mukuzi

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Originally posted by sonaboy

awesome -

so you'll sound like Albini once you:

put 80 lb. sandbags into your speaker cabs.

design a high gain amp that flips out at high frequencies.

understand subtle differences between EQ, shelving, mic placement and other such things that make you an expert in bedroom rocking that transfers completely into live situations.

color me tentative.

:rolleyes:

I am working with the high frequencies, EQ, shelving and mic placement....... the sandbags will not happen haha. I am a big fan of his sound because of all the different crazy sound effects he gets by subtle scraping or playing that is accompanied by all of his knowledge of gear.

• Members

Originally posted by 6StrngStrangler

Man. I can only IMAGINE what he did to yor cat!LOL! Hate is a pretty strong feeling, what he do to you?

Hate and hateful are two different things. I didn't say I hated him. What I do think is that, at least in public, Steve Albini has represented some very questionable things as part of his art. There's only so many times you can act out a mysogynistic, racist ID without people beginning to think that's what you really are about. Granted, a lot of this was 20 years ago, and he's mellowed quite a bit since his Big Black days, but lyrics like this sung without irony are what I'm talking about:

"The only good policeman is a dead one/The only good laws aren't enforced/I've never hung a darkie but I've fed one/I've never seen an Indian on a horse."

Plus, Steve Albini fans include some of the absolute dregs of human society, except they're pretentious, too. Fun combination.

• Members

I have a Chuck Collins Interfax Harmonic Percolator clone.

If anyone's buying a HP clone because they think it will make them sound like Albini, they are going to be SORELY disappointed.

A common misconception is that Albini has always used these - he hasn't. It made its first appearance in his rig in Shellac.

If you want to sound like Albini, buy a Travis Bean. That will get a lot of the way there. Aluminum guitar tone is the secret.

It is a very interesting distortion pedal, however. I get some great classic tones, ranging from smooth and creamy to nasty growl.

I'm tempted to try the Barge version because of the added gain.

And no, Randy Bachman didn't use an IHP on American Woman.

The original IHP came out in the mid to late 70s.

• Members

Originally posted by CapnMarvel

+1. Albini's a hateful little creep. I like a few of his productions, but I hate him and I don't like his tones of choice.

i would save my opinion about an extremely opinionated and knowledgable person until i met said person.

he didn't get where he is today by being a complete dick. he got there by understanding a lot of technical knowledge and putting it to practical uses.

a few engineers i know who have worked with him from the OTHER side of the glass have said his real problem is that he wants to do things ONE WAY most of the time - which can be quite trying on your customers. But he also said that after all is said and done, half the time he's correct.

so for what that's worth...

• Members

Originally posted by CapnMarvel

he's mellowed quite a bit since his Big Black days, but lyrics like this sung without irony are what I'm talking about:

"The only good policeman is a dead one/The only good laws aren't enforced/I've never hung a darkie but I've fed one/I've never seen an Indian on a horse."

uhh..that's a lyric sung with irony, in case you didn't know.

one of many songs of his that are sung from the point of a character, sometimes fictional, sometimes real. he's not singing as "Steve Albini" just like most of the time Tom Waits isn't singing as "Tom Waits."

• Members

Originally posted by Gypsyfan

I've been playing an RC-1 Compressor from Barge Concepts for the last few months and it's amazing. Hardly any noise, great volume boost, can dial in many tones. They are nice guys too! I can't wait to get a BB-Jr.

Glad you're enjoying the RC. If you're looking for a Jr on the cheap, I saw a used one last night on TGP,

Originally posted by fuzzinator

Wow. Barge is a class act. Did anyone read the history page? They've made the schematic for the BP-1 available as well.

Originally posted by jove

I did and yes, way cool (and the right) thing to do.
:thu:

Thanks for the kind words. With the amount of misinformation floating around about the original HP-1, it was important to us to share what we learned from our building process. Hopefully, others will find it useful or at least some what informative.

Originally posted by fuzzinator

If anyone's buying a HP clone because they think it will make them sound like Albini, they are going to be SORELY disappointed.

A common misconception is that Albini has always used these - he hasn't. It made its first appearance in his rig in Shellac.

If you want to sound like Albini, buy a Travis Bean. That will get a lot of the way there. Aluminum guitar tone is the secret.

Exactly. Can you get close? That's in the ears of the beholder. A nice bright tele, some metal pics, will start to get you in the ballpark. I wish I hadn't sold my Kramer, as I have to admit I'm curious to know how the two would sound together.

We're not trying to sell this as shellac-in-a-box - but instead just advertising it as what it is, a versatile dirt box based on a unique vintage design.

Early orders will start shipping today. I can't wait to start getting some feedback on this one - we're very proud of the BP-1. If our clients end up enjoying it even half as much as I do (i've got new blisters on my fingers for the first time in a decade), I think we will have done well. It's probably not going to be a box for everyones taste, but alot of you are going to be very happy.

That's it for now, back to work. Thank you to everyone for all the support.

:wave:

Archived