OT: Danelectro guitars.

Happy_Thom

• Members

Ok so I really want one that looks like this:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Danelectro-Baritone-electric_W0QQitemZ220074596333QQihZ012QQcategoryZ33036QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I don't want a baritone though and im not really sure of what one would be the best bet besides the colour :)

They are discontinued and i can't find a good resource for which model is what if you know what I mean.

Anybody have any recommendations, anyone have one, what do you think?

• Members

there are always a lot of dano 56-u2 or u3 on ebay.com. most of them are shipping world wide and are reasonable priced.

9 months ago i wanted to get a dc-59 from the bay but nobody wanted to ship to europe back then. started a rant here and a forumite answered with an offer. we agreed and a i got a great guitar.

dano's are cool sweet cheap guitars and i like mine, a 56-u2 is not just my thing like the dc59 more

• Members

I had a U2 reissue for a while...sounded fantastic...felt a little cheapish...very lightweight and I had to rewire the input jack...but overall I loved it. I REALLY want to pick up one of the latest 12 string models if I can ever afford it. Solid feeling and delightful, especially for a 12. :eek:

Well worth checking them out. I was very surprised the first time I tried one and have only been more impressed since. :thu:

• Members

Damn! I was kinda hoping everyone would come in and tell me to steer clear so I wouldn't have to spend more money.....

They look so damn good! Especially the commie red colour.

The main differences between the old model and the current -pro models are the tuners (old=POS, new=better), the bridge (old=angled piece of wood, new=6 saddle w/intonation adjustment), the strap buttons (old="push-in" things like bridge pins on an acoustic, new=proper ones) and the controls (old=concentric vol/tone for each pickup, new=master vol and tone).

I had one of the old ones, and it was a unique and very cool guitar. Unless you're dead set on separate volume and tone controls, I would DEFINITELY go for one of the new Pro models, which maintain the vibe but have all the right improvements.

• Members

The main differences between the old model and the current -pro models are the tuners (old=POS, new=better), the bridge (old=angled piece of wood, new=6 saddle w/intonation adjustment), the strap buttons (old="push-in" things like bridge pins on an acoustic, new=proper ones) and the controls (old=concentric vol/tone for each pickup, new=master vol and tone).

I had one of the old ones, and it was a unique and very cool guitar. Unless you're dead set on separate volume and tone controls, I would DEFINITELY go for one of the new Pro models, which maintain the vibe but have all the right improvements.

I assume you're comparing old vs. new reissues, right Bob?

If you've never played a vintage model, that 'old angled piece of wood' for a bridge has a HUGE impact on the overall tone of the guitar. It's also easier to intonate than an acoustic since the wood saddle slides back and forth - I can play open chords as far up the neck as I please and still be in tune.

Danelectros moreso than any other guitar I've played are a sum of their parts - the hollow masonite body, the lipstick pup, and the rosewood bridge all contribute to giving them their unique sound. I've played one of the newer 'Pro' models with the steel bridges and they sound very different than my '58 - thin and bright with no real meat to speak of, and this is before I even plugged in...

• Members

I assume you're comparing old vs. new
reissues
, right Bob?

If you've never played a vintage model, that 'old angled piece of wood' for a bridge has a HUGE impact on the overall tone of the guitar. It's also easier to intonate than an acoustic since the wood saddle slides back and forth - I can play open chords as far up the neck as I please and still be in tune.

Danelectros moreso than any other guitar I've played are a sum of their parts - the hollow masonite body, the lipstick pup, and the rosewood bridge all contribute to giving them their unique sound. I've played one of the newer 'Pro' models with the steel bridges and they sound very different than my '58 - thin and bright with no real meat to speak of, and this is before I even plugged in...

Bingo ...:thu:

This is why I wanted one in the first place ... I only changed the tuners on mine but left the bridge as is and I've never had intonation problems. If you look at the Dano's played by Syd Barrett and Jimmy Page the Dano re-issues are stock versions of the same product - the tone is symbiotic with the bridge and build materials; change the basics and you basically change everything.

As I said earlier ... my 56 plugged straight into my amp rips!

• Members

I still have the original tuners on mine - it's one of the most stable guitars I own tuning-wise...

Sure, I could have easily left the originals on but I wanted the extra assurance of Gotoh's and they have nothing to do with the overall tone of the guitar and it's output sound wise -

• Members

I assume you're comparing old vs. new
reissues
, right Bob?

Yes. I haven't had the pleasure of an original Dano, and I wouldn't fancy Happy_Thom's chances of coming across one without having to pay some hefty shipping from the US, which would likely take the shine off the bargain if money is an issue.

As regards thinness, brightness and meat- one of the most unpleasant live guitar experiences I've had was watching a band whose guitarist played an old-style 56-U2 RI. Awful tone, like being stabbed in the face. I guess it's in the hands after all ;) FWIW, I don't think paying more for a used 56-U2 RI on ebay than you'd pay for a brand new 56-pro is a smart move. I would be surprised if you couldn't find someone on the internet who makes repro Danelectro bridges if the OEM one really does suck that bad.

• Members

As regards thinness, brightness and meat- one of the most unpleasant live guitar experiences I've had was watching a band whose guitarist played an old-style 56-U2 RI. Awful tone, like being stabbed in the face.

That's the player NOT the guitar Bob ... My 56 sounds great straight into an amp. Sounds to me like he totally screwed his setup! The thing is the PU's are lipsticks so they require what we call mechanical sympathy! :idea:

• Members

I had a U2 reissue for a while...sounded fantastic...felt a little cheapish...very lightweight and I had to rewire the input jack...but overall I loved it. I REALLY want to pick up one of the latest 12 string models if I can ever afford it. Solid feeling and delightful, especially for a 12.
:eek:

Well worth checking them out. I was very surprised the first time I tried one and have only been more impressed since.
:thu:

I have a Dano 12 string. I forgot what model it is, but it had built in effects. I gutted it and put in Bill Lawrence humbuckers. Great neck, definitely one of my favorites. :)

• Members

I have a 56 DC from the 90's reissue series. I was tempted by the pro model that came out at the same time, but I thought the steel bridge made it just another hollowbody electric guitar that felt cheap. Yeah, intonation with the rosewood bridge is harder, but the warmth of the sound is just awesome. With heavier strings (10's or 11's), you get a really full sound. I also kept the original tuners -- tuning is a bitch because the tuners aren't consistent in terms of revolutions per turn, but once tuned, the guitar behaves itself.

It's not my main guitar, but for a couple of hundred dollars, you really can't beat my DC. It's an urpy copper color though -- like a thousand island dressing finish. I will probably refinish it black.

c

• Members

That's the player NOT the guitar Bob ... My 56 sounds great straight into an amp. Sounds to me like he totally screwed his setup! The thing is the PU's are lipsticks so they require what we call mechanical sympathy!
:idea:

Yeah, I kinda thought at the time it was probably the guy's fault, not the guitar's. I had a 56-U2 RI for a while before that (gave it to my ex- it never quite wormed its way in there like my Tele or my Jazzmaster) and while it was definitely a bright, twangy guitar it never sucked nearly that bad. For every Jeff Beck type who can make a

• Members
Yeah, I kinda thought at the time it was probably the guy's fault, not the guitar's. I had a 56-U2 RI for a while before that (gave it to my ex- it never quite wormed its way in there like my Tele or my Jazzmaster) and while it was definitely a bright, twangy guitar it never sucked nearly that bad. For every Jeff Beck type who can make a

Archived