which instrument helps you play guitar more effectively?

dysorexia

• Members

well the reason I posted the poll is because I wanted to find out which instrument I should play next, I already play guitar. Bass seems kind of boring to me, I'm thinking either drums or keys. I can't sight read or read music. I'm decent with theory...

• Members

well the reason I posted the poll is because I wanted to find out which instrument I should play next, I already play guitar. Bass seems kind of boring to me, I'm thinking either drums or keys. I can't sight read or read music. I'm decent with theory...

Doesn't matter what instrument you play. Play what you want. Learning theory and how to read are just as important regardless.

• Members
I think any other instrument will help you to think more as a musician an less as a player of a particular instrument. I'd go with the one you
want
to learn, otherwise it's just a chore. I'd say drums, but only because that's what I'd chose to play.

yup, but which has a long learning curve? I mean I don't expect to just get in and play. I realize it'll take time but I'm just trying to learn more and more before I get old and start forgetting {censored}. ;)

• Members

Since I play all the instruments in your poll, I would say Keyboards by far. The thing is I have played piano much longer than I have played guitar.

Right now I play Keys/guitar in a band. Its a pain to haul 2 rigs, but definetely helps the sound of the band....

• Members

The Drums will help your rhythm incredibly. Rhythm and feel are what is missing from the vast majority of people's playing. Learning to play drums will help your musicianship more than the keyboard will.

Depends on what your goal is, really. Playing drums will tighten up your playing on guitar, but playing piano might help more in the songwriting department.

• Members

Learn to sing. It helps enormously with your ear development, your sense of melody, and your ability to communicate with other musicians. As a band member, even if you can do backups, you are far more valuable than the instrumentalist who is better than you but is not able to contribute vocally.

Chris

• Members

Learn to sing. It helps enormously with your ear development, your sense of melody, and your ability to communicate with other musicians. As a band member, even if you can do backups, you are far more valuable than the instrumentalist who is better than you but is not able to contribute vocally.

Chris

oh, I forgot to say I sing already. I sing/play guitar in the band I'm in.

• Members

I realize it'll take time but I'm just trying to learn more and more before I get old and start forgetting {censored}.
;)

Hey man, when you get older you'll discover that forgetting sh** is not always a bad thing. ;)

They're equally important but I say you should tackle bass next because you think it's boring. Get the book "Standing In The Shadows of Motown" and learn all those James Jamerson grooves. Learn all of James Brown's tunes too. I think you'll discover that it's not boring at all.

• Members

as far as making you better at the physical aspects of guitar, definitely bass. really stretches your fingers like you don't on a guitar, and the heavier strings work your fingers harder. a poorly setup acoustic does the same thing.

as far as being a better musician, the more you learn the better.

• Members

Well...out of all the instruments I've tried out, I've basically been able to pick them up and start playing. Bass...drums...piano...

As for what helps me, acoustic guitar. I know, it's still a guitar, but it's a completely different sound and feel, which inspires completely different musical ideas.

If I had all the instruments I wanted, however, I'm sure I'd use bass a lot, as well as piano.

Archived