Rat-1, Proco Rat, Vintage Rat are different names for one pedal?

separanets

• Members

Rat-1, Proco Rat, Vintage Rat are different names for one pedal or defferent pedals at all?

I'd like to have the things brought in the proper order. I mean to get one on the yahoo one day and I need to know in which pedals the LM308 is installed and which pedal has "The Rat" on its bottom.

They put names in defferent ways. They may write Rat? instead of Rat2 or they may RatII. Some times the write Vintage Rat, sometimes I see 'old rat' but mostly they write "Rat-1". So is the name of Rat-1 the same as just Proco Rat, Vintage Rat?

Or maybe it's better to exclude the modern models, which ones do we have now? the DeuceTone, You Dirty Rat, the Rat2 (also vintage :rolleyes: ), what else?

thanks.

• Members

Rat ll is defanately the reissue to the original rat, but i am not sure if the original rat is the vintage looking one or the first line of small box rats, you can tell the difference between rat 2's and the original small box rats because where it says rat on the front face the old one had the logo next to the word rat and they didn't not have an LED. The vintage rat is the flat big boxed version but there is reissue's of that too.

• Members

So many Rats, so little time. :)

"Bud Box" RAT

Never intended to be a mass produced product, the original RAT pedals were built completely by hand, enclosed in an off-the-shelf project box. All of the holes were hand drilled and were finished in a black crinkle coating with a bright florescent silk-screened logo. Only twelve of these pedal were built, one prototype and eleven production models.

The Rat 1979-81

The Rat

This was the first RAT pedal manufactured in large numbers. To give the RAT a unique look, a custom 20 gauge wrap-around enclosure was designed. The white RAT logo was silk-screened on black, painted metal. The "EQ" on this pedal is labeled Tone. The Tone control increased high frequencies when it was turned clockwise, the opposite of later models.

Juggernaut 1979-84

Juggernaut

Available as a custom order-only product, the Juggernaut was Pro Co's bass distortion pedal. Like the RAT, the Juggernaut was built in a 20 gauge wrap-around enclosure with a white silk-screened logo. In addition to the distortion circuit, the Juggernaut included an effects loop with a mix control to vary the amount of direct to effected signal being sent to the pedal's output.

The Rat (ver. 2) 1981-83

The Rat (ver. 2)

The main difference between this model and the earlier version is the switch from a Tone to the Filter control. The Filter cuts high frequencies as it is turned clockwise. The RAT logo was also switched from an all caps logo to one that was more stylized, while the "a" and "t" were now lower case.

Small Box RAT 1984-88

Small Box RAT

The switch to the "Small Box" RAT was essentially just a cosmetic makeover. While the circuit remained the same, the enclosure evolved into a more compact version, with a 12-gauge U-shaped base. The Pro Co logo sat next to the RAT logo on the pedal top, silk-screened in black inside of a white box. In 1986, the logo was reversed to white on the black, painted metal.

R2DU 1984-88

R2DU

During the rack effects boom of the 1980s, Pro Co introduced the R2DU, which was essentially two RAT circuits in a single rack space box. The two units could be used separately or cascaded together for a more powerful distortion. The R2DU included the RFS-2 dual footswitch for remote control of the unit.

RAT 2 1988-present

RAT 2

The RAT 2 signaled the next generation of RAT pedals. While the enclosure remained the same, the silk-screened logo gave way to a Lexan/Mylar overlay with glow-in-the-dark graphics. A red on/off LED was also added. In 2003, Pro Co converted the RAT 2 to a sloped enclosure, which had been used on the Turbo RAT since its introduction.

Turbo RAT 1989-present

Turbo RAT

Eleven years after the birth of the RAT, the Turbo RAT was the first product to expand upon the tonal base of the RAT design. Essentially the same circuit with different clipping diodes, the Turbo RAT provides a more aggressive tone. The Turbo RAT also introduced the now standard sloped face enclosure.

Vintage RAT 1991-2005

Vintage RAT

As the vintage instruments market surged, demand grew for a reissue of the "large box" RAT pedal. The Vintage RAT can easily be identified from an original in two ways. First, the Pro Co logo does not contain the "Sound Inc." text written down its right side. The reissue also features an easy access battery compartment on the pedal's bottom.

Brat 1997-2001

Brat

The Brat signaled Pro Co's entry into the economy priced effects pedal market. Still built in the USA, the BRAT featured a tone similar to its more expensive brothers, but was built with a less indestructible enclosure. The BRAT was adorned in a florescent purple and yellow color scheme. The "EQ" control was labeled Tone instead of Filter.

Deucetone RAT 2002-present

Deucetone RAT

As boutique pedal builders pushed effects prices higher and higher, Pro Co introduced the Deucetone RAT to compete in this market. The Deucetone RAT is the evolution of the R2DU, with two RAT circuits in one enclosure, but now in a pedal . Each RAT circuit is switchable between three RAT tones. The Deucetone introduced the Dirty RAT and Clean RAT settings to guitarists.

Juggernaut Bass RAT 2003-present

Juggernaut Bass RAT

In 2003, Pro Co decided it was time to reintroduce the Juggernaut bass distortion pedal. Along with an updated circuit, the new Juggernaut Bass RAT featured the same modern appointments as other RAT pedals. These included a sloped U-channel enclosure, Lexan/Mylar graphics overlay, and LED on/off indicators.

You Dirty RAT 2004-present

You Dirty RAT

Due to the popularity of the Dirty RAT setting in the Deucetone RAT, the You Dirty RAT brought that tone into a single channel pedal. Like the Turbo RAT, the You Dirty RAT shares much of the same circuitry with the original RAT, but with germanium clipping diodes.

• Members

Well thanks guys, the sites are very cool but still say little about the chips and stuff. However, they were helpful. Since they write the Small Box Rat has the same guts, I think, grayeyes777, you're right I need the Small Box Rat (no LED)

http://webpages.charter.net/daosmun/Small%20Box%20Rat.htm

Here are two, I'm sure they are genuine.

http://translate.google.com/translate?u=http%3A%2F%2Finjapan.ru%2FauctionDescription%2Fshow%2Fb78842325.html&langpair=ja%7Cen&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&prev=%2Flanguage_tools

http://translate.google.com/translate?u=http%3A%2F%2Finjapan.ru%2FauctionDescription%2Fshow%2F103261735.html&langpair=ja%7Cen&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&prev=%2Flanguage_tools

• 3 months later...
  • Members

I bought a Big Box Vintage Rat Reissue, the one with the LM308 chip and to be honest, I like how the vintage rat mode sounds in my DeuceTone Rat. The Vintage Rat RI is more transparent, but the DeuceTone is very tight and has more lows. Well, in general the Big Box Reissue and the Vintage Mod in the DeuceTone are so similar in character, that the listeners who took part in my test couldn't distinguish any nuances.

So what do you think, may be the Vintage Reissue in not my cup of t or I can search for a Vintage Original?

• 2 months later...

Archived