The Dedicated Looper Lounge for the Guitarist

SUPER VELCROBOY

• Members

cool, i'd like to keep the thread going for a long time. It seems that looper technology with just get better and better.

I've updated the looper comparison chart a bit, but still very much a work in progress. Now you can click on the link to get a detailed photo of each looper. I have also place links to download the manual. Cool huh?

Check it out! :)

Great thread,I just bought an RC50 and compared to other looper/recorders this thing is very user friendly,drum machine is great,and 3 phrases per loop is nice.

powerlord, can you please review the RC-50 for us. I need specifics of what it can and can't do s i can add the info to my comparison chart.

BTW, I don't think there is a limit on the tempo change on the SMMH, I think that is just for pitch shifting. I think the tempo can go as fast or slow as you can tap.

Also, the tempo change category needs to be more specific. Some you can tap out a new tempo, others you have to bend over and manually change it.

Also the 2880 isn't on that list.

According to the SMMH manual, it says you can go to 1/2 of the original speed to 2x the speed. For shifting, 1 octave down and 1 octave up. Can anyone confirm this?

I don't know anything about the 2880. Wanna help? :)

no Electrix Repeater or Looperlative on your list?

lemme know if you need info on those...

__

if you can help, that would be great. I thought the electrix repeater never got released :confused:

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Sorry it took me awhile to respond!

It all depends what you want a looper to do really. If I had the akai, which such a short loop (compared to many others) I wouldn't want to go with the dl4. However, the dl4 does some really cool features. I use its reverse, double time, etc features a lot. the good thing is, you can dial in a delay prior to your loop. It would be a good thing to add in chain BEFORE the akai, to loop delays before your akai.

My preference would be a jamman or rc20xl. Just because it gives you minutes/hours of recording time, and to me thats very handy - for tons of reasons.

I'm actually a little frustrated right now that I sold my rc-50 because it has stereo in's and outs...and I was getting ready to hook my entire board up through stereo...in which this is the ONLY looper of its sort that can do that. RATS!

Sorry, a little of subject. But yes, I hope something I said helps, let me know if you wanna talk loopers a little more, or you wanna discuss a little more of what direction you plan on going or how you plan on using it.

To be honest My Akai e2 is more then enough looping time. I was looking to get my texture rather then longer looping time. So I thought the dl4 might fit the bill because of it's half-speed and reverse looping.

Any other suggestions to make more textural soundscapes?

EJ

• Members

To be honest My Akai e2 is more then enough looping time. I was looking to get my texture rather then longer looping time. So I thought the dl4 might fit the bill because of it's half-speed and reverse looping.

Any other suggestions to make more textural soundscapes?

EJ

ej,

if you mean texture as modulation, the 16 sec delay and smmh may suit your needs. The 16 sec, which I've used is, has oh how should i put it? -- awesome loop modulation...! :thu:

• Members

I have an original Lexicon JamMan rackmount unit and a Boss DD20 that I have fun with.

So far I haven't seen any mention of the ultimate looping site:

www.loopersdelight.com

Definitely worth checking out.

that's a good site for sure, although it doesn't update nearly as it should. Would you like to give a Lexicon Jamman review so i can add it to the comparison chart?

• Members

cool, i'd like to keep the thread going for a long time. It seems that looper technology with just get better and better.

I've updated the looper comparison chart a bit, but still very much a work in progress. Now you can click on the link to get a detailed photo of each looper. I have also place links to download the manual. Cool huh?

Check it out!
:)

powerlord, can you please review the RC-50 for us. I need specifics of what it can and can't do s i can add the info to my comparison chart.

According to the SMMH manual, it says you can go to 1/2 of the original speed to 2x the speed. For shifting, 1 octave down and 1 octave up. Can anyone confirm this?

I don't know anything about the 2880. Wanna help?

if you can help, that would be great. I thought the electrix repeater never got released
:confused:

I can give a review but it might be considered biased,if you read the reviews for it on HC there was a problem with the earlier models not being able to sequence out board audio devices and a glitch in the stopping and starting of loops at an exact time,I Haven't had a problem with this on mine yet,so far it works seemless and the audio quality is excellent,best I've heard on playback with all the loopers I've tried,which has been 4 to date.The ease of setup and use is a sign that Boss gave great consideration to the beginner and the guy who uses it live,it's almost too easy.The only addition I could see to it would be a compact flash card slot so that you could transfer files by reader when you aren't able to connect with USB.The Rhythm loops that you can add, sound very realistic and not digital like alot of effects processors,I was surprised by this,the first 5 built in rhythm tracks to play along with are CD quality,you can overdub on 4 and 5 only and it's one loop on 4 and two on 5.When you fill a loop with all 3 phrases it is there for good until you clear it with the stop pedal or clear button,the undo will not delete the loop with all 3 phrases added.I purchased an FS-5U pedal for patch tempo and undo,you'll need four of these for complete control,or you can buy 2 FS-6 pedals,which is cool not only to preserve the the RC-50 cosmetically,also you'll hardly ever have to touch it with fingers again.I won't mention connections because they are in the comparison charts on the opener thread.One of the highlights on this unit is the ability to set each phrase level and pan- independetly.Also there is a setting to start playback immediatley or phase in which a few were having problems with,I haven't had one yet.I haven't purchased my midi yet but I will add more after I do next week.One other thing I would add is that the display is a very nice quality compared to others,the color is nice and the scrolling is precision.You will need to convert the WAV. files over to mp3 in most cases when adding files to sites such as soundclick,or myspace.Very easy download.And don't forget the fact you can send and recieve files on this unit.If you have more to add,feel free,I probably don't utilize mine to the fullest extant like some of you gear heads,hope it helps a little in your choice though.

• Members

ej,

if you mean texture as modulation, the 16 sec delay and smmh may suit your needs. The 16 sec, which I've used is, has oh how should i put it? -- awesome loop modulation...!
:thu:

See that (ehx 16second delay RI) was going to my FIRST looper, but when it came out there were to many problems: Count in, extra footswitch to make it more usable, price of pedal AND footswitch, time sent to get it modded, price.

As for texture: modulation is part of it, but I want to attempt tricks like Dave Knudson does with his dl4(s).

Would you mind explaining the 16second delay in a little more detail as for as usefulness?

Also, I hear that the looping for the Stereo Memory Man with Hazari is... as they put it, "the sucks". I know that is a great for how useful it is when it comes to versitility, but the looping was rather mild in both functionality and ease of use.

EJ

• Members

See that (ehx 16second delay RI) was going to my FIRST looper, but when it came out there were to many problems: Count in, extra footswitch to make it more usable, price of pedal AND footswitch, time sent to get it modded, price.

As for texture: modulation is part of it, but I want to attempt tricks like Dave Knudson does with his dl4(s).

Would you mind explaining the 16second delay in a little more detail as for as usefulness?

Also, I hear that the looping for the Stereo Memory Man with Hazari is... as they put it, "the sucks". I know that is a great for how useful it is when it comes to versitility, but the looping was rather mild in both functionality and ease of use.

EJ

texture? dave mainly loops short samples in minus the bear... he prerecords tiny little blips and bleeps... odd guitar noises, and he uses the "one shot" trigger on the dl 4 to tap them in to sample them... not really what i'd call textures... more just sampling.

and I don't think the SMMWH would be "the sucks"... just different. it does some pretty cool things others don't. more of a stop playing guitar and bend down and play the pedal kind of thing though...

• Members

EJ

i only recommended the 16 sec because you mentioned texture which i interpreted as modulation. The 16 sec has very good modulation, which can sweep the loop (thing flange/chorus/vibe) to give it a lofi, organic feel. It reminds me of the demo for the lofi loop junky from the zvex Web site. Even though it is such a cool feature, if i had known better, I'd not have bought it. It is too limited as a looper and expensive for what it does. I am using the boss RC-2 and I'm pretty happy.

i don't have experience with the hazarai. Doesn't seem good on paper either.

• Members

I can give a review but it might be considered biased,if you read the reviews for it on HC there was a problem with the earlier models not being able to sequence out board audio devices and a glitch in the stopping and starting of loops at an exact time,I Haven't had a problem with this on mine yet,so far it works seemless and the audio quality is excellent,best I've heard on playback with all the loopers I've tried,which has been 4 to date.The ease of setup and use is a sign that Boss gave great consideration to the beginner and the guy who uses it live,it's almost too easy.The only addition I could see to it would be a compact flash card slot so that you could transfer files by reader when you aren't able to connect with USB.The Rhythm loops that you can add, sound very realistic and not digital like alot of effects processors,I was surprised by this,the first 5 built in rhythm tracks to play along with are CD quality,you can overdub on 4 and 5 only and it's one loop on 4 and two on 5.When you fill a loop with all 3 phrases it is there for good until you clear it with the stop pedal or clear button,the undo will not delete the loop with all 3 phrases added.I purchased an FS-5U pedal for patch tempo and undo,you'll need four of these for complete control,or you can buy 2 FS-6 pedals,which is cool not only to preserve the the RC-50 cosmetically,also you'll hardly ever have to touch it with fingers again.I won't mention connections because they are in the comparison charts on the opener thread.One of the highlights on this unit is the ability to set each phrase level and pan- independetly.Also there is a setting to start playback immediatley or phase in which a few were having problems with,I haven't had one yet.I haven't purchased my midi yet but I will add more after I do next week.One other thing I would add is that the display is a very nice quality compared to others,the color is nice and the scrolling is precision.You will need to convert the WAV. files over to mp3 in most cases when adding files to sites such as soundclick,or myspace.Very easy download.And don't forget the fact you can send and recieve files on this unit.If you have more to add,feel free,I probably don't utilize mine to the fullest extant like some of you gear heads,hope it helps a little in your choice though.

the rc-50 looks awesome on paper. It has everything except for loop modulation and the small footprint. It would seem like it would put the echoplex to shame. Then again i dont have experience with either of them.

• Members

the rc-50 looks awesome on paper. It has everything except for loop modulation and the small footprint. It would seem like it would put the echoplex to shame. Then again i dont have experience with either of them.

I have run into the glitch,there is a patch download for the fix on the Roland site for starting and stopping.Also it is true that if you change the tempo of a phrase even one click either way it comes out distorted,this happens also when you are in mono mode and aren't using loop sync.The only other problem with it right now is trying to figure out how to import the drum loops from the disc to the RC-50,I've followed the manual,but it's not taking the data.I'm going to try putting the files in my documents and then dragging them to the RC-50.:freak:

• Members

How's the rc-2/rc-20xl in regards to sound quality? I remember reading somewhere that one or the other added a bit of gain to the signal and "colored" the tone quite a bit. Someone had even mentioned it rendered the guitar's tone control useless... is this true?

• Members

How's the rc-2/rc-20xl in regards to sound quality? I remember reading somewhere that one or the other added a bit of gain to the signal and "colored" the tone quite a bit. Someone had even mentioned it rendered the guitar's tone control useless... is this true?

As far as the 20xl goes I got every sound I put into it right back,I heard no added gain when playing clean,it sounded exactly like I played it and changing the amps tone control= rubbish.These loopers have their downfalls but sound Q isn't one of them.

• Members

All my clips are straight from the 20xl or the RC-50 right into the PC.I don't hear the compromise in SQ.

Glad someone else agrees with me. I get nothing but compliments on my tone. Now...I would have to agree with all the people who said the whammy sucked tone...when I bypassed it, I noticed one hell of a difference.

• Members

I have run into the glitch,there is a patch download for the fix on the Roland site for starting and stopping.Also it is true that if you change the tempo of a phrase even one click either way it comes out distorted,this happens also when you are in mono mode and aren't using loop sync.The only other problem with it right now is trying to figure out how to import the drum loops from the disc to the RC-50,I've followed the manual,but it's not taking the data.I'm going to try putting the files in my documents and then dragging them to the RC-50.
:freak:

I'm glad there was a patch for the glitch 3 weeks after I sold it...

I regret that...I really do. the reason I didn't use it as much is because the initial repeat of the loop jumped...after that it was fine...but I couldn't do with that one jump. Now...I'm pissed...because It is the only looper that could continue running my signal in stereo!

• Members

I'm glad there was a patch for the glitch 3 weeks after I sold it...

I regret that...I really do. the reason I didn't use it as much is because the initial repeat of the loop jumped...after that it was fine...but I couldn't do with that one jump. Now...I'm pissed...because It is the only looper that could continue running my signal in stereo!

FWIW, I know that the upcoming Boomerang III can be run in stereo, but of course the feature set is a bit different, and it's still a while before release.

• Members

FWIW, I know that the upcoming Boomerang III can be run in stereo, but of course the feature set is a bit different, and it's still a while before release.

Yes, I will def. check it out...but I'm still nervous for it, and if I'd like it or not. It will be a lot of money, and I wasn't too big a fan of the II - but those decay rates are impressive.

• Members

This is absolutely not true for the Boss RC-2. However, some degradation of tone is going to happen regardless of what looper you use because that's just what overdubbing will do. It is possible that the buffer on the boss has something to do with it. I can see situations in which another buffer on another pedal not playing nice with the boss, in which case tone might turn out bad. I think mine sounds pretty damn good, and I'm pretty picky about tone ;)

• Members

OK,I've been trying to locate the guide patterns to different loops,you can do this easily,my plan was to play over the guide patterns after setting their tempo to where I wanted and then transfer them to the PC and listen back,the guide patterns will not show up within your loop on the PC playback,I don't know if you guys knew that or not,but they are meant to stay on the device.And I just learned a lesson on importing files whether the system protect is on or not,anything in the file you are pulling from,say another song or maybe a pic file,if it's a corrupt file you will recieve a "damaged files" statement in the display,which freezes the looper totally.You can recover factory settings without connection to PC,but will have to retrieve the factory presets 1-6 off the disc again.So make sure the file you are setting up is empty and only has what you want to import.Just thought I'd give a heads up,I'm liking this looper more and more.:)

• Members

Have any of you had difficulty looping in time with a drummer? I'm curious to know whether the auto-quantize (w/ rc models) makes it easier or harder...

It doesn't help any really. The only thing I've noticed that helps is a dl-4 and restarting the loop each time it repeats, to ensure staying in time better.

• Members

It doesn't help any really. The only thing I've noticed that helps is a dl-4 and restarting the loop each time it repeats, to ensure staying in time better.

I wasn't expecting it to help at all actually, but rather to complicate things somewhat... but I guess that depends on the drummer.

Archived