Poor student seeks digital delay

Tengo

• Members

Hello guys!

I'm looking to spend some money on a digital delay, to go after my DMM. I'm currently weighing up the EH-1 and the DD-3. What would people recommend, bearing in mind I have a pretty limited budget. Also, could anyone tell me if the EH-1 has a tap tempo option available?

That size pedal is all I can manage as well really. Style of playing ranges from blues/rock to acoustic.

• Members

Digidelay or DE7. The DE7 is a bit easier to use but the Digidelay has more features like tap tempo. I ended up with a Digidelay but I'm not big on FX, just needed a no-nonsense, full featured delay that doesn't mangle my tone.

• Members

i have a DE-7 and EH-1.. picking between the two would be unfair (the 3 really good modes on the echohead, plus tap tempo, and spillover output would win for options of course), but def give the EH-1 a try.

the tape mode is luscious for adding ethereal trails, the digital mode wees all over the DD's and the analog is decent (not as good as the DE-7 echo though). you can even use the EH-1 as a 2 second looper in digital mode with full repeats by using the spillover output you can play a phrase turn the pedal off and have it loop, and punch in another phrase on top of it etc etc..

you really can't beat it on price and options. the DE-7 is only worth getting for the echo mode. and long delay times sound bad (in a bad way) on the digital mode.

i've had fun recently routing the wet-only output on the DE-7 through other fx (vibrato, chorus, phaser etc) which is great for making the DE-7 mimick space echoes and DMM's..

check the clips of both in the link in my sig.

• Members

i have a DE-7 and EH-1.. picking between the two would be unfair (the 3 really good modes on the echohead, plus tap tempo, and spillover output would win for options of course), but def give the EH-1 a try.

the tape mode is luscious for adding ethereal trails, the digital mode wees all over the DD's and the analog is decent (not as good as the DE-7 echo though). you can even use the EH-1 as a 2 second looper in digital mode with full repeats by using the spillover output you can play a phrase turn the pedal off and have it loop, and punch in another phrase on top of it etc etc..

you really can't beat it on price and options. the DE-7 is only worth getting for the echo mode. and long delay times sound bad (in a bad way) on the digital mode.

i've had fun recently routing the wet-only output on the DE-7 through other fx (vibrato, chorus, phaser etc) which is great for making the DE-7 mimick space echoes and DMM's..

check the clips of both in the link in my sig.

Very good points, but I actually like how the DE7 gets kind of muddy on the long delays...

But yes, while it lacks many options, the echo mode for the DE7 is my favorite sounding digital delay mode that I have heard.

• Members

oh the confusion.

The thing is, I don't need a DE-7 for mimicking a DMM, as I have one. But I quite like the idea of it getting a little muddy on longer delay sets.

My pedalboard tends to have an acoustic in front of it, for Howie Day/Damien Ricey effect. However, I'm really starting to get into post-rock ambient stuff and I'll very often play my tele through the setup anyway.

Essentially, DE-7 has a better sound, but EH-1 is a more useful pedal to have. Sound about right?

Archived