So I finally got Zeitgeist...

TheChopsyWanker

• Members

I've been a huge Pumpkins fan (mostly of the older stuff that is), but I've been holding off on getting this new album. I had heard a couple songs which I didn't think were too bad, but for some reason it just didn't feel right with the two new members. I know James and D'arcy didn't contribute much, but they're still the original members. They added to the vibe. Anyway, I put Zeitgeist on my Christmas list thinking what the heck...might as well get it as a gift if I'm feeling kinda iffy about it.

It's actually not too bad! Has some of the classic Pumpkins style and sound, but with some new flavors added in. There are a few songs I could do without, but overall it's better than I expected. The tones are still pretty huge. Reminds me of a mix between Machina and Mellon Collie. The vocals sound a bit weird in the mix, and it's kinda different hearing Billy doing so many harmonies in certain parts, but I think I'm starting to get used to it. I hear they've already begun writing and recording for another album. I keep hoping for another Siamese Dream but I know that will never happen. Maybe it's best that it doesn't happen so they won't screw it up.

• Members

VOMIT VOMIT VOMIT VOMIT

I can't believe you actually like this since you're a huge pumpkins fan.

I'm a huge pumpkins fan that's also open to new ideas. Some of it comes across well on this album, and some of it doesn't. I thought Billy's solo album was the same way. I know he's not looking to re-create the old Pumpkins, and it while it kinda sucks, some of this new stuff isn't half bad.

• Members

overall i dont think its a bad album.

i think the vocals dont sit right though. rather than being part of the mix, they seem to sit on top of it. kinda like how vocals in pop songs do. i think thats my main gripe with this album.

• Members

the old pumpkins was so impossibly awesome. practically everything they did was better than everything else afaic

the new pumpkins is abominable. zeitgeist made me want to murder billy corgan

if you're going to listen to it please don't pay for it

• Members
that she is.... i saw them for two days of their orange peel residency, and on the day in between i went to the mellow mushroom for some pizza. ginger was sitting two tables away from me and DAMN!

:love:

Which days? I was at the last 3. The pizza there was mad good.

The Smashing Pumpkins were too diverse for their own good. I loved everything they put out and most because I'm into NEW THINGS. If people want rehashed {censored} then go listen to everything that's on the radio including the White Stripes or go listen to all the dance bands that can't hold on. That's why people are also reluctant about the new NIN and Queens of the Stone Age albums. People want the same things over and over again. That's the late 90's/turn of the century {censored}ing MTV generation for you though. Typical.

Archived