I never thought a vocoder could be this funky...

• Members

My favourite all time talkbox solo is from John Miles "Slowdown" from 1976. An absolute disco classic with balls...

I also really like Herbie and ZAPP although the ZAPP stuff was more of an evolution than revolution as it came later... so he didn't really write the book on talkbox IMHO...

there are cool Stevie videos on youtube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=By-cF0W2JLw&NR=1

• Members

I also really like Herbie and ZAPP although the ZAPP stuff was more of an evolution than revolution as it came later... so he didn't really write the book on talkbox IMHO...

Actually they both hit around 1978 if I recall correctly, so I would rate them both concurrently as vocoder pioneers, with Roger taking it (use of the vocoder) far and away much further.

• Members

Just saying hello from the bass forum and I thought I've heard it all when it came to funky music...Just listened to Herbie Hancock's "I Thought It Was You" for the first time tonight.

:thu:

You've obviously not heard it all if you haven't heard each and every Hancock 70s records !!! That track is great !!

• Members

I fail to understand why nobody makes a vocoder on par with the old Moog, Bode, Senneheiser or even the Roland rackmount. I have one in the Virus TI- sucks, the Waldorf Q- sucks, the Vsynth XT- mediocre and the Korg Radias and Oasys-sucks! Vocoding is old technology. Why has it got worse?

• 4 months later...
  • Members

I fail to understand why nobody makes a vocoder on par with the old Moog, Bode, Senneheiser or even the Roland rackmount. I have one in the Virus TI- sucks, the Waldorf Q- sucks, the Vsynth XT- mediocre and the Korg Radias and Oasys-sucks! Vocoding is old technology. Why has it got worse?

A couple of years or so a French company (now defunct) has, it was called the Analog-Lab X-32 Vocoder (32-band vocoder)!!

• Members

Just saying hello from the bass forum and I thought I've heard it all when it came to funky music...Just listened to Herbie Hancock's "I Thought It Was You" for the first time tonight.
:thu:

Some consider that to be the BEST vocoder song of ALL-TIME!!!

Archived