Huge pedal board owners...

Zachman

• Members
Isn't this a bit low? I have a small/medium rig and have spent the current equivalent of over $3000 on it. surely some people have $10k+ rigs here.

I wish I could redo the parameters of the poll, but I can't. I used to get a lot of {censored} from guys about expensive rack gear, so I figured If I went too high, some might think I was trying to initiate some trouble. :thu:

• Members

I also wouldn't use the term invested.

Ouch, you paid retail or actual street value... Bummer

I recommend using the approach of buying gear like an investment, because it can be done and should be, with the kind of numbers that we are seeing here. :idea:

• Members

Nah, The Groove King and Steve VHT has me beat by miles

That old Groove King post on guitargeek was sick.

Quick guess I'd say I probably have around $4,000 of stuff. Or at least, that's what I paid for it. I try to only buy things that I could sell for more money than I bought them for if I had to.

• Members

way over 5 g's if you include my studio stuff. my computer by itself is 3600. I have probably right at 5000 in guitar stuff tho (that i've spent... i try to get everything on the hookup). My 2200 music man i got for 11. my lonestar head i got for 925 new. i'm very cheap and a compulsive bargain shopper.

• Members

Used guitars:
Telecaster with strat neck upgraded pickups
BC Rich mockingbird natural upgraded pickups
Sheraton II upgraded pickups
Around $1200 total here

Amp:
Crate v3112T $525

Effects:
Fender tuner
dyna comp (3 knob)
EH small clone
MXR evh phase 90
crybaby wah
EH double muff
VS mr jekyll and dr hyde
Mr echo delay
guyatone microflanger
Gator power brick
lavacable cables
$650-700

So probably around $2000-2500

• Members

i've spent just a little over $5000 and i don't even consider myself even close to a "huge pedal board owner." every single item i've ever bought was used though and i could get every cent back if i wanted to, most likely. i only want more though

• Members

Some folks can have crazy amounts of cash tied up in guitars and amps.
I am very selective and usually sell a piece to upgrade when it comes to amps/effects.
As for guitars, I've been spoiled early on. I never had a lot of money or a rich family but I have been blessed with parents who believed in my aspirations from an early age. My first guitar was a cheapy. Once they knew I was serious I got my first real guitar (72 stratocaster).
I have a handful of vintage and higher end gear and keep the herd thin but I am still upward of about 15-20K replacement value...

• Members

6450 in pedalboard.
4890 in guitars.
3300 in amps.
=

Those numbers don't seem like they are placed where they should be, I would expect my guitars and amps to maybe be more. Oh well.

• Members
Ouch, you paid retail or actual street value... Bummer

I recommend using the approach of buying gear like an investment, because it can be done and should be, with the kind of numbers that we are seeing here.
:idea:

No I didn't, I just don't consider it an investment...maybe if I was going to make money but then Iwouldn't buy it if I think I'm going to sell it. :idea:

• Members
Here's a question, How many of you have got insurance if your gear doesn't fall under your home insurance?

+99999999999999 I do, and suggest that EVERYONE with gear that values in the $5000+ range have.

GREAT point!!! :thu:

• Members

No I didn't, I just don't consider it an investment...maybe if I was going to make money but then Iwouldn't buy it if I think I'm going to sell it.
:idea:

Hmmm, you should consider it an investment. Just think about the guys who bought a Fender Strat in the 50's, for a couple hundred bucks, and are now looking at values in the $50K+ range.

• Members

Hmmm, you should consider it an investment. Just think about the guys who bought a Fender Strat in the 50's, for a couple hundred bucks, and are now looking at values in the $50K+ range.

Depends though, either you get lucky, have a good eye for scouring the 2nd hand market or buy vintage gear that will go up in value (after a hefty investment in the first place - when you could spend the cash on "better" stuff) your gear isn't too likely to appreciate in value.

All the stuff I own is quite common so not likely to get more valuable, but it is the stuff I want. That matters more to me.

• Members

Depends though, either you get lucky, have a good eye for scouring the 2nd hand market or buy vintage gear that will go up in value (after a hefty investment in the first place - when you could spend the cash on "better" stuff) your gear isn't too likely to appreciate in value.

All the stuff I own is quite common so not likely to get more valuable, but it is the stuff I want. That matters more to me.

Understood, though I am not necessarily advocating the increase in value rather using smart shopping practices so as to minimize the reduction in value. A lot of guys go through a bunch of gear in the quest for the perfect this or that, and the potential loss of value, adds up pretty fast. So If they purchased a given pedal used for a good deal vs paying retail, the odds are in their favor that the "hit in value" has already been taken, and they are not so exposed, upon resale. Investment principal #1 But low, sell high.

That's all I was eluding to, mostly. ;)

Archived