Just bought an English Muff'n...

axegrinder77

• Members

right. sorry.. It really has a awful sound. Hard to explain, but brittle, thin, hairy, not smooth at all. I know these may sound like attributes you'd expect, but it sounded great at the store with an orange head/ marshal cab. It seems it's just not a good fit with my amp.

I'm not being overly picky either, my roommate concurred that is sounds horrible and he's not a tone snob at all.

Way too much highs, a strange sound maybe best described as steel rubbing steel or "hairy" or something. It's hard for me to describe sound. But nothing smooth or fat about it that's for sure. really bad tone.

• Members

A pedal I just got that I entirely recommend for the AC-15 is the Blues Pro Overdrive from MI Audio. I turn leave the tone up all the way, turn the gain knob up to about 10:30, and add volume to taste. Of course, this is set up with the preamp volume set to just breaking up.

The key with distortion pedals is you really need to avoid any sort of mid modification. Mid-cut is bad because the AC tone stack has such a huge mid cut already, you'll basically have no mids at all. A mid boost is also weird with ACs because most mid boosts are set for fender amps, and the vox mid cut is about 150hz higher than the fender mid cut, so it just seems to add bass and makes things muddy.

Basic rule still applies, though: If it sounds good, it IS good!

• Members

Sorry to hear that. Always try pedals through your amp model or something really close to it. I tried a Big Muff the other day through a Bassman and it sounded incredible, but through a silverface Twin I wasn't digging it. I play thru a SF Princeton so I decided against it.

• Members

Sorry to hear that. Always try pedals through your amp model or something really close to it. I tried a Big Muff the other day through a Bassman and it sounded incredible, but through a silverface Twin I wasn't digging it. I play thru a SF Princeton so I decided against it.

Yeah, I've heard Muffs don't like Fenders. A Bassman is halfway to a Marshall though right? (or technically, vice versa...)

• Members

Get a Barber Trifecta, if you're in the $150 price range.

The triangle-era Muff mode alone is worth the price of admission. And the HUGE array of tone sculpting you can get from it (including the raised MID's option) makes it much more versatile than most fuzzes out there.

• Members
Get a Barber Trifecta, if you're in the $150 price range.

The triangle-era Muff mode alone is worth the price of admission. And the HUGE array of tone sculpting you can get from it (including the raised MID's option) makes it much more versatile than most fuzzes out there.

Did you get yours yet, or are you touting it on the basis of your purchase alone :lol: I'm dying to hear it. Post some clips already.

• Members

So now I exchanged for Jeckyl and Hyde... sounded sweet through an AC 30 in the shop and pretty decent through my crappy fender solid state. but sounds like ass through my ac15!!! :(

maybe my tubes are shot? it's annoying when your cheap {censored}ty amp sounds better than your boutique amp.

Archived