"Every Door" - my first song post

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Like it, this is a really good track. Got that dirty 80's feel and and I can here an element of NIN in there. Needs the BASS to be LOUDER I thinks. Great melody all the way through, I like the chorus.

I could here this in a club as a house / trancey - techno remix I think.

How did you do those "keyboards" on the intro then - i.e. tell me more about pedals and how you used them !!

I really like the sound of the vocals too, a good 'distinctive' voice which people would.

Thanks for listening, and for the props, Dangerous Dan :) I'm definitely a Trent Reznor fan, but much more sentimental vocally and lyrically :lol: The bass is cranked almost to the point of clipping, so it could be that it just isn't placed right in the EQ. My ears are pretty beat up from years of abuse by playing with LOUD drummers and a great guitarist who bathed in brutal Marshall glory, so EQ'ing and mastering are skills that I need to pass on to someone who is talented in that area.

From what I remember (it's going to be a bear to replicate), the intro was recorded direct into the preamp using with the following chain:

Gretsch Synchromatic (volume swells with the volume knob) > Boss LS-2 > 2 signal paths:

A: DOD FX80b comp/sust > Boss PS-3 (+octave) > EHX Polychorus > Boss RV-3
B: EHX Tube Blackfinger > EHX Deluxe Electric Mistress > Stereo Memory Man (original)

I mic'd my amps for the other guitars in the song.

• Members

just to clarify -- I think shortened (or possibly removed, but I think the tune could use some sort of intro) could be a way to go IF it remains as-is

Alternatives could be things like (not mutually exclusive options)

-rework the intro so it is less disjoint (so it's not so much intro THEN tune...but an actual transition)

-the theme of the main body is maybe more explicitly explored/developed in the prelude/intro almost like the exposition in a fugue or the alap of a raga (as the sound gets some minor revisit in the main body...you maybe can really punch that foreshadowing connection up to get a "eureka" moment out of the listener...that can help with listener fatigue)

I dont think it's too too terribly long (and there's some nice work in there)
nor do I have a problem (I quite enjoy) the dark nature

Rather - I'd say I think it's actually a great place to get really clever, OR to get trim and make the statement in the intro tight and concise
(as that style of intro has some history behind it...giving a little more there can keep it from coming off as just a nod to the style)

strictly logistically, of course, the intro does give folks a moment to get out to the dancefloor

* one caveat to the listener on the forum (like, oh, ME) - I think, as effects driven guitarists, we could TEND to have a little more interest in the intro sound b/c it is a nice, clever piece of processing.

I dont meant that the intro is uninteresting, just that we might have a stronger interest in the sound than the "civilian listener" due to an appreciation of the production

Or, at least, I remind myself to take that into account at times like thse

• Members

just to clarify -- I think shortened (or possibly removed, but I think the tune could use some sort of intro) would be in order IF it remains as-is

Alternatives could be things like (not mutually exclusive options)

-rework the intro so it is less disjoint (so it's not so much intro THEN tune...but an actual transition)

-the theme of the main body is maybe more explicitly explored/developed in the prelude/intro almost like the exposition in a fugue or the alap of a raga (as the sound gets some minor revisit in the main body...you maybe can really punch that foreshadowing connection up to get a "eureka" moment out of the listener...that can help with listener fatigue)

I dont think it's too too terribly long (and there's some nice work in there)

nor do I have a problem (I quite enjoy) the dark nature

Rather - I'd say I think it's actually a great place to get really clever, OR to get trim and make the statement in the intro tight and concise

(as that style of intro has some history behind it...giving a little more there can keep it from coming off as just a nod to the style)

strictly tactically, of course, the intro does give folks a moment to get out to the dancefloor

Great points. It isn't at all obvious, which is the problem I think, but the chords in the intro are the same chords used in the chorus ("but you give me good love"), just using a different guitar sound/approach. That was my way of getting the chorus in (albeit subtley) at the start of the song. I'll play with it some more.

• Members

(albeit subtley)

MUCH MUCH better word! not "minor"..."subtle" (but I guess that mis-choice of words maybe reflects the condition we are looking at)

hmm, just an out-the-ass thought on that part (maybe would work, maybe not - just throwing out some ideas)

maybe a fairly explicit bass figure under those chords could be used to call attention to the revisitation -- so the listener can have their ears pricked-up by a voiceline that prompts them "hey, you've heard this before, remember"

(but in the bass, so the isn't operating as the C.F./"singing melody" nor does it get lost in the busy body...busybody?!?)

[not convinced n that one myself, but what the hell]

anyway, don't want to have you fixate on just that part or hijack the thread, so I'll release now

(oh, if I forgot to mention -- really nice work!!!)

• Members

Great song and excellent sounds. Very enjoyable mate.

Again, thanks for the props and for listening, Guys.

I'll work on the intro more. I agree, it's pretty melancholy and kinda makes you want to doze off before the song even starts :lol:

Teahead, I listened to your soundclips. I dug "Red & Yellow Surprise." Tasty guitar work and cool song - and the Beano Boost clip with the Tele and AC30 is absolutely blistering.

• Members

I didn't bother reading what everyone else thought, but I loved your vocals.

I was just having a conversation with one of my lyricists about making vocals "distinct", and how too many singers just amalgamate the voices of current famous people instead of finding their own distinct voice.

I'm happy to say, your vocals speak volumes, your voice is distinct, and you have a lot of potential my friend. :thu:

• Members
I didn't bother reading what everyone else thought, but I loved your vocals.

I was just having a conversation with one of my lyricists about making vocals "distinct", and how too many singers just amalgamate the voices of current famous people instead of finding their own distinct voice.

I'm happy to say, your vocals speak volumes, your voice is distinct, and you have a lot of potential my friend.
:thu:

Thanks, Scarlet Theory :) That's a mighty generous compliment.

• Members

Thanks, Scarlet Theory
:)
That's a mighty generous compliment.

I normally don't give many compliments out. I'm one of those "say it how it is" sort of guys.

So much of the music I hear I just don't like, so to hear something I could/have listened to several times and I'm still really impressed is a breath of fresh air. There is just something special there. :cool:

• Members

Thanks to eveyone who listened and sent feedback.

One more question before I let this thread fade into obscurity.

Of these Soundclick genres, which one do you think this song would fit best?

Alternative
Brit Pop
Indie
Euro Pop
Pop Rock
Progressive Rock

I chose Euro Pop, but I listened to the other songs in that genre, and I don't feel like this song fits in well with the others. I wish they had New Wave, Disco Rock, or something like that.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/songInfo.cfm?bandID=750566&songID=5906738

• Members
Thanks to eveyone who listened and sent feedback.

One more question before I let this thread fade into obscurity.

Of these Soundclick genres, which one do you think this song would fit best?

Alternative

Brit Pop

Indie

Euro Pop

Pop Rock

Progressive Rock

I chose Euro Pop, but I listened to the other songs in that genre, and I don't feel like this song fits in well with the others. I wish they had New Wave, Disco Rock, or something like that.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/songInfo.cfm?bandID=750566&songID=5906738

mmm....that's a tricky one.

maybe Pop Rock would be better than Euro pop....When I think of euro pop i think of it as being 'utter crap pop' and I wouldn't look for anything called euro pop.....where as pop rock seems like more of an all encompassing kind of genre name. but really none of them fit that well. :freak:

• Members
:lol:
What is Euro-Pop anyways? Would that be Alizee?

Thanks, Melx. Too bad "Gay Nightclub Rock" wasn't a choice. I told my wife that you said that, and she was taken aback at first, but then agreed with you

Nice avatar, BTW !

euro pop?? I dunno pop from europe I guess...ABBA, Cheeky Girls?:freak:

Thanks, I saw her and thought, yes please!! :lol:

Archived