iPod FM transmitters - Do they work?

Meriphew

• Members

Anyone using an FM transmitter in their car for an iPod? Good or bad results? What are the good ones out there (if any)? Thx.

I've actually designed a few. One you will be able to get a Best Buy soon, I think they sell the other in Target.

Anyway, they can be really nice or problematic. The FCC regulates the amount of output power you can transmit that is near or below the noise floor in large cities like Los Angeles. If you live in a somewhat rural area where you have a gap of 2 - 3 channels with no stations, they work really well (some do anyway). Be wary of the ones that plug into the car charger, not all of them do a very good job of filtering engine noise!

If you can find an old DLO transpod, the really square looking one, maybe 2-3 years old, get it. It transmits hotter than anything out there and they quit making it because of that. But it will overpower anything out there.

• Members

My friend uses one. Works better than a tape thingy.

Wrong... line out (or headphone out in the case of a tape adapter) sounds a hell of a lot better...

in a heavily populated area you're going to get interference, here in vancouver every point on the dial has some sort of station coming through or barely coming through (the fm transmitter almost seems to boost stations that seem to be just static with a little bit of background noise for some reason)... With my antennae down it does come through clearer, but my ipod pretty much has to sit right below my deck... and any really high end or S sounds crackle...

if I had a line in on my deck I would use that instead, but I'll have to put up with the transmitter until I have the cash to get an ipod ready deck/cradle... If you DO have the option for line or tape in, use that instead...

• Members

I've got the iTrip. It's not very good at all, so I gave up on it and bought an Alpine head unit which is great... You could do it cheaper by getting a head unit that has a standard aux in, and use a cable - either solution is better than FM transmitters IMO.

• Members

Scosche FM transmitter! You can find it in Walmart, but you won't find it in the stereo/cd/dvd section. You have to search for it in the car accesories dept.

I have tried a few of the more expensive ones in the market, and so far this is the best. If you can find the white one, people rave that it's better. I use the black one since that's all I find. Around $20, it's best IMO.

I found out about this in the iPod forum.

FMTRNS01.jpg

Only thing is that you can't charge your iPod while in use.

• Members

+1 about replacing the stereo. I found a Sony on sale that has an AUX in (and a dedicated iPod adapter), and it is VASTLY superior in the sound department. It isn't really that hard to do, or you could have it done most any car stereo shop.

Remember the BEST an FM transmitter can sound like is an FM station.

Archived