"Every Door" - my first song post

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

well crafted but horrid song. The vocals are too emotional and whiney, the falsetto is overdone. The "music" is simplistic, the arrangement is monotonous. Reminds me of a George Michael song on extasy and with the gayness factor amplified by 1000. I thought this genre had died peacefully long ago?

I can tell you have talent but this was just a bad idea for a song that has way too much work put into it. It would last about 1/2 a second on my radio.

• Members

I actually kind of like it. I'm a sucky for warbly atmospheric synth stuff and the vocals were nice. I kind of like songs that are a little bit campy. And I don't think it "died out a long time ago" - Smashing Pumpkin's Adore used the same kind of homoerotic sensual stuff, and even debatedly a track or two on Muse's latest offering(well, Supermassive Black Hole anyway).

I do agree that it's a little too "George Michael" though. There is a kind of emptiness to it in that regard that dampens the atmosphere; but it's hard to describe. I think capturing the gritty, more perverse, Depeche Mode side of the slightly gay sounding electronica would be better, if you get what I mean. That has a great depth to it. Otherwise you end up in George Michael territory. I think that's why I find that sort of stuff empty, because it denies that slightly gothy deep dark end that "should" be there.

Err, I hope some of this made sense.

The intro is still VERY pretty. I say listen to more Depeche Mode before you do another track like this. The microsynth sounds great too. I'd love one.

I thing the song itself is very good, it just needs better backing. What it needs, IMO -

Some kind of fuzzy guitar. Big Muff, Fuzz Factory on the right settings, Turbo RAT, anything fuzzy and thick on the neck pickup. It REALLY needs this I feel. It just seems like it's "Missing" from it. Check out Smashing Pumpkin's "Love" for a sort of similiar thing with synthy sounds with fuzziness, though I'd go with a warmer setting.

Similiar to "Love", maybe a phaser/flanger part? No chorus though. A RED WITCH MOON PHASER would be perfect on this track if you have one. It's very organic, like the Microsynth.

Maybe some vocal effects on certain parts of the song?

These are the kind of suggestions you're going to get on the Effects forum :? But I really do think it needs the extra punch of a fairly heavy guitar.

• Members
I actually kind of like it. I'm a sucky for warbly atmospheric synth stuff and the vocals were nice. I kind of like songs that are a little bit campy. And I don't think it "died out a long time ago" - Smashing Pumpkin's Adore used the same kind of homoerotic sensual stuff, and even debatedly a track or two on Muse's latest offering(well, Supermassive Black Hole anyway).

I do agree that it's a little too "George Michael" though. There is a kind of emptiness to it in that regard that dampens the atmosphere; but it's hard to describe. I think capturing the gritty, more perverse, Depeche Mode side of the slightly gay sounding electronica would be better, if you get what I mean. That has a great depth to it. Otherwise you end up in George Michael territory. I think that's why I find that sort of stuff empty, because it denies that slightly gothy deep dark end that "should" be there.

Err, I hope some of this made sense.

The intro is still VERY pretty. I say listen to more Depeche Mode before you do another track like this. The microsynth sounds great too. I'd love one.

I thing the song itself is very good, it just needs better backing. What it needs, IMO -

Some kind of fuzzy guitar. Big Muff, Fuzz Factory on the right settings, Turbo RAT, anything fuzzy and thick on the neck pickup. It REALLY needs this I feel. It just seems like it's "Missing" from it. Check out Smashing Pumpkin's "Love" for a sort of similiar thing with synthy sounds with fuzziness, though I'd go with a warmer setting.

Similiar to "Love", maybe a phaser/flanger part? No chorus though. A RED WITCH MOON PHASER would be perfect on this track if you have one. It's very organic, like the Microsynth.

Maybe some vocal effects on certain parts of the song?

These are the kind of suggestions you're going to get on the Effects forum :? But I really do think it needs the extra punch of a fairly heavy guitar.

Thanks for the feedback guys! The whole homoerotic is not intentional :lol:, but it's just a manifestation of the kind of music I've always liked ever since I was kid. I'm not a depressive type of person, so I focus more on creating a vibe of FUN, which is often construed as being "gay." This makes sense to me, since I often find gay culture to have a real appreciation of FUN. :thu:

Cheers!

• Members

Hmm, you don't have to be gay to enjoy it, it's just that it does kind of tie into that "scene" - but it also ties into the Goth(probably where Mr. Corgan got the idea to do some stuff like that from, he listens to a lot of stuff like Bauhaus and crap) and some underground electro scenes quite a bit.

I think the main reason think of "Gay" is because Depeche Mode and bands like them pioneered the sound. I associate that sound with the 80s and 90s, though as breaching the mainstream and becoming more prominent in the 90s. One of the things I really like about the 90s, actually.

Personally I think most gay "scenes" are very empty, with lots of crappy dance music and pop remixes playing over hopelessly "put on" camp accents and bad fashion. That's unfortunately because that's how gay people are "Marketted" - just like how black people are marketted as gangstas, and people very quickly lap up their own stereotype - as that's all kids growing up as that minority see on TV.

But bands like Depeche Mode kind of represent the darker, deeper side of that kind of scene, which is "fun" in a tounge of cheek kind of way as well as being much more meaningful and self aware.

Thus, listening to DEPECHE MODE would increase the quality of tracks like these quite a bit. Especially the "Ultra" album, perhaps.

• Members
Hmm, you don't have to be gay to enjoy it, it's just that it does kind of tie into that "scene" - but it also ties into the Goth(probably where Mr. Corgan got the idea to do some stuff like that from, he listens to a lot of stuff like Bauhaus and crap) and some underground electro scenes quite a bit.

I think the main reason think of "Gay" is because Depeche Mode and bands like them pioneered the sound. I associate that sound with the 80s and 90s, though as breaching the mainstream and becoming more prominent in the 90s. One of the things I really like about the 90s, actually.

Personally I think most gay "scenes" are very empty, with lots of crappy dance music and pop remixes playing over hopelessly "put on" camp accents and bad fashion. That's unfortunately because that's how gay people are "Marketted" - just like how black people are marketted as gangstas, and people very quickly lap up their own stereotype - as that's all kids growing up as that minority see on TV.

But bands like Depeche Mode kind of represent the darker, deeper side of that kind of scene, which is "fun" in a tounge of cheek kind of way as well as being much more meaningful and self aware.

Thus, listening to DEPECHE MODE would increase the quality of tracks like these quite a bit. Especially the "Ultra" album, perhaps.

I'm a big fan of "Music for the Masses," "Violator," and the Pumpkin's "Adore." Phenomenal albums! In fact, I'm listening to Violator now, and I was listening to Adore yesterday. :thu: But, the lyrics on those albums have a disturbing quality about them that wouldn't be very genuine or convincing from me, at least not in this phase of my life. I was aiming for something more along the lines of "Funky Town", or "Love to Love You, Baby." :lol:

• Members

You should get me to do some vocals then since I'm very much in that phase of my life. I also have an amazing bi-gendered voice. I can do an impression of Starscream from the Transformers! I can make anything sound dirty.

Actually, I'd be very interested in collaborating on some homoerotic tracks with you. I might even Fuzz all over that one to see what happens. I love playing over people's {censored}.

... see what I mean?

(though I can't seem to record from mixer so I guess not)

• Members

I'll have setup as soon as I go home tonight. I don't have internet in my place so I have to stay out at college. But I have most of my gear at home, my room is a complete mess so it might take me a while to clear the Transformers, spare toilet rolls and empty 7-Up bottles out of the way and hope to mind my U-Control connections under there but after a few minutes I should be good to go.

• Members
Thanks for the feedback guys! The whole homoerotic is not intentional
:lol:
, but it's just a manifestation of the kind of music I've always liked ever since I was kid. I'm not a depressive type of person, so I focus more on creating a vibe of FUN, which is often construed as being "gay." This makes sense to me, since I
often
find gay culture to have a real appreciation of FUN.
:thu:

Cheers!

no offense but that is way past normal "fun" and straight into rainbow bright gayness land fun. It's definitely more of a "fun" gay song than a "I wanna die chocking on cocks" gay song but the gayness factor is overwhelming any fun I might have gotten out of it.

Again, it sounds like you definitely have talent. I guess I'm too old or not metrosexual enough to appreciate it.

• Members
no offense but that is way past normal "fun" and straight into rainbow bright gayness land fun. It's definitely more of a "fun" gay song than a "I wanna die chocking on cocks" gay song but the gayness factor is overwhelming any fun I might have gotten out of it.

Again, it sounds like you definitely have talent. I guess I'm too old or not metrosexual enough to appreciate it.

"Rainbow Bright Gayness" - that could be a great song title :lol: No offense taken. Thanks for listening and sending feedback.

• Members

Now THIS is 'rainbow bright gayness'

FWIW --
I found the gayness in the aesthetic sense (appreciation of melodrama, dance-pop, strong cocktails) as opposed to queering (speaking more directly to sexuality) to sort of sublimate the earnestness of the felling in the tune...bringing the fun back in!!

now I'm only 38 and, while I don't have enough fashion sense or hygine to be metrosexual - I did initially propose to my wife at a pride party -- She wasnt as amused as I was by that -- So I might fit the demographic better, at least as one who an connect with the aesthetic if not the actual target audience

I think the homoerotic part could actually be punched up if you wanted to put an edge on the tune
or, it could be left sort of crypto/ambiguous if you wanted to play that channel

OK, so maybe this post was just an excuse to put up a Samwell video

• Members
Now THIS is 'rainbow bright gayness'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fbGkxcY7YFU

FWIW --

I found the gayness in the aesthetic sense (appreciation of melodrama, dance-pop, strong cocktails) as opposed to queering (speaking more directly to sexuality) to sort of sublimate the earnestness of the felling in the tune...bringing the fun back in!!

(now I'm only 38 and, while I don't have enough fashion sense or hygine to be metrosexual - I did initially propose to my wife at a pride party. She wasnt as amused as I was by that)

I think the homoerotic part could actually be punched up if you wanted to put an edge on the tune

or, it could be left sort of crypto/ambiguous if you wanted to play that channel

OK, so maybe this post was just an excuse to put up a Samwell video

That really is "Rainbow Bright" ! :lol: Okay, I think this is a good point to kill this thread. I never imagined that my song would provoke a Samwell posting. What happened :confused: Look what you started, Melx! :evil:

• Members
Not the threads fault, it's monday

you could have just as easilly said -- "what gauge of strings do you use?"

and I
still
would have posted a Samwell vid

some days, you just need to share a little Samwell with th world.....Ohhhhh-Kayyyyy

I'd never seen it before. You gave me a good laugh! Thanks :wave:

• Members
Thanks, homestar_kevin!

That really is "Rainbow Bright" !
:lol:
Okay, I think this is a good point to kill this thread. I never imagined that my song would provoke a Samwell posting. What happened
:confused:
Look what you started, Melx!
:evil:

I know.......I wish I hadn't said anything!! :freak:

Just to make my point again, what I said was that I could see it going down well in gay club...not that it sounded gay or it sounded like camp euro pop or anything like that!! and yeah, it's very brian ferry, which isn't a bad thing...i'm still very impressed with the whole thing. :thu:

• Members
I know.......I wish I hadn't said anything!!
:freak:

Just to make my point again, what I said was that I could see it going down well in gay club...not that it sounded gay or it sounded like camp euro pop or anything like that!! and yeah, it's very brian ferry, which isn't a bad thing...i'm still very impressed with the whole thing.
:thu:

Thanks, Melx. You know I was just kidding.

Archived