NIN Yearzero hypemachine

urbanscallywag

• Members

This My Violent Heart doesn't seem to have a high noise floor but I don't think its fully mastered. Some of the clips are too obvious and the dynamics go quite REALLY LOUD even beyond NIN's style.

A good friend of mine was getting a track of his mastered by Brian Gardner at Bernie Grundman a week or so ago and saw the Year Zero master sitting on the counter. So chances are what we're hearing is a premastered version, which would account for the huge dynamics. And that myspace site is just some dude's - who posted the leaked track along with one of his (meh) remixes.

"My Violent Heart" is really, really cool (and it certainly does harken back to the Downward Spriral days). Can't wait until April 17th!

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

That would suck for NIN if their record leaked and everyone is downlaoding it before it gets put out. Man I would be pissed. Then again, it might hype it up

or it could hype it down a little....

Anyone who downloads and doesn't buy isn't going to buy it, anyway.

• Members

Just listened to Survivalism on monitors. I still like it better than My Violent Heart.

As mentioned on nin.com its a "radio" oriented song. Its With Teeth-ish, to me. It fits in with the last 2 radio songs he had.

Its going to be a great NIN live song, I get all pumped up to stomp around just listening to it. Lots of room for improvisation in a live setting. :thu:

Much more obvious synth action than most of With Teeth. With Teeth was full of synth but a lot seemed to back or be backed with guitars. I can't remember any sequencing. Anyhow at least a few modular sequences happening in the background of Survivalism. :D

:) :) :)

• Members

I don't know if begged is really the term I would use with TR joining the Birds. Trent worked at PI Keyboards in Cleveland and Frank Vale, who was the keyboard player in the Birds and was the head keyboard salesman at PI, wanted Trent to join. Trent wanted out of The Urge at the time, so he joined up with the Birds. I think Trent soon realized that what he really wanted from the Birds was John Malm, the Birds manager. Trent first convinced John to trim the Birds down to a 3 piece. So Frank Vale and Mark Best, the bass player, were tossed. They 3 pieced for awhile and then Trent and John left to do NIN with Doug Beck replacing Trent. The original NIN was Trent, Chris Vrenna, and a Teac 234 cassette player.

Of course, recently it has come to light that John's bookkeeping techniques may have some Enronisms afoot.

Let me know if you need more info on this part of TR's career.

Wes Taggart

Analogics

http://www.analogics.org

• Members

I don't know if begged is really the term I would use with TR joining the Birds. Trent worked at PI Keyboards in Cleveland and Frank Vale, who was the keyboard player in the Birds and was the head keyboard salesman at PI, wanted Trent to join. Trent wanted out of The Urge at the time, so he joined up with the Birds. I think Trent soon realized that what he really wanted from the Birds was John Malm, the Birds manager. Trent first convinced John to trim the Birds down to a 3 piece. So Frank Vale and Mark Best, the bass player, were tossed. They 3 pieced for awhile and then Trent and John left to do NIN with Doug Beck replacing Trent. The original NIN was Trent, Chris Vrenna, and a Teac 234 cassette player.

Of course, recently it has come to light that John's bookkeeping techniques may have some Enronisms afoot.

Let me know if you need more info on this part of TR's career.

Wes Taggart

Analogics

So Trent was in a band called the Urge first and then the Birds? Was the Urge has first band he was in? How young was he when he started (not sure how old he is now)? The Birds are totally different sounding than NIN. That's what's so funny to me. Doesn't seemed to have suited Trent. He was probably in the other bands just for experience and trying out, you reckon?

• Members

Let's see if I can get it all straight.

Trent was in a band prior to The Urge. If I remember right, they were called Option 30 or something to that effect. I believe this was his first *playing out* band. Copy stuff. 83'ish. He then joined up with Steve Jaworski and Mike Baranski to form The Urge in '84. Trent left the band in April of '85 to join The Innocent, which featured the Donny Iris rhythm section of Kevin Valentine and Al McClain. He gave The Urge little notice (ie close to none). I replaced Trent, learning about 40 songs (the songs, programming sounds, and vocals) in less than a week. Since Trent had the LinnDrum, a drummer (Adrain Michaels) joined at the same time. Trent became dissatisfied with The Innocent (Surprise, surprise viewing their AOR song format) and started petitioning Mike and Steve with getting his gig back. With the promise of purchasing an Oberheim Xpander and a Linn 9000 (he came from a very rich family in Mercer PA - Reznor Space Heaters), I was informed in July that I would be replaced by Trent. Mike and Steve were nice enough to give me 10 weeks notice, which I didn't really use. I left in Early Sept '85 to join Moonlight Drive. Adrain left at the same time and replaced Michael Cartellone in Moonlight Drive. Upon departure, I told Steve and Mike that Trent would not last 6 months but they countered with that they had a commitment from Trent. Trent was gone in Feb '86 to join The Exotic Birds. He also had a short stint with Slam Bam Boo in the late 80's.

The music you hear Trent doing in the video is very much of what he was at the time. A-ha, Frankie Goes To Hollywood, Prince, etc....

Ironic in that he was a customer of mine in the early 90's.

It was never as if he was the greatest keyboard player, but he did have a great ear for sounds. Fun to watch perform a song. Not so fun to watch in between the songs. At that time, he had no ability to talk to an audience. Sort of a Jeckell and Hyde thing on stage.

Here's a fun link for you:

http://www.metalsludge.tv/home/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=1279&Itemid=39

Wes Taggart

Analogics

http://www.analogics.org

Archived