Instead of a Box of Metal, where should you spend your $300+

metronumb

• Members

A couple of suggestions - take the $300 and:

1) Sell your current SS amp head (value est. $150)

Then buy a used Peavey Ultra head

2) Buy a Crate GX1300 head for about $150 used

Bank the $150 savings

3) Buy a Zoom HL-01 for about $70 used

Buy a new Analogman chorus -

4) Buy a Keeley modded Metal Zone for $125

Buy a ISP Decimator for $125

Bank the $50 or buy a cheap eq

5) Buy a Zoom 5000 for about $125

Bank the $175

6) Buy the entire Zoom analog series for $300

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Buy the Damage Control Demonizer...then buy $12 worth of Tung-Sol tubes to replace the base lower-gain EHX tubes. Take 5 minutes to replace them (circuit is self biasing...just open the case, swap the tubes, you're done).

What you get is an all-tube hi-gain monster (both preamp and power amp distortion, not to mention direct output with cabinet emulation).

• Members

Buy the Damage Control Demonizer...then buy $12 worth of Tung-Sol tubes to replace the base lower-gain EHX tubes. Take 5 minutes to replace them (circuit is self biasing...just open the case, swap the tubes, you're done).

What you get is an all-tube hi-gain monster (both preamp and power amp distortion, not to mention direct output with cabinet emulation).

Here is the Solid Metal for $175 new

http://www.audiomidi.com/Solid-Metal-P7629.aspx

• Members

if you are going to spend $300 for a specialty pedal, then you might as well use that money to invest in a better amp. Pedals are just tools. A good amp is so much more important than any pedal.

I must admit a good amp and good speakers and probably good tubes too, has done more for my tone then any pedal, or pickup even....but I dunno, I don't want to sound 'metal' anyway.

• Members
  • Members

i love how folks think that owning an all tooooob amp is the end all and be all of all gear needs, like with just that, every sonic tonic could be served.

how does one explain gilmour? or gibbons? those guys wouldnt need all those stupid dirt pedals if they'd just settle down with a good valve amp, i guess.

sounds much more important calling it valves, too. my amps' tones improved four-fold at least, once i started calling the tubes valves.

i think a good setup and a set of graphite saddles should be tops on the list. then a set of lower-gain pups.

Archived