barber LTD

dysorexia

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

so are you saying you can get voxish type OD out of this thing?

if so.. i'm {censored}ING SOLD on it..

It can get a good compressed, chimey cord thing going. Not like the Fizzy Vox distortion, but like the cord Beatles kind of thing. Byrds.

Like Tom Petty, maybe?

Not like Kinks or Queen.

• Members

It can get a good compressed, chimey cord thing going. Not like the Fizzy Vox distortion, but like the cord Beatles kind of thing. Byrds.

Like Tom Petty, maybe?

Not like Kinks or Queen.

im thinking radiohead warm OD..

and i'm not going broke.. all i do is spend my money on guitar stuff.. its what i enjoy..

• Members

Like Tom Petty, maybe?

Not like Kinks or Queen.

Oh, my ass, what are you guys smoking? Have you ever owned an AC30??

• Members

I hear ya. You've made some sick purchases lately. Oh, the envy!!!
:mad::p:thu:

yea, well that has been due to saving and being very picky as to what i buy. as well as i sold off a guitar and got in like $1100 on top of what i already had saved..

• Members

yeah those are the two I wanna pickup most, but I can't decide if I want the gainster over the Small Fry

gainster is a lot thicker, less gain on tap, more bass available, I have the LTD, great for chord work,direct drive, small fry, and the C/Barber Gainster. I use them all, great stuff!:thu:

• Members

Oh, my ass, what are you guys smoking? Have you ever owned an AC30??

Well, one of my main amps is a TopHat Club Royal, which is a boutique build AC30 style amp. Very similar.

And I worked for 4 years at a music store, played Voxes plenty.

I go for a bit warmer Vox tone than many, but the LTD has a lot of the thick compressed tone I go for. Voxes get a lot of different sounds.

Might not be what you think of as Vox, but the LTD has a chime and squash that brings that description to mind.

• Members

Well, one of my main amps is a TopHat Club Royal, which is a boutique build AC30 style amp. Very similar.

And I worked for 4 years at a music store, played Voxes plenty.

I go for a bit warmer Vox tone than many, but the LTD has a lot of the thick compressed tone I go for. Voxes get a lot of different sounds.

Might not be what you think of as Vox, but the LTD has a chime and squash that brings that description to mind.

Well, I won't bring you down, party on with your LTD. I would never consider the LTD as a thick, compressed tone. Sort of an irritating conjested mid type thing. I love Barber pedals but this was the one that I couldn't even stick on my pedal board!

• Members

Well, I won't bring you down, party on with your LTD. I would never consider the LTD as a thick, compressed tone. Sort of an irritating conjested mid type thing. I love Barber pedals but this was the one that I couldn't even stick on my pedal board!

Man! what are your settings??:confused: Mine sounds great!

• Members

Man! what are your settings??
:confused:
Mine sounds great!

I hate to be glib but ...all settings??? My current gig/studio rig is a 58 Deluxe, Strats, SG, Barber Tone Press, BOR, frankly I find that a lowly, perhaps underated DOD Juice Box kicks the LTD's ass all day long... Believe me I have quite a few OD options.

Boutique doesn't always mean better. But I respect that there are many different tone recipies and everyone has their preference.

• Members

While the Silver Kiss displaced the black LTD from one of my boards (didn't fit as well with the current lineup) it is still one of my favorite pedals and will find its way onto one of my other boards (once I can make room for it). The descriptions are pretty accurate. It is definitely a warm sounding pedal. Its smoothness is definitely an asset. I tended to use it at a level just below breakup.

I think it sounds great for "clean" leads. Into Fender type amps, it can add warmth and thickness via a subtle compression which feels more like an amp being pushed hard to its dynamic limit but not yet breaking up, and with a mild level boost, it sounds great for leads.

With a clean boost in front of it, it's breakup is a little more touch sensitive than if you boost the gain knob. . . definitely in that Robben Ford camp, but not "Zen Drive." Adding the compressor (Tone Press) gives you a low gain, sustaining lead that almost feels "searing" but with little or no clipping (if you've got the LTD set up that way). With the clean boost and compressor, you can cover an entire night's worth of music (if you only need lower gain O/D).

At higher voltages, it becomes even more dynamic. I wouldn't call it "transparent" (a better term would probably be having a flat response EQ) as it does have a mild warmth in the mids, but I would call it a very clear pedal as chords tend to mantain their definition (which, for me, makes it a good companion to the BB Preamp). With just a touch of clipping, chords really do jangle especially with single coils.

Its strength is its tone, and that you have detailed control of the low to low medium gain range.

Interestingly enough, the MI Audio Tube Zone also does a great, very dynamic low gain pedal, and when run @25v, is also supposed to make a pretty intense boost pedal as well.

Brett

Archived