EQ pedals. How and why do you use it?

denimboy

• Members

I'm trying to figure out if I need an EQ in my rig and how to use it (I mean how to use it in a way that its useful you know?). So far I don't know much about them. I think it can be useful with my JCM 900 since the EQ on the amp arent very effective.

Anyways. Let me know your opinion on these. thx

• Members

Ive got a pq-401 Ibanez parametric eq that I use almost all the time. There's a number of ways to use it, I usually have it set to dial in some clarity by boosting just a little treble, and set the mid to boost around 150-300hz to get some more fullness and thump out of my sound. An eq, especially a parametric one, can also give you a million new sounds when used after a dirt pedal by boosting a narrow frequency band. Just set it to boost the mids and sweep the mid control to something that sounds cool :thu:

• Members

I think a good EQ can be a very useful tool. I have a cheap Behringer EQ700 that I will replace someday, but it still gets the job done. I use it after all of my dirt pedals, to add some boost but also some of my pedals, especially the new MXR III is kind of midrangey, so with the EQ I set it to boost the bass and some treble, and scoop the mids some. Helps a lot. I am looking to get a MXR 10 band pedal next, which also has a gain and volume level to it. I also need a Eq because my little Epi Valve head has no tone controls, and this helps considerably.

• Members

Electric guitars

Again this depends on the mix and the recording. Apply either cut or boost around 300hz, depending on the song and sound. Try boosting around 3kHz to add some edge to the sound, or cut to add some transparency. Try boosting around 6kHz to add presence. Try boosting around 10kHz to add brightness.

100-250Hz ~ Adds body

250-800Hz ~ Muddiness area

1-6Khz ~ Cuts through the mix

6-8kHz ~ Adds clarity

8=12kHz ~ Adds hiss

http://www.sectionz.com/home_detail.asp?SZID=257

• Members

This sounds like it would be extremely useful in a recording situation. On the other hand, I would tend to think that with most tube powered electric guitar amplifiers being decidedly lo-fi an EQ pedal would be more suited to tailoring the tone of the natural or unnatural distortion of the amp and the effects leading up to it rather than defining the place in the mix of the band... that seems like something better left to a sound engineer with more powerful equipment. Although, I could see how you could achieve this in the effects loop of an amp with plenty of clean headroom in the power amp.

• Members
your amp's eq should be able to handle what an eq pedal does. If you need an eq pedal, maybe you should look into another amp. Don't get me wrong, eqing is important!
:cool:

??????????

I have a 67 Deluxe Reverb with a treble and a bass control. How can that do what a 10 band eq pedal does?

• Members
??????????

I have a 67 Deluxe Reverb with a treble and a bass control. How can that do what a 10 band eq pedal does?

it might be crazy, but maybe you don't really like the way your DR sounds?
i'm just playing devil's advocate. I think eq is important, very important in fact. But if you must use an eq to augment your pedals or amp, then maybe that means you dont like them?. Some people use eq for other things like, boosting for solos or cutting through, but they don't have it on all the time. If you have it on all the time, then you have to wonder ;)

• Members
your amp's eq should be able to handle what an eq pedal does. If you need an eq pedal, maybe you should look into another amp. Don't get me wrong, eqing is important!
:cool:

you couldn't be more wrong. i use different EQ's on many many songs. i have a vintage fender twin verb(nothing wrong with my amp). i would never run up to amp every song to change my EQ......... besides a good chunk of the time people use EQ for one section in a song etc :rolleyes:

• Members

I use a Boss EQ-7 as a mid-boost for solos only. I really like the tone I get from my Peavey C30 clean and with a TS-9. I don't need any extra eq except for to punch my solos through. I find I get a pretty wide range of tones just by flipping my pickup selector switch to a different position. I think everything starts with finding the right amp for you so you have to use as little eq as possible, but you may still find you need to use a little anyway. I think the thing with eq is that a little is usually better than a lot.

• Members
billy gibbons of zztop has every piece of gear imaginable, even a 59 les paul and the first piece of gear he hits out of his guitar is a 31 band eq.

sound shaping, plain and simple

Knowing how to use the {censored} helps too... is it any wonder why the man has legendary tone? I have a whole bunch of effects that I run before the preamp, and my EQ is dead last in the chain. One thing it does very well is to tame things like noise and hiss. :thu:

• Members
I'll have a look into an MXR 6 band or 10 band.

Thanks.
:thu:

I have the mxr 6 band eq, and it's perfect, but eventualy I will "upgrade" to the 10 band if my board allows me...I find it best to put my eq after my dirt for tone shaping and boosting.

• Members

^^hmm...thats a good point...very few people think of it that way.

I use a Boss GE-7 to tame my Boss BD-2. works damn well i must say.

people keep suggesting the MXR eqs...how are they in comparison to the Boss eq?

• Members

I use my EQ (Boss GE-7 with Sniper Mod) in a loop with my POG. I set the POG up to produce a sub octave and 2 octaves above the original pitch. The EQ has to be on after this to improve the sound I get out of the POG. Basically, the EQ is set up with a slight boost in the two lowest sliders, a slight boost in the 2 highest sliders, and an extreme cut in the middle three. This gets the POG to produce a very clear bass note doubled by a very clear note 3 octaves higher. I freaking love that sound. Before I tried to EQ it, I liked it, but after experimenting and finding this arrangement, it's a real go-to sound for performing.

I use the looper in order to turn on and off both the POG and the EQ at the same time.

• Members

people keep suggesting the MXR eqs...how are they in comparison to the Boss eq?

My old Ross 10 band EQ (probably a copy of the MXR 10 band) is a hell of a lot quieter than a Boss GE-7 and even the GE-10. Can't be switched on or off though.

Archived