guitar volume pot value = what change to a pickup's sound? 500k 100k 50k 250k ???

hangwire

• Members

I have a tele neck pickup in the bridge position of my strat copy as I never used that position with a good pcikup, but like having a lofi switchable opition there...

I am going to be replacing the pots and was wondering what influence going up or down from the 250k one in there would have... would going down to 100k be muddy and flubby, or going up to 500k or even 1000k make it too bright???

• Members

500k will definitely make the guitar brighter. Right now I have a 500k volume in my strat, and it gets mega treble (no lie). This is because it loads the pickups less than a 250k so more treble and slightly more volume get through. I don't think I would go above that, personally, just because my bridge when clean kind of gets a low fidelity vibe already with the 500k. But if you're going for pure novelty, the sky's the limit really.

On the other hand, a 100k would make for a very quiet, dark sounding strat. Which doesn't seem to be what you're looking for.

I would just put a 500k in the volume slot.

• Members

I have a tele neck pickup in the bridge position of my strat copy as I never used that position with a good pcikup, but like having a lofi switchable opition there...

I am going to be replacing the pots and was wondering what influence going up or down from the 250k one in there would have... would going down to 100k be muddy and flubby, or going up to 500k or even 1000k make it too bright???

Generally speaking the higher the value the brighter (and potentially thinner) your pickups will sound. The most common value used with Fender Tele and Strat single coils is 250K, with P90's and humbuckers 500K. There are no rules though. :)

I run 250's in my Fenders, and 500's with humbuckers / P90's. You CAN go to 500 with a Fender single coil, and it will load the pups less; resulting in more output - but (as has already been noted) a brighter tone. The compromise is really up to your individual preference. Personally, I usually find 500's in a Fender to be a bit too bright. YMMV. :)

Archived