Andromeda Alternatives?

lawst

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

2 things:

even tho words have different meaning to different people, i can never agree with "PEK warmer than Andy". compared to andys vcos, which are very alive even by vco standards, i find PEK's dcos are almost dead. not that it isn't an interesting synth in its own right, but warm or organic doesnt come to mind. at least not in the way old vintages defined these two buzzwords. further, the logic that number of oscillators makes up for a good pad maybe works with digitals, but in analog world, with a well designed fat, organic vcos, you only need two - as all the best pad machines have had in history - cs80, ob 4voice, obx, rev2 etc.

Matrix12 or Xpander - IMO thi is best substitute for Andy. M12 is in the ballpark price-wise. all you need is something like Novation SL or something if you need more knobs. (as it can be programmed to send SYSEX commands, that Matirx12 understands) . 12 polyphonic, mod matrix, velocity, after touch - all similar. and its is also a VCO synth, with very smooth analog sound. some find it less alive than a6, some the other way arround, but in any case, taking all parameters (incl price) into consideration, nothing else comes close. if u wanna save some cash and space, and can live with 6 voices, get Xpander, and put a knobby controller next to it.

PS Hey Nick, you're back . how have you been? :D

• Members
2 things:

even tho words have different meaning to different people, i can never agree with "PEK warmer than Andy". its propostrous. compared to andys vcos, which are very alive even by vco standards, PEK's dcos are DEAD. not that it isn't an interesting synth in its own right, but warm or organic it aint. at least not in the way old vintages defined these two buzzwords. logic that number of oscillators makes upnfor a good pad is completely off mark. with well designed fat, organic vcos, you only need two - as all the best pad machines have had in histor - cs80, ob 4voice, obx, rev2, and nowadays omega8 and A6.

further more, PEK and A6 are very different insturments. one full analog, the other is a hybrid with additional adda phase and digital processing. hardly a substitute..

Be careful with these kind of comments. I recall PEK vs A6 being one of the last conversations [arguments] I had on KSS before I left. :freak:

• Members

I think a lot of people got their feathers ruffled over the pek vs. A6 thing.

Maybe it's time we start another thread about it?
:D

Nonononono I am trying to hold back my true feelings. They're still a secret but I'll tell you I'm on clusterchord's team!

But then again I don't drool over the Prophets either. I'm "special". :freak:

• Members

Well, I've currently got an A6.
The only older analog I ever lusted for was an Xpander, so maybe there's something to that A6/Matrix 12 theory.
I liked the sound of the original mini, but would probably never spring for one.
So much easier to go for a Voyager. (but I probably won't do that either).;)

• Members
Well, I've currently got an A6.

The only older analog I ever lusted for was an Xpander, so maybe there's something to that A6/Matrix 12 theory.

I liked the sound of the original mini, but would probably never spring for one.

So much easier to go for a Voyager. (but I probably won't do that either).
;)

dont spring for a model d mini......b/c unfortunately you will never be able to sell it to make money for other gear b/c it is a truely magical instrument.....oh the things i could get for it but i cannnnot ever sell it haha.

• Members
dont spring for a model d mini......b/c unfortunately you will never be able to sell it to make money for other gear b/c it is a truely magical instrument.....oh the things i could get for it but i cannnnot ever sell it haha.

This is happening to me with my PEK right now! Why did I turn it on? I could have sold it just fine until I played it. Perhaps my problem is I never used it in stereo (besides headphones). My wallet's not going to like this one. :freak:

• Members

I have a (good) Andromeda and a Matrix-12. While the 'modular' capabilities of the two instruments are comparable, be warned that the sound quality is very, very different. The Matrix-12 is weak at Moogish roar or Rolandesque grit, while the Andy can't approach that ample, noble, warm Oberheim sound. That's why I've kept both: They complement each other very well. ;)

• Members

Thanks for everyones suggestions :thu:

I think from what everyone has said I'm going to give Alesis one more chance with the next batch but if the problems still remain I'll look elsewhere. I have been speaking to Alesis ALOT about the Andromeda and from what I can tell the problems are due to legacy hardware and lack of knowledge surrounding the Andromeda (all the engineers that built the Andy have left the company so I am presuming there is no documentation for other engineers to follow)

In the mean time I'll look in to the Jomox Sunsyn, the SE Omega and Matrix-12. I'll probably head in to my local pro audio store to have another play with the PEK because all the demos ive heard online seem to be sequenced and it would be cool to hear some more static sounds to get a real idea of what the sound is like.

• Members

i'd like to add, discussing who has the oberheim sound, depends on what "oberheim" sound we are talking about exactly..

is it sparkly ripping 80s sound of early CEMs in OBXA/OB8 ?

the late smooth n glassy Xpander/M12 ?

or the early discrete SEM-based, usually associated with uber-creamy pads (4/8-voice and OB-X) ?

not one and the same thing. all w different strenghts n characters.

fwiw, in my limited exp w m12, i got an impression it doesn't do organic SEM sound that well, and i dont mean programming skills, just that the texture is different. A6 is pretts sucessful with doin 4voice warm pad i think, as it has some dirt n saturation goin on (still, m12 has more low mid warmth than A6, and, i agree, a "nobler" sound).

m12 seems in a leauge of it own - better for smooth pads than XA - not agressive. modern, clean variant of CEM sound courtesy of newer gen 337x, and cleaner gain staging. i also found vcos a bit uniform compared to xa n 8.

my 0.02

few on-the-topic examples:

discrete pad from obx: pad2

CEM pad from obxa: mutepad

quasi-obie pad from andromeda: MeltsInYourMouth

unfortunately i have no demo for xpander/m12 pad.. unless marino or John NYC come thru.. ? :D

princess Leia: "Help Me , Obie Matrix 12... your my only hope..."

• Members

Lawst, I think you're right to give it one more try.

It is a damn shame synth companies (alesis especially) are churning out faulty units. It pisses me off when I get stuff I find defective or just poorly built.

In my opinion, the A6 is the closest thing to a be-all end-all analog. Now, I am NOT saying it may sound the best at all times, or that is capable of emulation of the older guys, but it seems to get in the ballpark of just about anything and of course the modulation is as extensive as you'd want to make it.

That said... one cannot have too many synths.:freak:

• Members

There will never be another synth like the Andromeda: a 16-voice real analogue, with a massive modulation matrix, highly sophisticated real-time envelope control, both extensive direct performative control of everything from LFO to oscs to pre-mix to dual filters to postmix, with 3 envelopes, and even "metarouting" with the croutes capability. Not to mention both arpeggiator and sequencer built in, along with real analogue distortion, and reasonable if lower-quality effects. Plus extensive outputs, per voice as well as CV and filter inputs. Just amazing.

Plus: it sounds incredible. And the price for all that is ridiculously low. The nearest thing, with a fraction of the functionality, a Sunsyn Code4 (only 4-voice), is going for $3600. This is $1000 less.

Unless it's a total hardship, spending the money on an Andromeda is totally worth it. Just make sure you get a good one; there've apparently been some problems lately. Latest news re: next availability is in April. Novamusik is a good source.

• Members
There will never be another synth like the Andromeda: a 16-voice real analogue, with a massive modulation matrix, highly sophisticated real-time envelope control, both extensive direct performative control of everything from LFO to oscs to pre-mix to dual filters to postmix, with 3 envelopes, and even "metarouting" with the croutes capability. Not to mention both arpeggiator and sequencer built in, along with real analogue distortion, and reasonable if lower-quality effects. Plus extensive outputs, per voice as well as CV and filter inputs. Just amazing.

Insert generic statement about there never going to be another polyphonic flagship circa 2000.

Point is never is a long time.

That said find an A6. :thu:

Archived