SWIRL YOUR OWN PEDALS

MB-1

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Now now... let's try to remember that everyone's tastes are different, and everyone's entitled to their POV. :)

I like the swirl styled pedals. YMMV. I have been thinking of trying one myself, so I appreciate the tutorial. :phil:

The other idea I was considering was the paint drip / spin / splatter. Stick the pedal at the center of a semi-fast spinning turntable (a plastic lazy susan would work, or a potter's wheel...) and drip paint on it while it's spinning. The centrifugal force from spinning flings the paint outwards from the point of impact. I don't know how I'd do the sides without doing it in several "passes" though. :(

• Members

I'm in the painting stages right now on my CMATMODS Signa Drive.

Been taking pictures as I go along, and will post everything when I'm done.

So far it's looking very nice! Just used what I had kicking around the house, which included Rustoleum black semi-gloss latex paint, and two bottles of acrylic day-glo poster paint (hot pink & orange). Used plastic drink cups to thin the paints, and got some mean swirls without using a toothpick at all.

It's drying now for the 2nd day, then some fine sanding with 0000 steel wool, then start clear-coating.

This is all on an already built pedal no less.

Had to tape off the shafts, led, switches & jacks.

• Members

okay so monday i took apart and sanded down the enclosure for my amp's footswitch, then i dripped and swirled paint all over it last night and left it to dry and it was still pretty gooey this morning - think i used too much paint...

never mind, hopefully it'll come okay in the end.

i have a question though - is it worth sanding down the paint once it's dried? won't this damage the look of it? i have zero experience with this stuff so would really appreciate any input. there's no sanding stage in the tutorial linked in this thread but someone else said they did it...

Archived