Which Fuzz?

Fine_Young_Fool

• Members

Seeing as there are so many other, which fuzz? posts, I feel kind of dumb doing this, but my fuzz needs are different, so, yeah.

Anyway.

I am looking for a dark, fat, bassy fuzz, for stoner rock (lame name) mainly. I am looking for the sound like the band Witch has, if you have heard of them.

I think a Big Muff sounds like a good choice, because of its big sound and little price, but I am worried about the sound being too scooped. Also, I have heard that they are pretty one-dimensional, and not very versatile.

I also think the Voodoo lab superfuzz looks cool, but I cannot find any good sound samples or anything.

So basically, which fuzz for me?

• Members

Seeing as there are so many other, which fuzz? posts, I feel kind of dumb doing this, but my fuzz needs are different, so, yeah.

Anyway.

I am looking for a dark, fat, bassy fuzz, for stoner rock (lame name) mainly. I am looking for the sound like the band Witch has, if you have heard of them.

I think a Big Muff sounds like a good choice, because of its big sound and little price, but I am worried about the sound being too scooped. Also, I have heard that they are pretty one-dimensional, and not very versatile.

I also think the Voodoo lab superfuzz looks cool, but I cannot find any good sound samples or anything.

So basically, which fuzz for me?

GREAT THREAD as i too am/is (what ever!) in the market for a good FUZZ for my own Roots-Metal/Stoner/Fuzz/Desert Rock (call it what you want) -project !

Rightnow, my short-list looks something like this :

* VoodooLab Super Fuzz

* Keeley FuzzHead

* Analogman Peperment Fuzz

* T-Rex Mudhoney - the outsider right now / have to test one still.

;)

• Members
Rightnow, my short-list looks something like this :

VoodooLab Super Fuzz

Keeley FuzzHead

Analogman Peperment Fuzz

* T-Rex Mudhoney - the outsider right now / have to test one still.

;)

Take the Fuzzhead right off that list. It's barely more than a lead OD judging from the clips. Not very fuzzy at all, especially for some stoner-ish stuff.

• Members

A friend of mine is trying to go national with his pedals, and he makes a true germanium fuzz called the Woolly Muffin that can nail that sound. Check out the HC review here (and no, I have nothing to do with either the review or his pedals.) Emmanual hand-makes all his pedals out of super-high quality parts (sprague caps, etc.) And last time I checked, the Woolly Muffin was $138. Not bad at all.

http://reviews.harmony-central.com/reviews/Effects/product/Sitori+Sonics+/+Woolly+Muffin+Germanium+Fuzz/10/1

(I have his Tidal Phase and Tapeworm Delay pedals, and they are both must-haves. Awesome pedals.)

• Members
The bloke from Dino Jr ???

:confused:

Yeah as if he couldn't get cooler.

I don't know if there is some issue people have that I don't know about, but although I think the Big Muff will definitely be the choice (especially the BYOC one with mid-mod and OD mod, although they are bringing a new one out soon) I'd at least try out an MXR Blue Box. I know Buzz from the Melvins was into it for a period. If you turn the blend to like 1 to 3 o'clock so you get the subtle -2 sub octave but still have the fuzz be the main focus, it can sound sick.

Again though, I have the BYOC Muff. I was playing a Les Paul through a MusicMan 212 (aka pretty much a Twin Reverb with master volume) and I got a super sick Kyuss tone with the pedal. Try it out.

• Members

Yeah as if he couldn't get cooler.

I don't know if there is some issue people have that I don't know about, but although I think the Big Muff will definitely be the choice (especially the BYOC one with mid-mod and OD mod, although they are bringing a new one out soon) I'd at least try out an MXR Blue Box. I know Buzz from the Melvins was into it for a period. If you turn the blend to like 1 to 3 o'clock so you get the subtle -2 sub octave but still have the fuzz be the main focus, it can sound sick.

Again though, I have the BYOC Muff. I was playing a Les Paul through a MusicMan 212 (aka pretty much a Twin Reverb with master volume) and I got a super sick Kyuss tone with the pedal. Try it out.

wOW - it is not every guitarist that can double as a good drummer too - and i never even heard of the band untill TODAY !

AND I LOVE THE BAND - everything about them, the vibe, feel, tone & vocals ! I can not say that about alot of the othet bands i listen too !

Do they still make the Music Man amps at all ?

Would love to try a Master Vol, TWIN REVERB !!! :evil:

;)

• Members

A friend of mine is trying to go national with his pedals, and he makes a true germanium fuzz called the Woolly Muffin that can nail that sound. Check out the HC review here (and no, I have nothing to do with either the review or his pedals.) Emmanual hand-makes all his pedals out of super-high quality parts (sprague caps, etc.) And last time I checked, the Woolly Muffin was $138. Not bad at all.

(I have his Tidal Phase and Tapeworm Delay pedals, and they are both must-haves. Awesome pedals.)

Does he have a webite? I tried searching for a website before, I heard good things about him.

• Members

Forget the Boss FZ-3. The only decent Boss fuzz is the Hyper Fuzz FZ-2.

Try the Blue Box or the Big Muff. Until you get into fuzz more, don't spend a million dollars. Unless you want something with an extra fuzz layer like the Devi Rocket or Shoe Gaze or White Spider, or a Fender Blender.

• Members

I know my opinion is a little biased, but you can get a Wren and Cuff Pickle Pie with the "mid-flat" switch option which would more than get the tone you're after, and address the mid-scoop issue you mentioned...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=120196288140&ssPageName=STRK:MESE:IT&ih=002

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=120182737759&ssPageName=STRK:MESE:IT&ih=002

good luck on your quest for the right fuzz........

• Members

Does he have a webite? I tried searching for a website before, I heard good things about him.

His website is down right now. He really needs to put it back up. You can email him here though:

sitorisonics@charter.net

He's a really nice, knowledgeable guy. I'm sure he'll be more than happy to tell you anything you want to know about his pedals.

Oh, and he also has a MySpace page (which is a really bad substitute for a real web page, but hey...)

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=272176605

• Members

What is this BYOC Muff?

Right now I am leaning in the muf direction. It seems to be well known and popular. I also know that Mascis uses them in Dino, so it would not seem a stretch for him to suggest them to the band mates.

Yup, so did Munky in early-Korn, Fu Manchu, Mudhoney, aswell as Santana !

;)

• Members

No no no no no no! More options! NArrow it down people! I want a fuzz like this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BFNlWBtznBo

Get to it!

OK, you started something, now you have to tell me more !

Who is this band ?

Are they called, "Witch" ?

Do they have any CD's out, or are they a side-project ?

I could only find two youtube clips - are there any more ?

Any info welcome !

:thu:

Archived