Super OT movies that make u think

spaceshot

• Members

I really do hate off topic posts but anyone with any compassion should make it a point to see the two films I watched tonight. SherryBaby and Half Nelson. We all have our vices, and sometimes what seems like a Self-Fulfilling Prophecy feels right,but its the wrong road. Life's hard, satisfaction is easy.

PI

I think it ended with him knowing teh secret name of God.

c

• Members
You obviously didn't read my post...
:wave:

I'm surprised you didn't mention Lost Highway.
Then I'll mention it....Lost Highway.

but more than any other movies, the ones that have made me think the most are the Qatsi Trilogy: Koyaanisqatsi, Powaqqatsi, and Naqoyqatsi.

• Members
Solaris (remake)

Lost In Translation

Run Lola Run

High Fidelity - funny, but also makes me think about relationships
:cry:
Garden State

I've never seen Solaris and given your list, I think it's something I need to check out.

The director of Run Lola went to my college for a talk several years ago. Interesting guy.

c

• Members

i thought Requiem For a Dream was ok, my girlfriend hated it...

i don't know why but I like to watch Traffic every few months, it doesn't make you think in that it's confusing or weird, it's just a good movie that is really {censored}ed up in parts.

I could watch HEAT on a constant loop too, frickin love that movie

• Members

IMO, Requiem for a Dream is one of the most overrated movies. I understand why everyone loves it: it IS visually appealing. However, it doesn't really make you think. It's only visual. A long downward spiral and nothing more. What's unfortunate is the director never even begins to explore the underlying need of the various characters to escape through drug use. So we get, lonely widow wants to go on TV, her son probably misses his dead dad, rich girl is not loved enough by her parents, etc. But why not explore these issues? That is where thought emerges, through exploration of human psychology and the specificity of lived experience. Not in routine drug addiction.

For the moment I can't really think of films that make you think, if by think you mean question our day to day lives.

I figured you'd go with lost highway. Isn't that where you're avatar came from?

• Members

I figured you'd go with lost highway. Isn't that where you're avatar came from?

Yes, that is where it came from. I didn't mention it because it don't particularly feel it needs to be mentioned. It IS in my avatar after all. ;) However Lost Highway is merely one great film among a ton of others. It is also very well-known. I've been considering this question of films that make one think, and to me at least it is precisely when art confronts us on the level of our preconceptions and opens us to questions we've never before considered that the work in question becomes particularly interesting. In that regard, a typical example of a thought provoking movie would be Paul Haggis' Crash, for obvious reasons.

To that I would add one of my favorite films, for its beauty and especially for its depth, Ingmar Bergman's Cries & Whispers.

:wave:

Archived