Looking For Reverb

shadowshocker

• Members

I'm looking at maybe getting a reverb pedal next. I have been looking at the Holy Grail, Holier Grail, and Holiest Grail, but besides the Holier Grail having more settings, and the Holiest having more customization, is there differences that really set all of these apart by a huge difference? And are there any other better recommendations for better reverb pedals. I'm looking to get a really heavy reverb to set my guitar way off in the distance.

Also, is there a pedal that can fade in reverb? I'm trying to get a sound like the tape delay sound on my DD-20, but it would be cool if I could have that same fading space echo sound, but actually have it fade what I'm playing, not just echo it...So it gradually becomes further and further away, while I can still play.

Thanks,

-Zack

• Members

Many here (including myself) will recommend the Line 6 Verbzilla as far as reverb goes. Several good quality, highly useful and musical reverb algorithms to choose from in one pedal. I was considering one of the same three you were considering, but after trying out the Verbzilla, I went with it instead.

For your second question about fading, Morley has a pedal out now that allows you to use the pedal to fade in the amount of any effect that it is chained to:

http://www.morleypedals.com/dfxb.html

Basically, you plug your guitar into the input, and the output to your amp. The pedal has an effect loop to allow you to connect one or more effect pedals. You can then use the pedal to adjust the ratio of "dry" to "wet" signal into your sound. I haven't tried one myself, but it seems logical that you could run a reverb pedal in the loop and then slowly fade in/out the reverb effect as you described.

• Members

The Holiest is a completely different animal to the Holy. I believe they have entirely different reverb algorithms. It also has much greater control, not least control over the decay and tone of the reverb. The Holier only has a choice of short or long and the Holy no control at all. The Holiest also has presets, so you can ave 8 of your favourite settings for instant recall. Pricey, but it's my favourite pedal.

• Members

After I played with a Holy Grail and a Verbzilaa, I took the Verbzilla and it has not giving me any trouble. Some say it is a noisy pedal, has something to do with the power supply, I power mine with the PP2 and don't have added noise.

And it has more reverb flavours that the Holy Grail, it just doesn't have anything that compared to the Flerb setting on the Holy Grail

• Members

I'm getting a Verbzilla next. I already have a tonecore pedal so I'm just going to buy the module. Should be fun. There's definitely something weird about Line6 stuff, it sounds processed, not in a bad way, but you kind of have to change the way you approach their effects because they seem to do their own thing and not interact with you as much.

• Members

only thing i dont like about the verbzilla is the volume setting. i tried to use it as an actuall reverb the other day instead of the ambient side i usually use it for and i couldnt get it to chime in like my amp reverb. I think it colors your tone too alot but its a great pedal for the different options in it, but i wish a pedal like the holy grail would offer some of the verbzilla sound options then i would buy it.

• Members

Doesn't sound all that great to me:

http://www.gearwire.com/media/electro-harmonix-holy-grail-plus.mov

:o

(Compared to just the regular Holy Grail..
http://youtube.com/watch?v=sfuwaYxG3cU
)

Gearwire videos as a rule don't sound good. And using a directional mic and trying to capture the guy talking, and an amp at the same time is fruitless. You hear the acoustics of the electric guitar more than anything. But yeah, I prefer a reverb pedal with a lot of options copared to the EHX stuff.

• Members

I closely compared the Boss RV-5 and the Verbzilla both at GC then finally brought both home. I didn't consider the EHX Grail because I wanted stereo in and out at the point in my signal chain the reverb pedal would be placed.

Both sounded good. To me, the Boss had a bit more high end sizzle and a bit more digital sheen. This meant it cut through better in Guitar Center, but sounded wrong at home on my amp. The Verbzilla sounded more natural - far less (to no) coloration of the tone. A few more options on the Verbzilla too. I ended up keeping the Verbzilla and returning the Boss.

Ian

Archived