barber LTD

dysorexia

• Members

While the Silver Kiss displaced the black LTD from one of my boards (didn't fit as well with the current lineup) it is still one of my favorite pedals and will find its way onto one of my other boards (once I can make room for it). The descriptions are pretty accurate. It is definitely a warm sounding pedal. Its smoothness is definitely an asset. I tended to use it at a level just below breakup.

I think it sounds great for "clean" leads. Into Fender type amps, it can add warmth and thickness via a subtle compression which feels more like an amp being pushed hard to its dynamic limit but not yet breaking up, and with a mild level boost, it sounds great for leads.

With a clean boost in front of it, it's breakup is a little more touch sensitive than if you boost the gain knob. . . definitely in that Robben Ford camp, but not "Zen Drive." Adding the compressor (Tone Press) gives you a low gain, sustaining lead that almost feels "searing" but with little or no clipping (if you've got the LTD set up that way). With the clean boost and compressor, you can cover an entire night's worth of music (if you only need lower gain O/D).

At higher voltages, it becomes even more dynamic. I wouldn't call it "transparent" (a better term would probably be having a flat response EQ) as it does have a mild warmth in the mids, but I would call it a very clear pedal as chords tend to mantain their definition (which, for me, makes it a good companion to the BB Preamp). With just a touch of clipping, chords really do jangle especially with single coils.

Its strength is its tone, and that you have detailed control of the low to low medium gain range.

Brett

Exactly.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

While the Silver Kiss displaced the black LTD from one of my boards (didn't fit as well with the current lineup) it is still one of my favorite pedals and will find its way onto one of my other boards (once I can make room for it). The descriptions are pretty accurate. It is definitely a warm sounding pedal. Its smoothness is definitely an asset. I tended to use it at a level just below breakup.

I think it sounds great for "clean" leads. Into Fender type amps, it can add warmth and thickness via a subtle compression which feels more like an amp being pushed hard to its dynamic limit but not yet breaking up, and with a mild level boost, it sounds great for leads.

With a clean boost in front of it, it's breakup is a little more touch sensitive than if you boost the gain knob. . . definitely in that Robben Ford camp, but not "Zen Drive." Adding the compressor (Tone Press) gives you a low gain, sustaining lead that almost feels "searing" but with little or no clipping (if you've got the LTD set up that way). With the clean boost and compressor, you can cover an entire night's worth of music (if you only need lower gain O/D).

At higher voltages, it becomes even more dynamic. I wouldn't call it "transparent" (a better term would probably be having a flat response EQ) as it does have a mild warmth in the mids, but I would call it a very clear pedal as chords tend to mantain their definition (which, for me, makes it a good companion to the BB Preamp). With just a touch of clipping, chords really do jangle especially with single coils.

Its strength is its tone, and that you have detailed control of the low to low medium gain range.

Interestingly enough, the MI Audio Tube Zone also does a great, very dynamic low gain pedal, and when run @25v, is also supposed to make a pretty intense boost pedal as well.

Brett

How would an LTD sound after distortion. Right now I'm using a direct drive as my main sound with the gain up around 1:00 into a fender deluxe reverb. For a lead boost, I have a micro amp after it. But for light overdrive, the direct drive doesn't clean up as much as I'd like and the micro amp is just clean. I like having a bit of midrange added to my solos, but putting a tube screamer after the direct drive is too muddy sounding. Putting it before sounds great, but no boost in volume, only gain and compression. I was thinking that placing the LTD after the direct drive would give me a nice clean volume boost with a bit of added midrange without totally taking over the tone of the direct drive. What do you think?

• Members

How would an LTD sound after distortion. Right now I'm using a direct drive as my main sound with the gain up around 1:00 into a fender deluxe reverb. For a lead boost, I have a micro amp after it. But for light overdrive, the direct drive doesn't clean up as much as I'd like and the micro amp is just clean. I like having a bit of midrange added to my solos, but putting a tube screamer after the direct drive is too muddy sounding. Putting it before sounds great, but no boost in volume, only gain and compression. I was thinking that placing the LTD after the direct drive would give me a nice clean volume boost with a bit of added midrange without totally taking over the tone of the direct drive. What do you think?

The DDSS tends to be compressed and the LTD has a bit of compression and warming in the mids to it, so if you boost the LTD's gain much past 10:00 (DDSS gain around 12:00, moderate volume boost) you bring up the noise floor and the compression becomes noticeable, but you also get a little bit of sizzle to the clipping which is nice (especially if you drive the front end of the LTD with the DDSS volume level). You could probably find a nice balance.

If you leave the DDSS at unity gain, you could boost the LTD's gain a bit more, but you probably won't get much of that sizzle, just more of a compressed tone.

Boosting the LTD's tone knob will add a brightness to the mids that the DDSS doesn't do on its own.

With the gain down low and the level up, the slight mid emphasis and level boost would push leads out front a bit more.

Brett

Archived