Help a guy who hates fuzz pedals pick a fuzz pedal.

FWAxeIbanez

• Members

I'm trying to remember, but I'm pretty sure my first post on this board was complaining about how many people are making fuzz boxes. Seriously, it seems like fuzz boxes are what boutique builders learn how to make first or something because there are tons of them.

anyway, enough bashing...

My band has been writing some doomier sludgy parts lately where we normally use boosts, and I'm actually thinking a fuzz would be better. I really have never looked into fuzzes, but I am a fan of the Roland Bee Baa, which is not really an option because they aren't particularly common or priced well for me. I'm looking for a really warm and wooly type of box, I want it to widen the tone and warm it, not thin it out and get all shrill and crackly. I'll be using it to boost an already dirty channel, and plan on keeping it sort of subtle, so I don't need something that will make me sound like a raygun or a Kazoo or anything.

Think Jesu, Melvins, Isis, Mouth of the Architect.

Thanks guys

• Members

I absolutely despise the big muff, but I've only ever had the Pi. For guitar and bass, I couldn't stand it. If certain ones really are that much better than the Pi, let me know and I'll give it a shot. I just figured the gist of the "muff" sound was present in the Pi so I stayed away from the rest of them.

edit: I really want to kick this box and turn my amp into a wooly wall of sound. The idea is to sound "bigger" after I step on it, and I feel like the Pi constricts. I am not after that hendrixy vintage crunchy fuzz, thats for sure... it worked great for them, but I cringe whenever try one for myself.

• Members

I'm pretty partial to my G.S. Wyllie Moonrock. It's got a really nice fuzz sound with its left knob in the middle and reacts very much to your guitar volume. It's also able to sound sort of like an ampeg scrambler with the knob all the way to the left and that can sound extremely "wooly" on a dirty channel. It's also built like an absolute tank and runs about 225. There are some ok clips here, but I think it sounds much better in person.

http://www.tonefrenzy.com/effects/moonrock.html

There's another clip on the builder's site: http://home.mindspring.com/~wylo/id7.html

You might also check out the fuzzmite on that page.

• Members

I absolutely despise the big muff, but I've only ever had the Pi. For guitar and bass, I couldn't stand it. If certain ones really are
that
much better than the Pi, let me know and I'll give it a shot. I just figured the gist of the "muff" sound was present in the Pi so I stayed away from the rest of them.

edit: I really want to kick this box and turn my amp into a wooly wall of sound. The idea is to sound "bigger" after I step on it, and I feel like the Pi constricts. I am not after that hendrixy vintage crunchy fuzz, thats for sure... it worked great for them, but I cringe whenever try one for myself.

"Woolly wall of sound" screams "Big Muff" to me. :confused:

FWIW, I haven't run my muff through an already overdriven amp.

Which Muff do you have? By the way, they're all called "Big Muff Pi". The other names are just referring to the look of the pedals and the circuits that lie within.

• Members

I'd say booteek builders make ts clones over fuzz pedals.

You definitely want a big muff. Right now, I use a skreddy mayo into a tweed deluxe clone, and it suits my needs nicely, not perfectly, but that perfect fuzz sound is probably unatainable. Whether you get that one or another clone, you probably want something better then the ehx reissues, which suck.

Also, if you really liked the bee baa, check out the barge concepts bee baa clone. I have one, and it sounds great, though it isn't that close to a big muff.

• Members

Big Muff (several/most versions are Pi) can definitely get sludgy, if you found it harsh probably had tone cranked maybe because it can get boring with the tone lower. For that reason alone I must say consider Subzombie, which I make, even though it does more harsh/bright sounds than thick ones. Also makes a versatile dirty boost and cuts through additional distortion. I will mention the Muff becomes much more like a distortion with clearer high end from the guitar when driven by a buffer that doesn't load down the guitar, you may have been doing that, or maybe should try it.

Old Melvins is Rat with even more treble cut via EQ. Also through a dirty amp, consider most distortions with seperate bass and treble, I was using both DOD Classic Fuzz and Super American Metal at one point, the Fuzz was chunkier but the SAM was better for leads and fulfilled much the same function of heavily munging the signal and could be set for a similar playing response, so I booted the Fuzz.

• Members

i'm sorry if this is being really patronising because you may well have tried this anyway, but try using a big muff with the volume maxed and the gain on about half way or less if you're putting it into a dirty amp. it makes it unusable on a clean chanel because of the volume boost, but into a dirty chanel it will bost gain and add thickness. also, the black russian muff is better for this kind of thing to the usa model.

if you have it set like you would to put it into a clean amp, it'll sound crap for what you want.

it's not a fuzz, but an incredibly versatile pedal for boosting stuff for not much money is the marshall jackhammer. set it to jcm800 mode, crank the volume right up, put the gain on about number 4 and play with the excellent eq to get the tone you want.

also the old tech21 XXL pedals are good for a doomy sludge tone, but they only sound good on certain amps. sounded great on my old laney gh50l but appalling on my mate's valveking. i heard the newer ones aren't as good, but i haven't tried them.

• Members

I'm really diggin that Barge concepts pedal guys... thanks

I'm gonna check some of the other ones out right now, I was snoring while you were typing. And if anyone wants a Ps2 for thier fuzz, let me know, hahaha

about the distortion vs. fuzz thing, I like using a boost with a bit more gain added like we are doing now, because it does get louder and helps with the wall of sound thing, but it tightens up the tone at the same time and I kinda want to loosen it, you know?

Archived