OMG amp lust!!!!!

Destructobot

• Members
Bingo! Have your cake, and eat it too! I'd be buying the electric amp with a master-volume too, and I bet it takes pedals like a champ at any volume.

mass150.jpg

old orange 120 watters could easily kill this thing, their output wattage rating is based on clean wattage (or non-clipped/saturated). these things kick out well up to 200 when dimed. I run my 70s pix and text dimed often and it is balls loud. but i do ambient/doom/post rock stuff with no vocals so it works great paired with my 70s model T.

also he mentions that the output transformer is possibly not original. I'm nearly positive it isnt. the transformers in my amp are both HUGE. (local amp tech, an old man, half-jokingly said he threw his back out moving my amp around...i cant wait to bring him my model T!)

• Members

:love:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280175984323&indexURL=0#ebayphotohosting

bbf0_12.JPG

I used to own one of these - great sounding amp but REALLY, REALLY LOUD!!! :eek: I bought it to play it (it sounded GLORIOUS when cranked!) but quickly found it impractical. I recorded with it a few times but never gigged with it. It was an impulse buy. I'd gone to a local store to purchase an early 70's JMP-50 head I'd demo'd days before. The JMP was gone but they'd taken in this well cared for Graphic 120 and suggested I take it for a spin. I was blown away! Big, bold tones and quick note bloom. ...and CRUNCH! It wasn't what I was looking for but I already owned a great sounding JMP-50, I had the cash in my pocket, and it seemed a good deal. I bought it for $700 in 1992 - one slightly lifting tolex seam away from dead mint - and sold it a few years later for quite a bit more than my buy price. I don't miss it but only because I had little opportunity to play it.

I think my ears still ring from playing that amp. :freak:

• Members

Honestly, I could do just as well with a regular turret board PTP stranded wire amp that cops the design and sound of an Electric, preferably with 80 watts. Unfortunately, nobody makes that. Even Orange doesn't make a regular OD series amp anymore.

Matamp does! Looks sweet as heck to me - and it's made on NOS boards (that's right, the '60s/'70s amps had a PCB!) AND already has the effects loop you were hoping for!!! :thu: It would be hard to argue that any other current production amp was as authentic. Let us know if you get a price!

• Members

Electric is just the American arm of Matamp, right? i know with Matamp they custom build every amp to your specs based on one of the standard models, they advise you on valves, speakers, cab dimensions and all sorts of stuff based on what you want it to sound like, plus you can go to the factory and pick out your tolex and cloth yourself.

• Members

That transformer doesn't look nearly big enough.

Also:

l_76bf836ff1ca971b7a520cf1c14afe83.jpg

:rawk:

If I could find a Sound City 120 though I'd be tempted to ditch them both.

Electric is just the American arm of Matamp, right?

No. They originally imported UK Matamps, but after assorted hijinks went their separate ways and now just make classic-Matamp-inspired monsters.

• Members

I tried out a Fender Reverb Twin and Deluxe

God, amp lust to the extreme. I can't afford the Twin, but the Deluxe is really fantastic. I'll probably move up to the twin later on though, but I'm trying to sell the amp in my sig for the Deluxe.

• Members
Matamp does!
Looks sweet as heck to me - and it's made on NOS boards (that's right, the '60s/'70s amps had a PCB!) AND already has the effects loop you were hoping for!!!
:thu:
It would be hard to argue that any other current production amp was as authentic. Let us know if you get a price!

I'm guessing that once the weak dollar, shipping from England, and import duties are factored in, the price would be well beyond what I'd pay for and Electric, and the quality is undoubtedly inferior.

• Members

I'm guessing that once the weak dollar, shipping from England, and import duties are factored in, the price would be well beyond what I'd pay for and Electric, and the quality is undoubtedly inferior.

Inferior? Howso? If the Electric is a copy of classic era Matamp/Orange designs and the Matamp is actually build on a REAL PCB from the classic era. . . I guess the Electric could be an updated "beefed up" version, but that's only "better" if the original Mat/Orange Amp design was somehow lacking for your needs. . .

• Members
The electric looks like it could withstand direct assault with a hammer! Granted, the matamp is probably great. You didn't consider my other argument though, regarding the cost of buying an amp from merry ol' England.

No doubt you're right there. Only time I sent money to the UK ($1400) it was for an Audio Bros. custom built HIWATT SA112 replica. I never saw the money or amp again. Certainly dealing with MatAmp UK would be an entirely different experience, but there is something good about knowing you could go drive to the person's door and get your $$$ back if push came to shove. . . :evil:

Archived