Are there any good filter pedals?

hugbot

• Members

Exactly
"like" a wah that you just leave on, actually.

All a wah is, is a manually sweepable filter. If you leave your foot off of it, it's a fixed filter. That's why I don't miss not having a "fixed" setting on the mu-tron. I have a wah pedal if I want that kind of sound.

Yeah, thats what I meant. I have a wah but thats pretty much the only thing I use it for these days.

• Members

what is a stuck filter?

Another way of saying stuck wah, as in the treadle of the wah (a BP filter) has become stuck (or purposefully not rocked) leaving your tone "filtered" without any of the sweep you associate with wah use. The Money for Nothing riff is a classic example of the effect.

Also, the Chunk Systems Agent00 Funk is meant to be a pretty damn nice filter.

• Members
I've been messing around with my pedals recently, and I've realised that what I really want is some kind of filter pedal.

The Frostwave Resonator is a true analog Filter with High and Low pass filtering. It's based on the analog filter used in the Korg MS-20 synth. It has Level, Balance, HP Freq, LP Freq, LP and HP Resonance controls. Optional CV control inputs for Freq and Resonance. It can do all kinds of Filtering and Drones.

res2.gif

This is a Store not the manufacture
Info:
www.frostwave.com

• Members

The is
no
software that will do what a MuRF does. The analog envelope is about the smoothest there is.

I know you like pimping Moog, but you're kinda wrong with that one sentence. I can get very close to what the MuRF does by using layered VSTs... that's the nice thing about software, if you have the right stuff you can build just about any effect by combining different components like LFO's, modulators, etc, kinda like how a real analog synth works. No, it's not truly "analog", but the difference in sound is far less noticeable than the difference in cost.

• Members
can't go wrong with a Q-Tron, circuit design was by Ed Beigel, who also designed the Mutron III

Isn't it Mike Beigel?:confused:

Either way, yeah, the Q-tron has the pedigree, for sure. I've been meaning to try one myself. The micro Q sounds pretty good, but I figure the big one probably has more going on. Aside from just the "wah" effect, the Mu-tron has something else going on...About the only way I know to describe it is "auditory lsd residuals". I've found the "wah" effect in other pedals, but those weird little things that happen are more elusive, apparently.

Beigel is very much against the "Mu-tron+" "reissues", though. I've not tried one, but he doesn't have anything good to say about them, so I wouldn't get one. It may have something to do with trade dress, screwing him out of rights (It looks almost just like the orig.), or something to that effect, but either way, they seem like bad mojo, somehow.

• Members

Were you meaning an amp's f/x loop? I don't have one of those on any of my amps, actually...

I'll probably wind up sending the Mu-tron to have it tb's/calibrated (which I imagine would address any volume matching issues) by the Beigel approved place on the net that I can't remember the name of right now. It's an incredible pedal, but the only times I hook it up are when I'm messing with it specifically.

Because of the sheer amount of pedals for a small loop switch system, is what I meant. In order to accommodate a bunch of pedals like you have, a substantial switching system would be required, for max efficiency, not just a small 4 loop for example.

BTW a Load box is what I would seriously recommend you check out, if you ever run a W/D type of a configuration.

• Members

Oh...right on. The few pedals I'm running right now are all TB (except the tuner, which I'm running w/ an a/b box, so it's out of the chain), and there's not enough of them so far to create any significant audible loading. I'm sure there's a little, but not enough to annoy me.

I figure if it gets to the point where I do hear a difference, I'll start thinking aobut a buffer (is that what a Load Box is, somehow?) or something to compensate. At the moment, I'm still getting a good, bright signal to my amp, though.

I could probably get away with a single looper, JUST for the Mu-tron, and not change the straight signal, too much, but, then there's the volume matching issues that it may or may not have. It would be a wierd coincidence if it wound up being matched, though, I'd think. I can get by without it, live...I'd have to get a different board to accomodate it, anyway. The power supply to that thing is bigger than a lot of pedals...

• Members

Oh...right on. The few pedals I'm running right now are all TB (except the tuner, which I'm running w/ an a/b box, so it's out of the chain), and there's not enough of them so far to create any significant audible loading. I'm sure there's a little, but not enough to annoy me.

I figure if it gets to the point where I do hear a difference, I'll start thinking aobut a buffer (is that what a Load Box is, somehow?) or something to compensate. At the moment, I'm still getting a good, bright signal to my amp, though.

I could probably get away with a single looper, JUST for the Mu-tron, and not change the straight signal, too much, but, then there's the volume matching issues that it may or may not have. It would be a wierd coincidence if it wound up being matched, though, I'd think. I can get by without it, live...I'd have to get a different board to accomodate it, anyway. The power supply to that thing is bigger than a lot of pedals...

No the load box is REALLY cool though. check it out:

lineout.jpg

• Members

If you want the mutron sound, get an EH q-tron plus. Its honestly a better pedal than the mutron. Same envelope filter sound, but with true bypass and an effects loop, and is cheaper and easier to find. Yes, I have tried both.

If you want envelope filters, sample and hold effect and a bunch of other filter sounds in a pedal form but don't want the expense of the individual pedals the line 6 filter modeller is decent and not too expensive, though I found some of the sounds to be a bit on the bright side.

• Members

If you want the mutron sound, get an EH q-tron plus. Its honestly a better pedal than the mutron. Same envelope filter sound, but with true bypass and an effects loop, and is cheaper and easier to find. Yes, I have tried both.

If you want envelope filters, sample and hold effect and a bunch of other filter sounds in a pedal form but don't want the expense of the individual pedals the line 6 filter modeller is decent and not too expensive, though I found some of the sounds to be a bit on the bright side.

So, does the full sized Q-tron+ sound significantly different than the XO version, I take it?

Did you try both it and the Mu-tron through the same amp/with the same guitar? From my (admittedly limited) experience w/ the Q, it didn't sound the same...I've not messed with one much, though. I'd like to sub something else in the mu-tron's place, but the micro q, while it sounded good, wasn't quite there. The full sized q is just as big or bigger than the Mu-tron, though, so I'm not sure there'd be a point....

Archived