Akai S3000XL

MAM Freebase 383

Close to $1000 for a complete gig.
:eek:

I'd make it

RS7000

JX8P

Freebase.

actually that's a pretty cool setup right there. cool sequencer, sampler, poly analog, cool acid analog bass together with an ok rompler that can be mangled into oblivion with RS's fx. Not to mention resampling with loop remix function.

:thu:

• Members

LameAim: You've yet to include analog. Is that intentional?

I don't know of any relatively cheap poly analogs with MIDI, and it seems to me a bit wasteful to have a monosynth in a 3-piece setup... do you have some you can suggest?

• Members

Pix: you're right, looks good. I am skeptical about the RS7000 but I'll trust you. :D

DJ shmeejay, no laughing here, only encouragement to buy things you don't need. Don't you find overlap with the 2 SPs and Ableton though?

LameAim. Hm. I see it as you can get away with poly digitals, but I've never seen a digital mono. So to me a mono analog is totally worth it. The ATC-1 has become pretty cheap these days.

• Members

Pix: you're right, looks good. I am skeptical about the RS7000 but I'll trust you.
:D

the only advantage I see in the rm1x is the smaller size. the RS7000 uses much of the Rm1x system and adds a lot of goodies on top. You can actually use it as a loop recorder for your external gear (better if you have the digital i/o expansion) and then apply the loop remix thing on the recorded loops and keep only the variations you like. It actually waits until the beginning of the next measure and recs for the amount of measures you want.

The other cool thing over the RM1x (besides the sampler and better rompler) is that it has a rehearsal mode where you can get into and out of rec mode with the sequencer running. It's not as well implemented as the elektrons or the MPCs but it's an ok compromise.

It's a considerable step up from the Rm1x

• Members
Hm. I see it as you can get away with poly digitals, but I've never seen a digital mono. So to me a mono analog is totally worth it.

Probably. Then again, I guess I was thinking of 3-piece setups I could afford... :D

Wait, isn't the MEK part digital?

• Members

Yamaha DX7II (for controller as well as FM sounds)
Yamaha Motif ES Rack (or Roland Fantom Rack)
Roland MKS-70

and either Sonar or Cubase.

This setup would cover a lot of bases with all major sound generation technics represented. I just played a Yamaha DX7II yesterday - what an excellent keybed.

A good budget studio would be:
Yamaha TX802 (or TX81Z)
Roland MKS-50
Korg TR Rack

You could get all three for around $500 and have FM, Analog, and a modern rompler.

• Members

hypothetically, if i could choose to have a "studio B" for creating bleepy electronic sequenced something :D, a direction that intrigues me lately, while keeping the rest of my setup..

Sequentix P3
SunSyn
999 or MD UW
FutureRetro XS

jupiter8
sh2

does this still pass as "minimalistic" ?

• Members

My current setup, which I consider pretty minimal, consists of

Monomachine
MD
NL2x

Fantom as controller + occasional rompler duties + of course some good digital efx. Analog is something from previous century ;=).

You can listen here how it sounds.

• Members

Here is my setup. It's software but I am glad that I have managed to finally slim it down to things that I actually feel comfortable with:

Cakewalk Project5 (the sequencer)
Zebra 2.1 (the synth)
Shortcircuit 2 (the sampler/drumsampler)

(Oops, I just realized that I got Cakewalk Dimension Pro too - but I got it mostly for the sample content that I can also use in SC2.)

• Members

When I went to bed last night I gave some thought to this thread, and I don't think I'll be able to live up to making a minimalist studio. If I did, the Andromeda would have to stay because of the price I paid for it and also its a great polysynth. I also would have a hard time selling the x0xb0x I built.

So a realistic setup for me:

Alesis Andromeda

Elektron SFX-60

Akai MPC-1000

x0xb0x

*modular

• Members
hypothetically, if i could choose to have a "studio B" for creating bleepy electronic sequenced something
:D
, a direction that intrigues me lately, while keeping the rest of my setup..

Sequentix P3

SunSyn

999 or MD UW

FutureRetro XS

jupiter8

sh2

does this still pass as "minimalistic" ?

No you've gone overboard. You get Jupiter 8 or Sunsyn and the XS or SH-2. :p

Archived