Andromeda Alternatives?

lawst

• Members

Sizzlemeister, absolutely !

We have to remember that PEK has 4 oscillators per voice. Each digital oscillator has classical analog type waveforms as well. So, any analog style huge pad is achievable with 16 oscillators. Nothing against Andy, because I'm a big Andy fan myself. It is just another beauty.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Compared to "the old days" synths are inexpensive. Both digital and analog synths made today stay in tune much better and are more reliable, you guys are all spoled rotten! I realize that doesn't make squat if you just don't have the money to buy what you really want, but on a price per voice basis, today's synths are a bargain. (Except the Voyager).

Mike T.

• Members
Compared to "the old days" synths are inexpensive. Both digital and analog synths made today stay in tune much better and are more reliable, you guys are all spoled rotten! I realize that doesn't make squat if you just don't have the money to buy what you really want, but on a price per voice basis, today's synths are a bargain. (Except the Voyager).

Mike T.

And except the other monosynths with $ 3000+ price tag. (Hello SE and Cwejman :) ).

• Members

I can't ever see myself getting rid of the A6,
not with the sounds that I'VE programmed out of it.
I've had it 3 years or so now, I can't believe some people say it's plastic sounding.

PEK I haven't spent enough time with. From limited time in the stores, it's always bright blue LEDS and harsh presets. I'm sure it can do warm though.
Does the fact it has DCO's make any difference at all?

• Members
originally posted by MuzikB

What is so special about that thing? It's been getting a lot of press here lately.

I don't know, I've never played one. I was just trying to come up with an Andromeda alternative. (Oh, and I was tweaking drxcm. ;) )

From what I've heard though, it's sounds great, and is one of the few modern analog polysynths out there. I think Sizzle has one; maybe he'll tell us what's special about it.

• Members

Hmmm . . .

The A6 has been in production for quite some time now. I thought they had all of the problems ironed out. Is this just the way it is with the A6? If so I'm glad to know about it. (If not, I apologize - no slander intended.)

I'm not into playing quality control tech anymore (and paying for it). I used to tolerate that kind of thing because it was more important to own something unique. Guess I'm gettin' old because I just want to be a satisfied customer these days.

• Members

How about an Omega 8? Seems to me the Sunsyn would be better in the modulation department though. Both are expensive.

If by some miracle, Waldorf manages to get the Stromberg out on schedule, you can add analog filters to it via the port on the back.

Or you can pick up a Matrix 12. (of course it doesn't fit your "on the market now" qualification)

You can do what I'm doing though, and build a multi-voice modular.

• Members

I can't ever see myself getting rid of the A6,

not with the sounds that I'VE programmed out of it.

I've had it 3 years or so now, I can't believe some people say it's plastic sounding.

PEK I haven't spent enough time with. From limited time in the stores, it's always bright blue LEDS and harsh presets. I'm sure it can do warm though.

Does the fact it has DCO's make any difference at all?

I sold my A6 just cause I got tired of its ominous complexity to be honest. to get a good sound that was centered in its sweet spot was a hell of a lot of work. More work than I have time for, frankly.

the PEK, on the other hand, I can just go to. Yeah, it has DCO's, but the andros 'vco' didnt honestly sound any better. If anything, they sounded almost the same.

of course, your experience may differ.

• Members
I don't know, I've never played one. I was just trying to come up with an Andromeda alternative. (Oh, and I was tweaking drxcm.
;)
)

From what I've heard though, it's sounds great, and is one of the few modern analog polysynths out there. I think Sizzle has one; maybe he'll tell us what's special about it.

I checked out the demos at Jomox and think it sounds pretty good, but what about it puts it over the edge?

Where the hell is Sizzle?

:D

• Members
What is so special about that thing? It's been getting a lot of press here lately.

I played one at NAMM2001. There are two things special about them:

1) the filter features variable pole movement - 24dB is four poles and they can be modulated. When you do that it sounds alien, unlike anything you've ever heard.

2) it was discontinued before the software bugs were ironed out.

I never said the specialties were good :freak:

• Members

1) the filter features variable pole movement - 24dB is four poles and they can be modulated. When you do that it sounds alien, unlike anything you've ever heard.

I never said the specialties were good
:freak:

So you mean like you assign a source to the filter 'steepness', and it goes from 6 to 12 to 18 to 24 db? Smooth 'morphing', or stepped?

• Members

I never said the specialties were good
:freak:

You don't know what you're talking about.
1. It is still being sold. (though soon to be discontinued)
2. the bugs have been pretty much ironed out. It is not a buggy synth. There are a few things that haven't been fully implemented, but it is a very powerful synth. It's not like you get something that doesn't work.

• Members

Four PEK voices provide an incredibly large sound, certainly enough for huge-sounding pads.

I found the Evolver is much much better if you get up into the 12 voice range. Yes you can do huge sounds with 4 voices if you don't care about nice release times, but if you do 4 voices is just about useless. If you can only buy 4 voices I'd stay away.

Also in general I wouldn't call it warm at all. If you want warm there is a very small range of sounds the evolver can do. If you want scream, rip your face off leaving it a bloody mess than an evolver is ok. If you want smooth milky warm your not going to be happy with the 1 or 2 sounds you can get like that out of it.

But yes, it completely sucks that there isn't a well spec'ed polyanalog out there other than the andy that doesn't cost as much as a car.

• Members

"Andromeda Alternatives? "

Well, whatever you get, it'll be an alternative, but not a substitute.

The Andromeda is pretty unique. If you still really want one, I'd hold out for it.
Play with something else for a while, while you're waiting for it. :D

• Members

My Andy has been at the repair shop for a while now (she is REALLY busy). When it comes back, I'm not sure what I'll do with it. I love its sound, but the prospects are pretty dismal for keeping it running or replacing it when it breaks. I mean, if Alesis-Numark can't work out how to build them anymore, how can they supply replacement parts? Honestly, they'll probably discontinue it anyway; every time a customer returns a lemon Andy, it just costs Alesis-Numark more money. And with the apparent 100% failure rate we've seen in the last year, they're already effectively discontinued from our point of view. I agree with the several posters above: Andromeda fans are pretty much fcuked. If you have one that works, enjoy it while it lasts.

And recommending the PEK as an alternative? Please. It's not so much a polysynth as it is four monosynths in one box. You'd need a PER to do any real polyphonic work. And I have yet to hear a demo of the PEK that doesn't sound like whack-a-mole circus music. A Matrix 12 or software would make a much better alternative to the Andromeda.

• Members

I would suggest you find a used one, i've had two without problems. As far as a replacement, you'll never find one, an A6 is it's own unique synth. Now that's not to say there arent many other analog synths out there that you would be with, the kind of crappy thing is there really isnt a place that you can demo a JP8 or a Matrix 12 against a sunsyn or Omega8. My advice, take a plunge and go for any monster poly Omega8, sunsyn, PEK, LAMM Memorymoog, prophet 5/10, JP6/8, etc...if you dont like it get rid of it and go to the next

Archived