String Gauge + Your Rig = Tone?

dZjupp

• Members

So i started using 09's again and it is like a breathe of fresh air, (have been using 10's for a long time), my playing is feeling more natural, not just riffs and solos but chord and rhythm work feel SO much better. not only that, but oddly as it seems, my entire rig SOUNDS better. i never noticed it before but it seems like each string comes through clearer and lows and highs are more distinguished. i've always thought that heavier strings induced better tone, but with my style and rig, it isn't true, has this happened to anyone else?

• Members

ya on my tele i like flatwound, real heavy gauge, usually 12's. id imagine that if i had something like an ibanez with a very skinny neck and real hot pickups those strings would be a bit much. also depends on your hand size and strength- i like to "feel" heavy bends more- if that makes any sense.

• Members

I don't think the heavier = better tone thing works all the time. I have a superstrat that sounds noticeably better for rythmn work with 10s than it does with 11s. I think a lot of strats and floating bridge guitars are that way.

Besides, not everyone is into the SRV-tone thang!

On bigger semi hollow and hollow guitars, I think you need more weight to get the top moving. My semi has 12s and I doubt it would sing with anything less than 11s.

• Members

anything less than 11s is for p*ss*es:)

just kidding.

Actually I've found that lighter strings can crunch better and can brighten up muddy sounding rigs. They can be played faster too. Generally, an excellent choice for totally emotionless shredding on muddy guitar rigs.

• Members

Originally posted by fernmeister

I don't think the heavier = better tone thing works all the time.

+1

just different tones.

light gauges give you a bit more snap and jangle.

heavier ones give you thicker tones.

it's your tone. decide for your own damn self.

• Members

I play 9s.

I am not a "tone freak" or a "true bypass" freak haha:D

I like to just write, and play music. So something as the sound qualities between string gauges really does not concern me. I also use 9s because they are significantly easier for me to play, and express myself musically with.

• Members

I have 11-54 on one tele, straight 10's on the other two. The one with 11's gets used a lot for stuff with open chords, the other two are a little flimsy to me. I think I might switch my American to straight 11's when I can get enough money to have it set up properly...

Archived