Johnny Marr "How Soon Is Now" Trem

morpha2

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

HSIN is a little early for heavy software processing, I think. I'm thinking it's hardware.

And running a trem pedal into a trem amp is a great sound. Especially if it's a bias vary trem, like a tweed, or a brown princeton or brown vibroverb. Great syncopated throb.
:thu:

I was referring to the guy in the video, not Johnny Marr. Marr did it the hard way, with old school gear - multiple Fender Twins with slightly different speed settings on their tremo. It most definitely was not done with computer software plug-ins; as you said, HSIN predates that. :)

And I agree - Sometimes I like the sound of running a pedal trem into a amp that has its onboard trem running too. :cool:

• Members

Has anyone tried getting the HSIN trem sound using the Moog Ring Mod?

I tried -- didn't work. When used solely as a straight trem, I thought the Moog was fairly crude, at least when compared to the Semaphore, which is the trem I had on teh same board as the Moog R'Mod.

Anyone know of a good Wobulator clone (schem or builder)?

• Members

Primarily parallel, but you have several possible options with the Wob. Check out
this link
for more details.
:wave:

FWIW, I really like mine - despite the large size and high cost.

you are right, that is NOT cheap, lol.

are there any other trem's that are 2 in one? or perhaps a compressor that could take 2 signals? on the latter note, i was thinking if you could trigger two beats into the one compressor, it might give the panning effect, but it could just sound like a terrible dissaster.

• Members

The PN-2 didn't come out until about 1990 or 91, long after than song.

That completley slipped my mind. Somone told me Marr was using a PN-2 but thinking about it, I think he may have been talking about G. Coxon.

But either way, in a live situation, that was pretty much how it was done.

I was watching some live bootlegs a friend gave me on DVD a while back, and that was what it looked like.

you are right, that is NOT cheap, lol.

are there any other trem's that are 2 in one? or perhaps a compressor that could take 2 signals? on the latter note, i was thinking if you could trigger two beats into the one compressor, it might give the panning effect, but it could just sound like a terrible dissaster.

in trems - not that I can think of off the top of my head.

Compressors? Sure - there's plenty of dual-mono compressors with separate side chain inputs. You'd need two separate clock sources though - two separate drum machines - to get the "close, but no cigar" out of sync "sync". :)

• Members
in trems - not that I can think of off the top of my head.

Compressors? Sure - there's plenty of dual-mono compressors with separate side chain inputs. You'd need two separate clock sources though - two separate drum machines - to get the "close, but no cigar" out of sync "sync".
:)

great, any brands you'd recommend? cheaper the better preferred, i just dropped a grand on gear and this would be an experiment :p:lol:

• Members

This is an extract from "The Smiths: The Songs That Saved Your Life" by Simon Goddard. Highly recommended for all Smiths fans, especially anyone who plays an instrument.

"The compelling effect in question was achieved without the aid of samplers or digital simulators, but manually on traditional analogue equipment. The first step involved taking a basic rhythm guitar part, which had been recorded as a 'dry' DI (direct-input) take without any effects. Porter was already in the habit of taping a safety DI guitar track for every Smiths recording in case needed to alter or manipulate the sound at a later point in the mixing process. The song's texture was further enhanced by Porter's employment of noise gates and the same dry guitar track fed through a quarter note delay signal. 'I had all these combinations which were pretty much all the same guitar but through various faders', says Porter, 'each with slightly different sounds on. It was a combination of all these things'.

THis dry guitar pattern was next relayed to four Fender Twin Reverb amplifiers, each with its own vibrato tremolo switch. As Marr's plain rhythm was played back through the speakers, Porter and Marr controlled the vibrato on one pair of amplifiers apiece to create the swampy, shuddering texture required. Whenever their tremolo slipped out of sync, the recording was stopped, the tape spun back and recommenced, sometimes recording in bursts of only ten seconds at a time."

• Members

This is an extract from "The Smiths: The Songs That Saved Your Life" by Simon Goddard. Highly recommended for all Smiths fans, especially anyone who plays an instrument.

"The compelling effect in question was achieved without the aid of samplers or digital simulators, but manually on traditional analogue equipment. The first step involved taking a basic rhythm guitar part, which had been recorded as a 'dry' DI (direct-input) take without any effects. Porter was already in the habit of taping a safety DI guitar track for every Smiths recording in case needed to alter or manipulate the sound at a later point in the mixing process. The song's texture was further enhanced by Porter's employment of noise gates and the same dry guitar track fed through a quarter note delay signal. 'I had all these combinations which were pretty much all the same guitar but through various faders', says Porter, 'each with slightly different sounds on. It was a combination of all these things'.

THis dry guitar pattern was next relayed to four Fender Twin Reverb amplifiers, each with its own vibrato tremolo switch. As Marr's plain rhythm was played back through the speakers, Porter and Marr controlled the vibrato on one pair of amplifiers apiece to create the swampy, shuddering texture required. Whenever their tremolo slipped out of sync, the recording was stopped, the tape spun back and recommenced, sometimes recording in bursts of only ten seconds at a time."

Cool!

Great Post.

Archived