OCD is that good!

dap99

• Members

I didn't want to believe it. I knew it would be a good pedal, but not as good as all the hype. Well it is THaT good. I've only played it through my Epi Valve Jr. head and MESA 2x12 cab so far, but it really does sound great, cleans up well, and has a very amp-like, open sound. If I had a Twin or something like that, the OCD would be an invaluable pedal.

Now we just need to figure out how to clone it! I got the Voodoolabs OD schematic, but I'm just learning schematics so it'll take me some time to sort it all out. It's not a big circuit, though.

NEway, great peadal.

• Members

Is the OCD similiar to LM308 Rats? Or a whole nother beast? Because I have a twin and a Rat I want an OCD but I'm afraid they're too similiar.

Not too familiar w/ the LM308 rats. Is that Landgraff Mod? I think the OCD is based on the Voodoo Labs OD, but w/ MOSFETS instead of diode clipping. I had a Turbo Rat years ago and never really liked it b/c it was too harsh. My MESA has great OD/Distortion so I've just been using Tube Screamers for boosts. But I had to hear the OCD first hand b/c I've been doing some DIY stuff and I want to try to incorporate the OCD into a future build.

Not very helpful for your question, but hopefully someone else will chime in.

• Members

Yeah, it's awesome. Very versatile pedal, but almost everything sounds great. The LP/HP Switch adds both distortion and upper-mid clarity. Great crunch. Seriously, it' brilliance defined. I don't even use distortion that much, but I've been noodling around playing a lot of Band of Horses, and it gets that {censored} spot on. Spot on. And I'm pretty sure they use the overdrive they get from their Deluxe Reverbs.

• Members

Ditto. Does anyone know for sure what the circuit's based on?

I said it twice already, it's based on the Voodoo Labs Overdrive. Not the newer Sparkle Drive. But Fuller used MOSFETs instead of diodes in the clipping section.

Some people think it's based on the Rat circuit, but that's apparently not true.

• Members

Wasn't the Voodoo Labs OD based on the DOD 250?

Voodoo don't really do totally new stuff. I hadn't heard the OCD was based on anything that closely but I'm keen to know, I'm about to pull the ol' trigger on one.

The VL OD is basically a DOD 250 with an extra gain stage. The OCD also has a tone control which both the DOD and VL lack.

• Members

wow, this pedal seems to be getting great reviews. this past weekend i saw this cover band play and the guitar player had an OCD and he got some great tones off of this thing. Now can this thing produce some Hendrix, Frusciante tones? And it seems that there is a version 3 out now? Which one is the best?

• Members

i have a pristine* ver2 OCD id be willing to sell to the right person...Purplestrat wants one and is a super cool guy:idea::poke:...pm me with offers.

honestly, id be more into trades but like money to buy things and services with. all kinds and skrit. PS- that cab youre trying to get rid of seems interesting and we live close enough i could pick it up to avoid ridiculous shipping.:poke:

and yes, the OCD is based on the rat, the DOD 250, the DS1, the SD1, the tubescreamer, and in retrospect the BOR.:rolleyes: but for realsies- the comparisons/ originations you people come up with makes it sound like youve never played an OCD.

if you have a dark sounding amp youll love it. the darkest amp ive is the epi valve jr combo and it sounds great. it doesnt get along as well with fenders, which is why im letting it go.:)

*silly word.

• Members

I know I feel the same way, if this thing can produce Hendrix/Frusciante tones, i'm all in

I wish I could explain it better. It's not like it produces tones of its own. Instead, it seems to just build upon the amp's natural tones. I'll give a report after I run it through my MESA Tremoverb, but through the Epi Valve Jr., it's heaven. And I really didn't want to think it could be that good. It's just a subtle thing, but an amazing thing. It's Mojo defined.

• Members

thats cool, i've never tried one. i have a marshall vintage modern halfstack. i play a 62 and 76 American strat and my dirt is a ds-2 and a big muff. I want something more something different, i've just heard good things about this pedal. i'll have to go out and try it. oh did the ocd version 3 just come out?

Archived