OT: Danelectro guitars.

Happy_Thom

• Members
Yes. I haven't had the pleasure of an original Dano, and I wouldn't fancy Happy_Thom's chances of coming across one without having to pay some hefty shipping from the US, which would likely take the shine off the bargain if money is an issue.

As regards thinness, brightness and meat- one of the most unpleasant live guitar experiences I've had was watching a band whose guitarist played an old-style 56-U2 RI. Awful tone, like being stabbed in the face. I guess it's in the hands after all
;)
FWIW, I don't think paying more for a used 56-U2 RI on ebay than you'd pay for a brand new 56-pro is a smart move. I would be surprised if you couldn't find someone on the internet who makes repro Danelectro bridges if the OEM one really does suck that bad.

http://allparts.com sell replacement bridges for danos. i got my adjustable dano bridge from there

• Members

Would you say a Dano could do more rock type stuff? Moderate gain? I've always wanted one but I've been scared of how they'd do with the type of music I play. I could probably make one work now as my newest project isn't that far along. Hmm.

• Members

Would you say a Dano could do more rock type stuff? Moderate gain? I've always wanted one but I've been scared of how they'd do with the type of music I play. I could probably make one work now as my newest project isn't that far along. Hmm.

IMO - Lipsticks don't handle anything higher than low-mid level gain very well. They are very low output pickups to begin with and don't have the punch needed for higher gain stuff.

For cleans, they're awesome - just listen to the intro to 'Ten Years Gone' off Physical Grafitti - that's the best Dano tone on record IMO.

Overdriven, they get real honky - perfect for slide tones ala Lindley and Page ('In My Time Of Dying', etc). I think the most gain I've ever played with mine would be through my cranked Princeton - creamy and thick, but not anywhere near a high gain sound. Anything more and it would probably turn to a muddy mess.

Really a fun guitar to have in your stable, nothing sounds like a Dano...

Archived