Anyone built a Warmoth guitar?

CicadaSilence

• Members

Warmoth itself is great. Absolutely top notch everything. Top quality stuff, excellent service, very helpful.

The thing to keep in mind if you've never built a guitar like this before is that there is a lot of work to be done in addition to selecting a good neck, body and hardware. Warmoth does virtually none of this - no fretwork, setup, adjustment, etc. That's why if you go on eBay and type in Warmoth you find a ton of half-finished projects and guitars that went south but must have cost the "builder" an arm and a leg.

It's always helpful to hire an experienced luthier to do the heavy lifting - fretwork, setup, drilling, and finishing if you don't have Warmoth do the finish.

You'll also get a better resale value on eBay if you can say that it was assembled by and set up by well known luthier "x."

• Members

I built a baritone tele and the neck was perfect. I bought it all from their showcase section but the frets were perfect. Took it to a luthier and he didn't have to file them or adjust the neck...weird. They make great stuff but like everyone else said...the devil is in the details!

• Members

Warmoth itself is great. Absolutely top notch everything. Top quality stuff, excellent service, very helpful.

The thing to keep in mind if you've never built a guitar like this before is that there is a lot of work to be done in addition to selecting a good neck, body and hardware. Warmoth does virtually none of this - no fretwork, setup, adjustment, etc. That's why if you go on eBay and type in Warmoth you find a ton of half-finished projects and guitars that went south but must have cost the "builder" an arm and a leg.

It's always helpful to hire an experienced luthier to do the heavy lifting - fretwork, setup, drilling, and finishing if you don't have Warmoth do the finish.

I'm having my tech do all the wiring. My soldering skills are lacking, but I've been doing my own setups since I first picked up a guitar. I'll definately have Warmoth do the finish.

Thanks for the advice, all.

• Members
I just finished building one, (not all warmoth, but a lot) they were very nice, I bought a showcase neck which included fretting of my choice, and it's really nice. One of the best necks I've ever played. Finishing a neck is also pretty easy, the body is harder to do.

strat.jpg

OMFG

I've wanted to build a strat just like that. DAMN GAS...

• Members

Mine's a Warmoth--I love it.

Boatback birdseye maple neck, northern ash body, did the neck finish myself and the body with help on the sunburst from Sonfather Guitars in Rocklin, CA. Used Bill Lawrence L280 pups with vol, neck/bridge blend, and single tone wiring. Two button-type string trees, an Earvana nut, vintage-style tuners, and a vintage-style trem.
strat.jpg

• Members
^ Very nice.
:cool:

My Jazz will look like this, with the addition of a Hipshot trem and a Sustainer.

jazzbass2-1.jpg

Man, the matching headstock is pure sex. :love: That'll be a great bass. :thu: I can only imagine the crazy sounds with the sustainer+trem. :eek::love:

• Members
^ Sexy.

Trem and sustainer on a bass?
:eek:
What kind of musizicks to you play?

A little bit of everything, really. With my band, I'm playing mostly straight ahead rock, a little bit of hiphop, and Doors-y type stuff. Some fun covers too: Rolling Stones, Folk Implosion, Outkast, Roxy Music, Neil Young... whatever we think would be cool to whip out at a gig.

The stuff I'm writing on my own is sorta... Drum & bass space jazz? :confused::D I'm in the process of fighting with my computer, hopefully it'll be up and recording within the month.

• Members
Man, the matching headstock is pure sex.
:love:
That'll be a great bass.
:thu:
I can only imagine the crazy sounds with the sustainer+trem.
:eek::love:

I'll post some clips, and a song or two after I get it built. I can't wait. :D It'll be awhile yet; I've got to sell off a few pedals, my Jazzmaster, and an amp to get this project under way.

• Members
I just finished building one, (not all warmoth, but a lot) they were very nice, I bought a showcase neck which included fretting of my choice, and it's really nice. One of the best necks I've ever played. Finishing a neck is also pretty easy, the body is harder to do.

strat.jpg

Awesome...

Archived