... stuff like that? Anyone seen anything?

The fx set up is the same as the ES just that they use the new VCM technology for things like vintage phasers and tape delays...

There are brand new piano waveforms and an improved rhodes piano by all accounts...

• Members
Originally posted by Don Solaris

Yamaha,

give us normal classic black version and cut this coloring s*it once and for all.

y.jpg

+1000

The silver thing is very 1999-2000 I think...

There was mention that the profile of the XS6 and XS7 is low (and lighter than the ES).. I wonder if this means it is gonna be like the Alesis ION... that would be pretty cool I think...

btw someone did this at motifator

300042-fake-xs8_better%20and%20red.jpg

Imagine that screen!

• Members

No physical modelling = no purchase.

It's been fun watching synth companies shoot themselves in the feet these past couple years. You have to wonder if these companies are just nothing but Yes-Men these days.

The Fusion was a failure, the Oasys was a debacle, and now Yamaha is stepping backwards. I can't wait for Roland's offerings this year. :D

• Members

wonder how much better it can sound....than other sample playbackers... i just think we have already reached a limit in terms of a good sound ... i guess theres always improvement for orch soundset, but ES set is pretty good for those know how to do orch arrangment and automations

Oasys ... i really dont think it sound better than other three main workstations, even tho fantomX do need expensions to keep up

since AN and VL card hardware + commision for developers all together arent all the expesnive... why no intergration....

Archived