HCFX is a dangerous place to be once again...

Kid_A

• Members

I got this talk after sponging a ride to pick up the volume pedal from the postal depot.... for the second time this week.... Im finished spending now though. I've pretty much got everything I've ever wanted and need [do I mean the girlfriend?] Cheers everyone on here! PDS 20/20 , 70's Twin , Vox Ac15, Jaguar Baritone, not pictured...:thu:
P1010502.jpg
Time to have kids then I guess.....

• Members

My girlfriend didn't have a problem with my gear addiction. In fact, she supported it by buying me "pretty little boxes that sound good". When she became my wife, the story changed. Now at her request (and my whole hearted agreement) I only buy things with the money I make selling gear, teaching music or playing music.

• Members

My girlfriend didn't have a problem with my gear addiction. In fact, she supported it by buying me "pretty little boxes that sound good". When she became my wife, the story changed. Now at her request (and my whole hearted agreement) I only buy things with the money I make selling gear, teaching music or playing music.

Yea I try and use gear money to fund more or trade off... She cant sell boots and tops to buy more tho!! Grrrr

• Members

Yea I try and use gear money to fund more or trade off... She cant sell boots and tops to buy more tho!! Grrrr

No kidding. DanJep, I'd hate to have to break this to you, but your girl, well, she might be anti-gear.

:eek::cry::eek:

Now hold on, I don't want to upset you. I'm just letting you know that myself and a couple other forumites have noticed she seems to think gear-related purchases are silly (they're not). It also seems that she's convinced you, too. Come on man, this isn't how it's supposed to be. Please buy some new gear. Here, take my MF 20% letter. It should help a little . . .

• Members

Oh, one cool thing about my girl is that while she thinks I don't need another distortion box (usually I just pull the classic line, "But baby, this one sounds DIFFERENT."), she loves to hear me and my band play. She'll take nights off of work just to come to our band practices and listen.

I :love: my girl!!!

• Members

I got that talk last week. I've been complaining on how poor I am (thinking of all the gear I want to buy). Then I sold an amp. My girlfriend was happy I got money until I spent 3/4 of it on GEAR! She told me that I should never complain again about money. :blah:

I always sell gear to buy new ones. What does she have to complain about?

• Members

Luckily, haven't got that talk... yet. She accepts that I spend a lot of money on kit, but she doesn't know an awful lot about it, so takes my word on the value of most things.

Anyway, it's my hard earned money!

• Members
I got that talk last week. I've been complaining on how poor I am (thinking of all the gear I want to buy). Then I sold an amp. My girlfriend was happy I got money until I spent 3/4 of it on GEAR! She told me that I should never complain again about money.
:blah:

I always sell gear to buy new ones. What does she have to complain about?

My wife always complains when I sell gear to buy more gear. I totally don't get it. I can't sell my stuff to buy different stuff :confused: what gives?!? It's like as soon as I liquidate something and there is money to show it's no longer mine? This is not how my parents operate (same for most couples I know in fact her parents have entirely different bank accounts!) :cop:

• Members
...my girlfriend sat me down last night and said "I think your spending a little too much on all this guitar stuff babe, and its because of that website you go on"

:cry:

My name is Daz and i am addicted to expensive little boxes that look nice and sound good.

Hello Daz and welcome to The Group. :wave:

• Members
Mrs. Teahead is remarkably calm about my purchases, she's probably just conditioned to accept it by now. It doesn't stop me paying the mortgage and
we live well enough on the money left over AFTER buying gear,
so no worries.

good to see your priorities are right :wave:

• Members

Mrs Fred is pretty suportive on buying gear especially when I miss out on something I'm bidding for on ebay, she gets as upset as I do (like last night :mad:). This however is tempered by the fact that she spends way more of our disposable income than I do, clothes, makesup etc.

I think she feels a little guilty about the imbalance so she's never moaned about me buying music stuff.

She does have a big problem with the "mess" that all the pedals make, she hates the cables everywhere. She even wants me to build some sort of cabinet to put my amp into. Not a bad idea but we have bugger all space as it is.

I'm building a couple of new pedal boards right now and trying to do it as cheaply as possible with recylced materials etc. So she comes up to me the other day and tells me that she was looking on ebay and found that you can buy cases for pedals (pedaltrain etc). When I point out how much they cost, her response was "well just buy one I don't want to see cables everywhere!"). If she hadn't spent all this month's remaining money on 3 pairs of jeans and a {censored} load of art materials I might just do it. Also this revelation came after the first DIY board (pics to come soon BTW) was almost completed.

I love Mrs Fred to bits but... Women, sigh:rolleyes:

• Members

She even wants me to build some sort of cabinet to put my amp into.

Just buy a nice looking amp. I used to get all kind of crap about my Marshall head and 4x12cab. Now I own a tweed looking peavey classic 30 I don't hear any complaints.

• Members

Just buy a nice looking amp. I used to get all kind of crap about my Marshall head and 4x12cab. Now I own a tweed looking peavey classic 30 I don't hear any complaints.

The amp's not really the problem, it's "all those wires coming out of it". Anyway the little 1x12 boogie isn't exactly massive or intrusive as it is. I know what you mean about tweed amps though, they do look good and a little more like furniture rather than a big black box.

I think downsizing from a 4x12 with marshall head to a classic 30 should have pleased your missus no end. That's a pretty big difference I'm not surprised you didn't get complaints afterwards.

• Members

This is sad to say but my g/f's very (5 years ago) ex found other people.. my g/f is happy for me to spend anything on music. that does not mean i am not hers... she wants me to save so we can buy together... but would prefer that i i am interested in her... and guitar .. rather then a new job..and nothing..

How do you manage to hide your massive parcels coming in the door though?

I test and review a fair amount of gear, so there's always a lot of packages coming in and going out; and one package pretty much looks like the next... ;):D

Actually, my wife is very supportive and she knows that the need for gear goes with the gig. :D

Archived