midi orchestra instruments...which one under $800

• Members

hey guys, im interested in getting some real good string sounds for my studio, i want strings, cellos id like horns, and other various orchestra sounds. i want to be able to do string sounds like dimmu borgir, and other black metal bands, as well as mostly random string parts in pop songs, not full only orchestra peices. what can you guys reccomend? i run logic pro on a dual 2.0 g5 with 2.5 gigs of ram. all i have are the samplers that come with logic. would i need to get a better sampler too?

also random question about writing the parts in midi, how would i tell a sequencer, such as the EXS24 or whatever one i buy to "play notes differently" like legato, or picking notes, or long bows, or short notes. do i have to write that all in the notation editor? or can i do it from piano roll? im not too experienced in all this midi stuff sorry for the dumb questions

ian

• Members

If I could get one right now, i'd get the Garritan Personal Orchestra.

If I wanted a hardware synth i would consider Kurzweil.

At the present time though I'm using a Juno D and Proteus for orchestral sounds.

For different bowing and articulations i use different samples on different tracks, so when i need spiccato i record the part in the spiccato track, if i need pizzacatto i record in that track. I use a template with 30 or so tracks so all the parts of the orchestra are laid out for me. I use a piano roll for most data entry.

If you want to hear how this sounds click my sound click (the time being) and listen to E minor Symphony.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=669771

I assume the sample libraries use some of this technique but also have multisampled patch / map splits built in to make it easier. Garritan for instance includes samples of solo instruments and various size sections

that you can add together to build the ensembles you need.

• 4 years later...
  • Members

Thread back from the dead!!!

Yamaha now has a version of Garritan Personal Orchestra that can be loaded into my Motif XF: $129

audiomid.com has a "no brainer" on the IK Miroslav Classik (lite) for $15 :eek:

esoundz has the full IK Miroslav for $99

Even though it's the priciest, the GPO will work in hardware which is worth paying extra for. But how does GPO compare with the IK Miroslav? $15 is awfully tempting :poke:

• Members

hey guys, im interested in getting some real good string sounds for my studio, i want strings, cellos id like horns, and other various orchestra sounds. i want to be able to do string sounds like dimmu borgir, and other black metal bands, as well as mostly random string parts in pop songs, not full only orchestra peices. what can you guys reccomend? i run logic pro on a dual 2.0 g5 with 2.5 gigs of ram. all i have are the samplers that come with logic. would i need to get a better sampler too?

also random question about writing the parts in midi, how would i tell a sequencer, such as the EXS24 or whatever one i buy to "play notes differently" like legato, or picking notes, or long bows, or short notes. do i have to write that all in the notation editor? or can i do it from piano roll? im not too experienced in all this midi stuff sorry for the dumb questions

ian

Any large software library. I personally like the hollywood strings demos best, though might require some processing to get a dimmu type sound. Don't go for hardware. If you do, Dimmu used korg. Korg strings still have unique sound so if that's what you want then pick one up. Kurzweil has prolly the best strings out of them, but there are just not enough articulations and rom dedicated to it. Holly wood strings is like 10 000x? bigger, for example. Also you need other instruments too if you want to get that big sound...

I believe dimmu used real orchestra in the latest albums, which was huge notch up from the X5d or whatever.

LOL, didn't notice the date... soz.

• Members

I've tried them all, and each one has its strengths and weaknesses. Overall, in your price point, I'd say EastWest Symphonic Orchestra Platinum is the most well-rounded, and I just snagged it on sale for $399 (the promotion might be over, but wait a month and it'll probably come back).

There's better stuff, but not for less than $800, unfortunately.

• Members

I've tried them all, and each one has its strengths and weaknesses. Overall, in your price point, I'd say
EastWest Symphonic Orchestra Platinum
is the most well-rounded, and I just snagged it on sale for $399 (the promotion might be over, but wait a month and it'll probably come back).

There's better stuff, but not for less than $800, unfortunately.

I second this emotion :)

Archived