Transformerless tube amps! WOW!!!

Destructobot

• Members
Ever play a gig down town, and have to park 5 blocks away... then haul your fender twin all the way to the venue.... weight is exactly the appeal... and well cost... althogh that is not proving true on this price tag.

i'm primarily a drummer, so I always have to laugh when guitarists bitch about carrying gear. :)

• Members
Ever play a gig down town, and have to park 5 blocks away... then haul your fender twin all the way to the venue.... weight is exactly the appeal... and well cost... althogh that is not proving true on this price tag.

i know i sound rude, but this otl (output transformer less stuff) is complete bull{censored}.
brian have you looked at the pictures? i don't get it.
a normal tube amp has two transformers, a power transformer and an output one.
those otl amps in the pictures have at least 3 transformers in them.
"the beast" and the other kit have 3 ring core transformer mounted on them.
the single ended kit has two ringcore and two normal transformers on it.
yes ringcore are normal smaller and have less weight, but having 3 or 4 transformers on them is not what i call in any way transformer less and you're not losing weight in any sense.
and then cause of the design having so much tubes in them does not make them very reliable, and if those have to be matched, have fun changing tubes if one is broke.

that said, considering weight, they sure no alternative to your twin, you will need to look in into a smaller (less watt) tube amp anyhow :)

• Members
i know i sound rude, but this otl (output transformer less stuff) is complete bull{censored}.

brian have you looked at the pictures? i don't get it.

a normal tube amp has two transformers, a power transformer and an output one.

those otl amps in the pictures have at least 3 transformers in them.

"the beast" and the other kit have 3 ring core transformer mounted on them.

the single ended kit has two ringcore and two normal transformers on it.

yes ringcore are normal smaller and have less weight, but having 3 or 4 transformers on them is not what i call in any way transformer less and you're not losing weight in any sense.

and then cause of the design having so much tubes in them does not make them very reliable, and if those have to be matched, have fun changing tubes if one is broke.

that said, considering weight, they sure no alternative to your twin, you will need to look in into a smaller (less watt) tube amp anyhow
:)

I am kind of guessing (hoping anyways) that the guy is using a power transformer, and just using the term "tranformerless" to say there is no OT.

Anyways, as far as amps go, I've found over the years, that all my favorite amps are 6L6 based class AB amps with 2 12 inch speakers.

The amp i used to actually gig with was a peavey Ranger 212. Made back before they started making everything in china. it was heavy, and it wouldn't die, and most of all it worked really well in both bands i used it with tonewise.

it actually weighed a bit more than a twin.

Archived