Multi FX or pedals?

boyad

• Members

Im thinking of getting some pedals or a multi fx, but I really dont know which one... :confused:

I have a Vox Ad50 which has some effects and the different types of amps to choose, but... I like using mostly the delay, reverb, wah wah, overdrive/distortion. Maybe I would like to buy a booster latter...

I heard the Digitech RPs have presets better for heavy rock (correct me if I am wrong)... the zoom G2 has bad effects, and not all of the analog pedals have true bypass and it would cost much more.

I play classic rock, indie rock, britpop, and alternative.

• Members

I've played some of the newer Digitech RP multifx pedals and do not like the lack of dynamics. When I intentionally pick lighter, it seems as though there's a noise gate on it(even when bypassed) that chokes the notes. Give me good individual pedals anyday

• Members

I've said pedals (of course) but it really does depend on what your needs are and in what situation your gear is used in. If you go the pedal route, I would buy 'used' until you start to find what pedals you actually want/need, that way you can try as many as you like and usually get your money back (or close to) so it doesn't become costly buying things and deciding they aren't for you a month later, treat it as a hobby it's a lot of fun, there are many bargains to be found on ebay. buy a couple, if they don't work out sell them on and try something else. The main problem I've always had with multi fx is you'll find one with a great chorus, but rubbish distortion or the other way round...or something like that, with single pedals you can mix and match to find your ideal sounds.......

multi effects are fun and have thier place, but it always seems a compromise to me.

• Members

I also said pedals, but I wanted to mention that I recently had one of the new Boss ME-20s for a week, and I highly recommend it. It will cover you for 90% of the sounds your looking for, and it's only $200. I think it's the best cheap multi I've tried. Plus, it can run on batteries, is small, and built like, well, like any other Boss product ('like a tank'). If pedals are too expensive for you, and your just looking for effects with none of that modeling bull{censored}, the ME-20 rocks.

• Members
I don't see the point of buying boost pedals to put in front of a moddeling amp...

I use tube amps and a Vox AD and the Vox takes boosts (and distortions) surprisingly well. The lower gain Vox and Fender models (which are excellent) work great w/ boosts which is a good thing because the higher gain models are very lackluster/unuseable for me.

• Members

I use tube amps and a Vox AD and the Vox takes boosts (and distortions) surprisingly well. The lower gain Vox and Fender models (which are excellent) work great w/ boosts which is a good thing because the higher gain models are very lackluster/unuseable for me.

does the Vox AD work well with most of the pedals?

• Members

I use a Korg AX5G on my board right now. I have it front of all my other pedals and it's surprisingly quiet. I tried it once before in between some other pedals and it was real noisy but it's as quiet as anything else now.

I only use it for modulation and reverb. It's kinda cool because you can set the exp. pedal to edit pretty much any parameter you can think of. For example, you can do wild pitch bending with the analog delay, change the pitch of the ring mod, or the speed of the vibrato.

• Members

bad news my friend. you are going to need both. my old boss gt3 is a stalwart chum for aural diversity, but the tone isn't the best. sometimes you just need to go analog. i've slowly reaccumulated a floor full of pedals and the hunt goes on. whatever you do get true bypass if you love the sound and feel of your rig. and good luck on the tone quest that never ends. :~)

Archived