Minimalist studio thread

• Members
I thought I mentioned my XL7? I haven't worked with it much lately, as I've been learning my way around my newly acquired Nord G2X. I'll probably have my M-Audio trigger the XL7's electric piano patches and the G2X specialize in the more frankly electronic sounds. I like the G2X's DX-piano sounds - very responsive for me - but I'm trying to prevent my "minimalist" setup from getting too complicated. I'll probably end up recording G2X-generated sequences into the XL7 for drum parts, as the band is very supportive of some songs featuring a machine-generated rhythm section while the bass-guitarist/vocalist does something other than play bass (eg. just sing, or play her guitar, or both).

Sorry, I missed it. :o

The Emus interest me because I think I'll need a ROMpler someday...

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Then I'll be first in line for a brand new Mono UW, (rather than an upgraded standard one.)
:D

yeah man, I'd love that as well. I suggested sometimne ago in the yahoo list that they could at least introduce kbd input recording for the ROM and RAM machines in the UW, but almost no one seemed interested the idea. Even if monophonic only, that would make a hell of a sampler. Or of course, make a UW version of the monomachine. It'd be even better with all the dedicated envelopes, delays, etc...

maybe it's time to raise the issue again....:thu:

• Members

My Dream Studio

Alesis Andromeda
Access virus Ti(desktop)
Roland MV8800

80s Retro Studio

Yamaha DX7
Roland TB-303
Akai MPC 60

Budget Studio (Secondhand)

Roland JX-8P
Yamaha RM1X
Yamaha A3000

Budget Studio (New)

Alesis Micron
Akai MPC 1000

Old Skool Hip Hop

Akai MPC 2000XL
Technics SL1200

• Members
Sorry, I missed it.
:o

The Emus interest me because I think I'll need a ROMpler someday...

I like the filters and modulation options, among other things. I'm going to have to save all the advice posted on this thread below, especially the ones from aeon, because they hint at some interesting stuff that can be done with Command Stations that I haven't even tried yet:

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/showthread.php?t=554937

I'm ashamed to admit I still have yet to bust out the MOTU Unisyn that I bought specifically for a more visual editing interface for the XL7. I probably didn't need Unisyn, but I wanted to be able to see more stuff graphically laid out.

• Members

There's little to add after Ian's tour de force, but I'll say this: mapping polyphonic aftertouch to loop points on a sampler like Battery or Kontakt {you may need to remap the poly-AT to CCs, depending on the instrument/program} is a killer effect.

• Members
There's little to add after Ian's tour de force, but I'll say this: mapping polyphonic aftertouch to loop points on a sampler like Battery or Kontakt {you may need to remap the poly-AT to CCs, depending on the instrument/program} is a killer effect.

Ugh, I always try to do this with the MPC1000 but I guess it doesn't send aftertouch or I didn't try hard enough.

• Members

So the Command Stations' drum pads transmit polyphonic aftertouch? :eek:

I haven't gotten around to trying that. If so, I'll have to find a way to incorporate my XL7 into my rig in such a way I have easy access to the drum pads. That would add tons of options for making individual notes out of chords stand out.

I thought the Akai MPC series were supposed to be able to do poly aftertouch too. The Roland Handsonic HPD-15 definitely does - that's what makes various pressure-driven sounds like "talking" conga, tabla, etc. sounds possible.

• Members

-Technosaurus Microcon II
-Cwejman s1 MKII
-Sequencer, still need to decide on one.

This is the setup in my head that will maybe come true over the next few months. I'm sure gonna try to make it happen. It will be for live as well, but I'll also being playing bass, and there will be a drummer.

• Members

The MPC1000 has polyphonic aftertouch internally, but I'm not sure they transmit that information over MIDI.

I dont believe it transmits either.

The pads on my Roland Fantom X6 also transmit poly-at. ive never gotten around to using it, however.

• Members
Oi that sounds fun.

I often "play" synths with the MPC pads. I really wanted to try aftertouch with an FM synth like the TG77 but it never worked.
:(

Something new on the GAS list. I guess the MPC1000 might be on its way out.
:o

ya'know...my MPC may be on its way out to. It was really fun for a while, but now its not so much fun.

I feel a spring consolidation coming on...

Archived