OT: No Country for Old Men

tenoken

• Members

I think the title comes from the novel because I was listening for it and didn't hear it, or there is a deleted scene where a remark was made. It fit in with the conversation Tommy Lee Jones was having at one point.

Anyway, the old men were well armed and mean as hell but they were not mentally prepared for the changes that had occurred (which is deliciously ironic, because the setting of the film is 1980, not today, when things are probably a thousand times worse).

Best film - yeah, I said that to my wife, that I would expect some kind of recognition for it, it was such a work of art, but she thought it might be a bit too existential for the "normal" people who seem to be instrumental in decided what gets voted upon.

Then again, the Coens still have not worn out their welcome in Hollywood so it might get in the door.

• Members

Yes, I loved the movie almost as much as I loved the book. Haunting and frightening will somewhat humorous. Tommy Lee Jones was perfect and I generally don't like him that much. Barden was fantastic and so was Brolin. The Coens stayed very true to the book and even ended it the same way which, if they hadn't done, would have ruined the message of the story.

It is already the best reviewed movie of the year and the only picture on the horizon that could challenge it for best picture looks like "There Will be Blood" by PT Anderson and starring Daniel Day Lewis.

So far a very good movie season.

• Members

Have any of you read any Cormac MacCarthy books? They are pretty damn good and pretty violent and bleak.

So far I have read "The Road," "Blood Meridian," and "No Country for Old Men."

"The Road" is one of the best novels I have ever read and "Blood Meridian" is by far the most violent. They are both being made into moives to be released in 09 and 10. Blood Meridian is being made by Ridley Scott and I really don't know how anyone could pull off a story that is 300 pages of murder. But if he can it will be something to see because the book is awesome.

• Members

I'd like to see it to see if the Coen brothers have actually released something good. I think they're completely overrated. Barton Fink and Miller's Crossing are good but the rest is pretty average.

Oh no you didn't!

You don't even like the Big Lebowski or Fargo? Hell, even Ebert calls Fargo one of the best films he has ever seen and I agree...

• Members

I don't get the title, I mean all the old men around here are mean as hell and well armed. Ah well, what's in a name right? I'll have to check it out, thanks.

I know nothing about this film, but the title comes from the opening lines of a famous poem by William Butler Yeats; the phrase is generally taken to refer to Ireland.

"Sailing to Byzantium" by W.B. Yeats

That is no country for old men. The young

In one another's arms, birds in the trees

- Those dying generations - at their song,

The salmon-falls, the mackerel-crowded seas,

Fish, flesh, or fowl, commend all summer long

Whatever is begotten, born, and dies.

Caught in that sensual music all neglect

Monuments of unageing intellect.

An aged man is but a paltry thing,

A tattered coat upon a stick, unless

Soul clap its hands and sing, and louder sing

For every tatter in its mortal dress,

Nor is there singing school but studying

Monuments of its own magnificence;

And therefore I have sailed the seas and come

To the holy city of Byzantium.

O sages standing in God's holy fire

As in the gold mosaic of a wall,

Come from the holy fire, perne in a gyre,

And be the singing-masters of my soul.

Consume my heart away; sick with desire

And fastened to a dying animal

It knows not what it is; and gather me

Into the artifice of eternity.

Once out of nature I shall never take

My bodily form from any natural thing,

But such a form as Grecian goldsmiths make

Of hammered gold and gold enamelling

To keep a drowsy Emperor awake;

Or set upon a golden bough to sing

To lords and ladies of Byzantium

Of what is past, or passing, or to come.

• Members

I'd like to see it to see if the Coen brothers have actually released something good. I think they're completely overrated. Barton Fink and Miller's Crossing are good but the rest is pretty average.

funny, those are the two films i like the least.

• Members

I know this is a thread about subjective tastes and all, but you're out of your {censored}ing mind.

• Members

So, is the movie about Ireland, or not?
:confused:

What's the premise, without giving away anything that would ruin it for those who haven't seen it?

no, it's set in west texas, in 1980.

this guy is out hunting in the desert when he notices an injured dog. he follows the blood trail where the dog came from and sees a pile of bodies in the desert with one truck holding an injured man asking for water and about 80 bricks of heroin.

he follows the trail of blood from the "last man standing" that ran with the money, and takes the case that looks like it's got about $10,000,000.

when he gets home, his conscience gets to him and he drives back to the desert to give a bottle of water to the dying man. he's discovered by men sent to recover the loot and they chase him off, causing him to leave his car.

that's when Bardem's character picks up his trail. He's the hitman sent to recover the money and drugs.

Tommy Lee Jones is the sheriff who picks up the crime scene and figures out who they're after.

the movie is basically Tommy Lee Jones trying to find the guy with the money before the hitman does.

• Members
no, it's set in west texas, in 1980.

this guy is out hunting in the desert when he notices an injured dog. he follows the blood trail where the dog came from and sees a pile of bodies in the desert with one truck holding an injured man asking for water and about 80 bricks of heroin.

he follows the trail of blood from the "last man standing" that ran with the money, and takes the case that looks like it's got about $10,000,000.

when he gets home, his conscience gets to him and he drives back to the desert to give a bottle of water to the dying man. he's discovered by men sent to recover the loot and they chase him off, causing him to leave his car.

that's when Bardem's character picks up his trail. He's the hitman sent to recover the money and drugs.

Tommy Lee Jones is the sheriff who picks up the crime scene and figures out who they're after.

the movie is basically Tommy Lee Jones trying to find the guy with the money before the hitman does.

:eek:

Wow, I may have to check that out! :thu:

Thanks for the trailer! :D

• Members

The film is about making choices and accepting the consequences for those choices, a metaphor for life, really, if you look at it from about 20 paces back with one eye closed and the other peering through a slit in a piece of cardboard.

Man, how can anyone say Miller's Crossing sucked? The scene with Albery Finney in his bathrobe firing the machine gun while Danny Boy plays in the background is pure poetry.

And BARTON FINK? How can you not get that Barton Fink Feel?

Actually, they are geniuses in absurdity. If you cannot follow the logic, then yeah, their films would appear to be mediocre self-indulgent crap. What I try to do is imagine their pitch, especially on the films they write. that makes it even more fun to watch them...

Fargo - Pregnant midwestern policewoman tracking two sociopaths in the middle of winter.

Miller's Crossing - Irish gangsters, with all of the stereotypes associated with the Irish, trying to maintain order in the face of a changing society.

Raising Arizona - impotent ne'er-do-well and his policewoman wife conspire to add a child to their family by any means necessary. Both are a little below average.

That kind of thing.

• Members
I know this is a thread about subjective tastes and all, but you're out of your {censored}ing mind.

I love you too :)

For ages in the UK, Blood SImple was hard to get hold of and there was an expectant buzz about it. When it was more available, most people i know who really dig the Coens thought it was very average and average is how I feel about most of their films. O Brother, Where Art Thou?, The Big Lebowski... alright but nowhere near worthy of the praise they've gotten. Fargo bored the arse off of me.

So this one.. I'll watch the film and reserve judgement.

• Members

Best film - yeah, I said that to my wife, that I would expect some kind of recognition for it, it was such a work of art, but she thought it might be a bit too existential for the "normal" people who seem to be instrumental in decided what gets voted upon.

yeah, for instance when it just "ended" everyone in the theatre was like what the {censored}! and i was like, HOLY {censored}!!!!

• Members

Raising Arizona sucked, but Fargo, The Big Lebowski, and Barton Fink were all {censored}ing awesome. I liked Miller's Crossing, too, but it wasn't as good as the three mentioned previous. I still haven't seen No Country For Old Men, but I really want to, so stop making threads about it so I can wait until it comes out on dvd.

Archived