Barge Concepts Harmonic Percolator clone

mukuzi

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Originally posted by fuzzinator

I have a Chuck Collins Interfax Harmonic Percolator clone.

If anyone's buying a HP clone because they think it will make them sound like Albini, they are going to be SORELY disappointed.

A common misconception is that Albini has always used these - he hasn't. It made its first appearance in his rig in Shellac.

If you want to sound like Albini, buy a Travis Bean. That will get a lot of the way there. Aluminum guitar tone is the secret.

and not only that, it's used sporadically throughout the first few records. in fact on "at action park", off the top of my head i can only recall 1 or 2 times that the percolator is obviously on.

• Members

Originally posted by aeroslepperin

oh and camerashake, what will the price jump up to and when?

i'd love one but i'm a cashless lameass right now.

Standard price will be $134. Right now we're advertising the sale as ending 11.26.6, but we may extended it a couple of days since we don't have clips up. And we're usually willing to extend an expired offer for a couple of days if someone asks...

• Members

Originally posted by camerashake

Standard price will be $134. Right now we're advertising the sale as ending 11.26.6, but we may extended it a couple of days since we don't have clips up. And we're usually willing to extend an expired offer for a couple of days if someone asks...

I keep getting prompted to load the Chinese Language pack when I try your site...?!?!?

• Members

Originally posted by Tool Shedd

Oh boy, I just received my shipping notice! (I ordered mine first thing Monday morning.) Crossing my fingers that it gets here by Saturday.

We've been loving our BB-1's (it is the official fuzz of the
.) I'm really looking forward to getting the BP-1 too. I've been wishing for a Percolator clone for years.

Yup - the first BP-1s shipped today (well, now it's yesterday). More will be going out tomorrow and saturday, and everything we've received orders for so far should be out of shop and in the loving hands of the PO before National Tryptophan Appreciation Day.

ToolShedd- Does the Beauty Scene ever play nyc? If so, let us know - we'd love to come out for a gig

Originally posted by dbx

I keep getting prompted to load the Chinese Language pack when I try your site...?!?!?

If anyone else is have this problem, please send me an email and let us know. I'm more or less a hack when it comes to html, but I obviously need to figure out what's causing this problem.

• Members

...i've got new blisters on my fingers for the first time in a decade..

:eek:

I received mine today and I was going to give it the usual 10 minute or so run through just for initial impressions...an hour and a half later...

:eek:

Goddamn! :eek:

The sweeps throughout both sides of this pedal and - all the way to maxing out both sides and all 3 knobs - were pure tonal delight. I sincerely thought by now that I had already pretty well mined all the diamonds out there... I was wrong.. :o

I have no idea what the original HP-1 sounds like, never tried one or ran across one - so my impressions are strictly as a stand alone overdrive and I have to say Geoff - you're under-priced on this one, even at full retail. I have paid upwards of $200 for this quality of pedal and at the intro price - and even at your suggested retail price - I feel like I stole this from you. :cool:

It is uniquely voiced in that it retains the highs and the bottom (I used an SG Supreme with Burstbucker pups and my Reverend Hellhound 40/60) without feeling as though I had anything to worry about in the middle - although the mids are perfectly balanced and not overly done.

The Harmonics knob is just so {censored}ing cool - and since this is decidedly a honeymoon review - I can't fully describe my overall feelings for it other than to say - it sweeps up to an excitingly full rich bodied wall of sound that gave me goosebumps - that's no easy task given all the overdrives I own.

Whatever the HP-1 was - the BP-1 is an incredibly full bodied texturally rich delight. At gigging levels you can easily get a hell of a bite of pinch harmonics all over the neck and the sustain was an exciting foundation to literally get up on the ladder and walk all over the place - like the roof of a high building. I guess that's the best way I can describe it at this point - it's elevating. :eek:

For a beautifully built (Jesus check out the wiring) dual overdrive this is a no brainer purchase especially for the giveaway intro pricing. I had initially thought well, when I get this -I should try to find an HP-1 to compare it to. I no longer care what the HP-1 sounds like - this bitch can control the corner on any street.

You fence sitters best slide on over to paypal and STEAL this thing now even though it is easily worth much more than Geoff is charging even after the intro pricing is over - you can thank me later for pushing you off the "fence".

Sweet rich harmonic sustaining full and dial-able textured voicings are the rule and not the exception here. You go on with your bad self Geoff. Congrats to Barge Concepts for another diamond! :cool:

http://www.rivercityrockets.com/bp1.html

:thu::wave:

• Members

Damn. Rev, Voerking - You've made our day! :D

All credit for the board design and wiring has to go to Barry, head engineer on the Barge. He's obsessive when it comes to our internal layouts, making sure that everying is not only electrically sound but asthetically pleasing as well. Even after the circuit design was done, he spent days with his hand hovering over the send button, triple checking every trace and measurement before we ordered circuit boards. His dedication makes projects like this possible, and I'm always incredibly thankful for the skills and knowledge he brings to the Barge - and it's always great to know that it's appreciated by our clients as well.

Rev- When you have a chance, try out the BP with some other guitars. Personally, I think it sounds best with minihums or P90s (but I'm biased towards those kinds of pups in general)

Anyway, enough of my rambling. We've been excited about this project for more than 2 years now, and hearing that people are enjoying the end result makes everything worthwhile. So, thank you.

Keep on keepin' on. :wave:

• Members

i'm pretty excited for this one. i've owned 2 chuck collins percolators (1 when i was a bedroom warrior and 1 when i started playing with my band), and while i loved the tone, i had issues with the overall volume.

i may just have to call in the older sister to pick one up for a birthday / christmas gift.

• Members
Originally posted by 1DZReverendDavidLee

Um.... I've had the Dano FAB and I don't know what you're smoking but they're not even in the same universe. Take another hit Bro.
:rolleyes:

:wave:

I have a Dano FAB distortion and it sounds very close to the clip of the HP on the tonefrenzy site.

• Members

Damn. Rev, Voerking - You've made our day!
:D

All credit for the board design and wiring has to go to Barry, head engineer on the Barge. He's obsessive when it comes to our internal layouts, making sure that everying is not only electrically sound but asthetically pleasing as well. Even after the circuit design was done, he spent days with his hand hovering over the send button, triple checking every trace and measurement before we ordered circuit boards. His dedication makes projects like this possible, and I'm always incredibly thankful for the skills and knowledge he brings to the Barge - and it's always great to know that it's appreciated by our clients as well.

Rev- When you have a chance, try out the BP with some other guitars. Personally, I think it sounds best with minihums or P90s (but I'm biased towards those kinds of pups in general)

Anyway, enough of my rambling. We've been excited about this project for more than 2 years now, and hearing that people are enjoying the end result makes everything worthwhile. So, thank you.

Keep on keepin' on.

by the way - if i came off as a hater earlier - not intended.
I'm digging any garage pedal builder who's trying to do something different with their projects, and you definitely have that down.

congrats on the new design. I had a Bee Baa clone for a while, and while i thought it was a great tool, it just wasn't for me at the time. It's good to see someone making another high quality clone of this cool pedal. keep it up guys!

• Members
Originally posted by RUExp?

I have a Dano FAB distortion and it sounds very close to the clip of the HP on the tonefrenzy site.

Sorry if I came off mentally ill there man - clips only cover so much tonal turf - you really have to run this bad boy through a guitar and an amp and let her scream. I understand what you were getting at tho because alot of overdrives will sound very similar with computer based clips and at low bedroom levels - it's when you crank them live where the cream rises to the crop. And for the record - at the time I had the Dano Fab tone, I also had the Daddy-O and the Dan-Echo and loved them all. That's been quite awhile back now :D

I even used to run a microphone thru the Dan-Echo for the trailing off vocals on Kenny Wayne Shepards "Blue on Black" :cool:

Rock on with yer bad self Bro! :)

• Members
Originally posted by sonaboy

by the way - if i came off as a hater earlier - not intended.

I'm digging any garage pedal builder who's trying to do something different with their projects, and you definitely have that down.

congrats on the new design. I had a Bee Baa clone for a while, and while i thought it was a great tool, it just wasn't for me at the time. It's good to see someone making another high quality clone of this cool pedal. keep it up guys!

Next time Mrbluetone and Keeley and I hit Kansas City - you'd better hook up with us!!!!

Archived