proco rat

• Members

hey guys,

i absolutely love the sound of the proco rat, and i'm convinced i want to buy one. but i did notice that there are a few different models.

between the standard model, you dirty rat and the turbo rat, which would you recommend? i play a dark western/evil country sort of style.

i really love the turbo rat, but IMO it sounds alot like the muff, which i already own

what do you cats think?

thanks in advance.

• Members

I had older Rat's (a 2 and a Vintage Reissue) both stock and modded and they were great but I ended up selling them for quickly needed cash. Anyway, about 3 months ago I ordered another Rat 2 and this time it had a "Made In China" sticker and maybe it was just that one but it sounded like complete DS-1, trebly {censored} compared to my old, "Made In Kalamazoo" pedals.

IMHO look for the USA version and avoid the newer Chinese ones.

• Members

I like all the reissues and the originals. Rats are my favorite Distortion/OD of all time. If you really want to test out the different sounds you might do best to get a Deucetone Rat. You can usually find them used on ebay for about $100. It's actually 2 Rats in 1 box; seperate footswitches, even seperate inputs and outputs. The thing that makes it unique is the switch in back from Clean to vintage rat to turbo rat. For my money, I think the vintage setting has the goods on all of them, but I still really like what each does. The byoc rat clone is really great too. That's what I use at the moment. It's modeled after the original w/ the lm308 chip. Good luck with the search.

• Members

the original rats are the way to go imo. i have a keeley rat and i just ordered a freakshow brown rabbit (rat clone). I want to do a shootout between the 2 cause the keeley is a little on the smooth/less aggressive side for me. If you can find an 80's rat 2 then that would probably be the way to go.

• Members

The Keeley-modded Rat is one of the best overdrive you can ever get. Sure, it delivers a creamy and amazing distortion (I think it's modded to the older ones specs), but if you want the tone of a RAT in an OD, that's the way to go.
Unfortunately, I have to admit I truly don't understand all the big differences between the different Rats... They all sound pretty good to my ear.

• Members
The Keeley-modded Rat is one of the best overdrive you can ever get. Sure, it delivers a creamy and amazing distortion (I think it's modded to the older ones specs), but if you want the tone of a RAT in an OD, that's the way to go.

Unfortunately, I have to admit I truly don't understand all the big differences between the different Rats... They all sound pretty good to my ear.

The keeley rat has been my main dist. for over 2 years now... and while it sounds decent, it's definitely not as good as the originals. They say it's like an old one but it's not. The keeley ts mod is one that i also use and it's much more usable. The freakshow website has some pretty great sounding video demos for their brown rabbit rat clone.

www.freakshoweffects.com

• Members
The keeley rat has been my main dist. for over 2 years now... and while it sounds decent, it's definitely not as good as the originals. They say it's like an old one but it's not. The keeley ts mod is one that i also use and it's much more usable. The freakshow website has some pretty great sounding video demos for their brown rabbit rat clone.

www.freakshoweffects.com

Nothing beats a early 80's RAT. They are by far the best Rat's out there! :thu:

The next best thing is the Keeley-modded Rat.

The newer un-modded Rat's pale in comparison. :cry:

• Members
Nothing beats a early 80's RAT. They are by far the best Rat's out there!
:thu:

The next best thing is the Keeley-modded Rat.

The newer un-modded Rat's pale in comparison.
:cry:

I'm gonna post some clips in the next couple of days.... just got the freakshow b.r. and it smokes the keeley imo. I still have both so I'll do a comparison.

• Members

Pro Co Rat 2 is a killer pedal... I loved mine so much I sunk it into a Muff housing so it's 2 pedals in one... check it out...

thats neat - you have to use two 9v adapters? I couldnt get a good sound out of my Big Muff and rat together. I use a dod250 in front of my rat and it sounds great! Well good job!

Archived