My DL-4 just hums... is this common/fixable?

snaresmacker

• Members

Hey,

Just got a used Line 6 DL-4 w/ power supply. When engaged (using any bank) it emits an incredibly loud humming sound, rendering it useless. Is this a common problem that is easily fixable? I know these things are a bit notorious, so hopefully someone can tell to do A, B, and C to fix it.

Much thanks!

--Jesse

• Members

Don't try the PSA - it won't fit in the jack (but the difference isn't big enough to be overly obvious, which can lead you to damage the jack trying). Also, the polarity is wrong for operating the DL-4 on DC voltage (granted, it shouldn't matter on a unit designed for AC voltages, but at least that's what they say).

I'd follow the advice above, and try battery power. If it still hums, it's definitely not a power issue. If it goes quiet, try a different Line 6 power supply. If that doesn't help, the problem is in the pedal's AC-to-DC converter section.

/Andreas

• Members

definitely sounds like a power issue, then. the dl4's are quite the picky bitch when it comes to feeding them. i use a one-spot on one dl4 in conjunction with a slew of other pedals, and it creates a whiny type of feedback on certain settings. the dl4 using the line 6 power supply sounds clear and is fine. :idk:

i know it sounds unreasonable, but try another line 6 power adapter if possible. it will at least place the blame on the unit itself if the hum occurs, but the power supply you bought used simply could have run its course.

• Members

I tried it with batteries, and the results were exactly the same. So that should eliminate the power supply as a culprite, right?

If anyone has any ideas for DYI fixes, troubleshooting procedures, please let me know. The guy who sold it to me on eBay isn't responding to my emails... errr.

--Jesse

• Members

I tried it with batteries, and the results were exactly the same. So that should eliminate the power supply as a culprite, right?

Yup - if it does the same thing on battery power (which is as clean as it can be), it's definitely something internal. I assume you've already tried it in various situations (guitar->DL4->amp, different guitars, different rooms etc)? If the problem persists and stays constant, you can be sure it's a problem within the DL4 itself. The fact that in true bypass mode the hum was only there when the pedal was active, while it got constant when switching to the alternate bypass mode, is another pointer in that direction.

If you're stuck with the unit (due to the seller not responding), your best course of action is probably to talk to Line 6 about it and see if you can get a quote.

/Andreas

• Members

there's the reset thing i've read about on here.. might be worth a search of the threads, where you basically remove the chip from the circuit board and plug it back in again for a complete reset when things go bad..

read up more about it before diving in though!

• Members

Man, I hear ALL kinds of stuff about bad DL4's these days. Anyone have any idea whether it's primarily the newer units? I've had one that I bought used a few years back and it's given me zero problems thus far. Maybe I should sell it--not using it much these days.

• Members

Yeah I have an older one(without the colored "line6" label) and it works great, one time on of the banks stopped working for a day, but was magically fixed the next day

yeah im confused, i have heard people say the older units are the ones that break but then i also hear its the newer ones.

I have a newer one (plastic line 6 logo), i will probabaly cry if it breaks.

Time for a backup, they need a line 6 LO-4 which is just looping.

Archived