oT: super smash bros. melee - any players here? tips to offer me?

hangwire

• Members

So ... our friends are sick of me beating them in Super Street Fighter 2, so they chose to have the gamecube game Super Smash Bros. Melee as the next "up North video game time waster/tournament"

I got a copy and right now I am frustrated because it seems just like button mashing, and I end up jumping off or not being able to recover in air to stop from dieing. I have mainly used Samus because of the Screw Attack... and I wanted to know of any tips for teh game or even a suggestion for a better characters for me to use ... in Street Fighter II am deadly with Chun Li or E. Honda if that helps at all...

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

i tend to pick up just about every weapon i can get to and if its something crappy i just throw it at them instead of attacking with it. certain ones you should hold on to though are the light saber, baseball bat and that wand thingy.

• Members

I didn't ever get around to playing the gc version, but I've played the n64 one, and I've heard its essentially the same game. I'm pretty deadly with Kirby, but that's because he can fly, so I can basically stay alive for much longer then other people.

Get some weapons, they usually help. I think it's the sledge hammer that basiclaly knocks them off the stage permeantly no matter what their % level.

Also, if you use the control stick in a certain direction, it'll perform a different move, but yeah, it's basically button mashing.

• Members

It's like the only game my friends I play. I've had it for years and just recently got around to getting it 100% complete.

Fun game, get good with yoshi he's the character I use and if you get good with him you pwn.

• Members

Hope they hurry and put this on the VC for the wii
:thu:

no, they have a new version for the Wii coming out in December according to what I heard.

so do any character have a "e. honda hundred hand slap" type move? Maybe Samus is not the best for me...

• Members

It's been too long since I played Street Fighter II, so I don't really remember all the moves. Of course, it's been a while since I've played super smash bros, too. IIRC, all the characters have those moves where they can hit an opponent multiple times. I know Samus can do it a lot with the screw attack. That probably doesn't help you out, though. Just play the game with difficulty cranked all the way up, and you'll get good at it (Or frustrated).

• Members

if ya ever get the 64 version, you and your friends need to look me up. me and my bro can take on any two people in the world at that game, i'm so confident, i'll bet my gibson flying v on it. take the challenge....if you dare!!!!

I would take that challenge, but I don't have a partner, lol. It's weird going back to the 64 version eh? It's so slow compared to the fast past manner of melee.

• Members

I'm pretty devilish with Marth - he can do a range of 4 hit combo attacks with the stick and b button (eg FB UB UB DB). Ice Climbers are also good - since they're two they do double damage. To charge your attack press the control stick in the desired direction and A at the same time - you'll glow gold if you did it right. You can hold it for about 2 seconds max - the longer you hold that strong the attack will be, but holding exposes you to attack of course. A good cheat is to get a pokemon if you see one - a lot of those buggers will almost instantly KO a character with more than 50% damage.

• 1 month later...
  • Members

Playing my roommate four hours a day for six months made me pretty deadly at it. The absolute best advice? USE THE SHIELD!!!! Most players forget it's even there, but it's totally crucial. There are plenty of times where you screw up and more or less guarantee you're going to get nailed. Oh, and figure out the timing of your attacks, so when you're using the shield and gettin wailed on, you know which moments you can retaliate and actually get a shot in.

Practice practice practice practice........

BTW; saying you're good with X character in street fighter two and asking who you'd be good with in smash bros doesn't even make any sense. Totally different games.

• Members

no, they have a new version for the Wii coming out in December according to what I heard.

Super Smash Bros. Brawl!

Looks like that will be an excellent successor to the GC version.

Even Snake from Metal Gear Solid is in it. :freak:

Also it is very likely you can play against other players online.

That would make this game a very huge and long lasting hit. :phil:

• Members

i have a tip, sell that garbage, buy yourself a 64 and get the real deal. {censored} melee

I prefer melee; not so much for it's enhanced graphics but the gameplay is a lot more fast passed. I remember going back and playing the old 64 version at my buddies house and the first thing I said was "Geez....this is slow"

• Members

I started playing as Link on the 64, but then I started practicing with Fox and jesus... he is so fast. I would lose occassionally as Link, but I never lose with Fox (making him the only character I use on the cube). The only trick is to get really good at dodging and blocking, he recovers and attacks so fast that you can pop most any character in the game before they react to you. He's not very strong, but once you get good with dodging and knowing when it's time to run you rarely get hit, then it's all about landing the ^ smash at the right time, it knocks people out the top of the screen with ease!

• Members

There is only one thing that I think would be cooler than playing as Jesus, and that is playing as the dog from Duck Hunt. There were all sorts of rumors flying around the release of Melee that this was going to happen (the dog, not Jesus), but unfortunately, the rumors were not true :cry:

Archived